Sponsored

Valve cover is leaking 16 PP... going to replace it myself

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Car has 41k miles on it, technically it should be warranty work, but I'd rather do it myself. Haven't been able to locate a good breakdown of what has to come off in order to do it, so i'll just use common sense and experience as my guide ;)

That being said, the part number I was able to come up with for the gasket is BB5Z-6584-A. Looks like a rubber seal and 2 smaller seals. Anyone who has done this confirm that is the correct PN? Any other info would be welcome as well.
Sponsored

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Car has 41k miles on it, technically it should be warranty work, but I'd rather do it myself. Haven't been able to locate a good breakdown of what has to come off in order to do it, so i'll just use common sense and experience as my guide ;)

That being said, the part number I was able to come up with for the gasket is BB5Z-6584-A. Looks like a rubber seal and 2 smaller seals. Anyone who has done this confirm that is the correct PN? Any other info would be welcome as well.
Can you show photo of area?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Car has 41k miles on it, technically it should be warranty work, but I'd rather do it myself.
I love working on my car as much as the next guy, but I would discourage doing anything like this during your warranty period. Yes, it's a relatively easy job, but you give an opening for warranty denial should something go wrong with the engine. Further, by having the dealer do the work you establish a history if the underlying problem turns out to be more than just a defective gasket.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I don't know the car well enough yet to know if this is the case, but if it involves taking the timing chain cover off, and removing the timing chain, there are some special tools that you need to hold the camshafts in position, and a procedure that you follow when buttoning the engine back up to make sure the crank and cams are in the proper position (i.e. valve timing).

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I don't know the car well enough yet to know if this is the case, but if it involves taking the timing chain cover off, and removing the timing chain, there are some special tools that you need to hold the camshafts in position, and a procedure that you follow when buttoning the engine back up to make sure the crank and cams are in the proper position (i.e. valve timing).
Nope. Cover comes off without all that nonsense.

Sponsored

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
...I would discourage doing anything like this during your warranty period. Yes, it's a relatively easy job, but you give an opening for warranty denial should something go wrong with the engine. Further, by having the dealer do the work you establish a history if the underlying problem turns out to be more than just a defective gasket.
I second this. And I acknowledge and support our collective mistrust and dislike for taking our cars to the stealer. But why spend $47 (or $29 or $73 or w/e it costs) when you can get it done for free?? Have you already learned that they do not agree with your assessment?

OP
OP
Aaron_ATX

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Can you show photo of area?
20180917_120205.jpg
20180917_162328.jpg
20180917_162423.jpg

Its not pouring oil out of it yet, but it is not sealed correctly. There are a few other spots where the oil is much more obviously wet and new, but I couldnt cram my phone in there to get a good pic

As for why I would rather do the work myself ~

I had some warranty work done before the car hit 36k (timing cover leak, oil pressure sensor leak, other minor issues) and I had to make an appointment 3 weeks in advance, took 2 weeks to repair (with a majority of that wait time the car was not touched) and the quality of the work on the timing chain cover seal was sub par imho. Wiring harness clips were broken / not attached correctly in some spots, ugly excess silicon, did not clean off the old oil that had leaked out, looks like a gorilla removed my harmonic balancer bolt. And honestly, when it comes right down to it, unless it is a major problem (nuked engine) I don't trust whatever low level mechanic that may or may not be assigned to fixing my car. I've worked in shops and turned wrenches a long time, I am perfectly capable of rebuilding the entire motor let alone pulling a valve cover :p

Honestly its probably leaking now because of a poor job reinstalling the valve cover then they loosened it / removed it to do the timing chain cover.

I'll spend my money on it so that I know it is done correctly. And, shit, I enjoy it :)

And there is absolutely no way I would be denied future warranty work...unless during this process I break something...and in that case I deserve it!

Last edited:

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Don't laugh at me, but did you retorque the valve cover bolts?

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
There is a torque and bolt pattern to be followed to avoid leaks, doubt they followed it or looked. I remember there was a guy that had his warranty denied because his mechanic had taken off the cover for whatever reason, if they find out of course they can give you trouble make no mistake about it.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Since the original poster is in Texas, I'll say this:

Texas' climate seems to bring out the worst in engines as far as leaks go. Months of driving in high heat conditions, with the A/C going full blast seems to make engines that would be just fine anywhere else start leaking...

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
And there is absolutely no way I would be denied future warranty work...unless during this process I break something...and in that case I deserve it!
You're probably right, especially if you are as experienced as you claim and the dealer previously removed the valve cover. I can't think of any way Ford could pin any future problems you might have to you pulling the cover rather than the dealer pulling it. Just don't drop your inscribed wedding ring in there...
Sponsored