Sponsored

Valets and sticks.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
1711198462556-er.png

Not my picture, but I had something similar visiting my mom when she was in the hospital. The main lot was full, so I pulled up to the valet line. A young lady at the stand brightened up when she saw the car and started to hurry over. As she approached, I asked "You drive stick?" and got a pout. She had to go find someone else to park it.

I don't often valet the car, but that was the only time I had that experience. Anyone else?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Close.

My truck was at the Toyota dealer last year, getting the antifreeze replaced.

At pickup, one of the workers left to a far lot to bring it up to the entrance. Then she came back.

She'd started to leave the parking area, realized she could not drive a stick and returned.

She didn't know how to drive it, but knew enough she could've damaged the clutch trying.

I didn't mind. I actually appreciated she'd left it where it was.

During the recent Mustang BCM update, the mobile tech and I discussed the same topic: many younger folks do not know how to drive a manual; they've never experienced one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
During the recent Mustang BCM update, the mobile tech and I discussed the same topic: many younger folks do not know how to drive a manual; they've never experienced one.
This is why I don't use the free home pick-up/drop-off service my dealer offers. I'm not giving my 460HP 4-speed to the lowest paid employee in the shop.

Last edited:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
A couple of years ago a metal sheet flew off a truck in front of me on the highway and damaged my hood when it hit it. The local body shop had a pickup service and a young man brought a young lady to drive back it to their shop. I asked if she could drive a stick and she said yes, then I watched her jerk and buck my car for a block down our street until she gave up, called the shop, and 20 minutes later the owner showed up to drive it. The other 20-something guy with her could not drive a stick either.

Later on when they finished the job I showed up to pick up my car and the same gal said she would go to the back to bring it out to the front parking lot. I said no thanks I'll drive it; she said no customers allowed in the back lot, the owner overheard and let me go get my car.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of drivers under 30-35 or so have never learned to drive a manual.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Arcane skill. It's OK. The kids are alright.

Sponsored

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
I work at a resort and have seen this. There have been a few times where the valets have come inside to ask us to park a car because no one on the staff was able to drive stick! But if it was mandatory to know how to drive one, there wouldn't be any staff! :crackup:

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I actually call my manual my "Mil-Gen anti-theft device".

Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Yep. Left the car running in the valet line, got a valet ticket. 10 minutes later I could still hear my car idling from across the restaurant. Valet came out to find me and asked me to park it. There were 4 valets and I was younger (31) than at least 3 of them.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Watching them tackle a three on a tree would be a hoot.
That's what I learned on! My father, bless his heart, didn't say one cross word even though I broke the antenna off his fender. Both my children and my daughter-in-law drive manual cars and I'm sure the grandkids will be taught in a few years. Probably have to be their other grandfather though since he has a manual or two. Still 8 years or so away so who knows, maybe Iā€™ll pick something up. As long as they learn, I'm good šŸ‘

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
A couple of years ago a metal sheet flew off a truck in front of me on the highway and damaged my hood when it hit it. The local body shop had a pickup service and a young man brought a young lady to drive back it to their shop. I asked if she could drive a stick and she said yes, then I watched her jerk and buck my car for a block down our street until she gave up, called the shop, and 20 minutes later the owner showed up to drive it. The other 20-something guy with her could not drive a stick either.

Later on when they finished the job I showed up to pick up my car and the same gal said she would go to the back to bring it out to the front parking lot. I said no thanks I'll drive it; she said no customers allowed in the back lot, the owner overheard and let me go get my car.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of drivers under 30-35 or so have never learned to drive a manual.
I hope he deducted from the service for her screw up, Id yell at her if I were the boss for attempting to drive it again

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
I got a small circle, half of them know stick and only two are younger than me. Everyone else who does know is older than me, and Im 35

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
In the past (years ago) any time I have ever had to use ā€œvaletā€ parking, Iā€™ve driven up to the valet area, told the Valet Iā€™ll park it, keep my keys, pick it up, and tipped them a few bucksā€¦ and did exactly as I said I would, with never an issue or kick back from the valetā€¦

I will not ever let a valet in my vehicle to move it, park it or retrieve it.

jayson_b24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I had a valet one comment on the DCT in my wife's Kona. I tried to explain it, but you could tell I was talking to a wall...
Sponsored