Broken intake valve spring

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
So, after my last track day, car was running kinda rough. Drove the 2 hours home and then attempted to figure out what was going on as I never got a DTC/CEL.

After trying everyting I finally pulled plugs to find the 8 plug with a bent electrode. This intrigued me so I did compression and leakdown tests and all of the cylinders were right around 235 psi except cylinder 6. Leakdown test revealed good numbers except #6 again which showed 100% leakdown.

I think decided to use a boroscope and looked at #6 piston to find it looked normal. I decided to pull the cam cover and found a broken intake valve spring and cracked retainer.

Car is being torn down tomorrow to see if there are any other issues (hopefully not)

So.....has anyone experienced a broken valve spring in a 5.0? On the day this happened, I didn't over-rev the engine or anything. Just tracking it (road course).

If you have had a broken spring, was anyting else damaged?
Sponsored

OP
OP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I lucked out and the valve was held by the keeper. No damage. Swapped valve springs on both heads and all done. While it was apart I had OPG/crank gear, 2018 IM, CAI and long tubes installed.
Sponsored