ShelbyEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Accord "sport"
Hello all,
Is there a guide on buying a USED GT350? What to look for, potential dealbreakers, things I can use against the dealership to reduce the price?
Examples:
4K miles 2019 GT350 with worn-out stock tires indicates it was used for track use ( higher potential for engine failure? )
Engine barcode indicating it's a GEN 1 voodoo ( aka not as reliable as GEN 2 )
Hand Built Label has 2 signatures ( consistency concerns ) - this one isn't the biggest issue obviously.

Like I know what to look out for in a typical used car, but what should I be concerned about in terms of a GT350.

I plan on getting a 2019 GT350 since it is the most reliable. I know 2020 has quality control issues (COVID) so I'm shying away from those.
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hello all,
Is there a guide on buying a USED GT350? What to look for, potential dealbreakers, things I can use against the dealership to reduce the price?
Examples:
4K miles 2019 GT350 with worn-out stock tires indicates it was used for track use ( higher potential for engine failure? )
Hand Built Label has 2 signatures ( consistency concerns ) - this one isn't the biggest issue obviously.

Like I know what to look out for in a typical used car, but what should I be concerned about in terms of a GT350.

I plan on getting a 2019 GT350 since it is the most reliable. I know 2020 has quality control issues (COVID) so I'm shying away from those.
As far as using anything against the dealership to reduce the price, that's going to be tough in the current market.

4K miles with worn out tires isn't necessarily an indication of track use since the Cup2s that come with the 2019+ cars wear out quite quickly. If the car was tracked heavily then the tires wouldn't make it to 4k miles. Maybe ask the dealership for new tires? I assume they would have to do that anyway otherwise the car might not pass safety. Although new tires are hard to come by now for the GT350.

Perhaps checking the wear level on the brake rotors might be a better indication of track use?

"Gen 1" vs "Gen 2" has been discussed extensively so I'm not getting into that but if you are concerned about "Gen 1" then anything 2019+ will have "Gen 2".

Signature labels don't mean anything.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that 2020 has any more issues than any other model year. If you are looking for an R then 2020 seems to be the way to go actually (has all the updates).

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Fake news.

While not exhaustive, thereā€™s a section on what to look for in the GT350 Basics sticky.

Lytheum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302, 1966 GT Fastback
When I was shopping last year someone on the forum suggested checking the track screen for any signs of hard driving (0-60, 60-0, other telemetry data). Also check the stored avg mpg. If it has not been reset, a low mpg could indicate harder driving.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
A bit of a tangent, but this is what I came up with-

1) Order Mach 1 below MSRP
2) Drive for 1-2 years, then trade for newest and greatest S650, or a used GT350 sold at a sane price, or just keep the Mach

GT350 prices are just astronomical right now. I know people on this forum will disagree (most being GT350 owners), but it doesnā€™t make sense to me that 2017 GT350s with 15k+ miles are selling for more than a new M1 when the M1 is basically a GT350 without the Voodoo but nicer electronics. You are paying essentially a $20k premium for that engine and badging.

Anyway just my 0.02. Everything is expensive right now, and even if you order the Mach you are gonna have to wait 4+ months or get reamed at the dealership.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I honestly canā€™t understand these type of posts. First off a Mach 1 is NOT a Gt350 or ever will be. By this logic buy a Gt with this or that package because after all its almost a Mach 1 for less. I completely agree however on pricing currently. The one difference there are no signs the Gt350ā€™s are going down in price any time soon or at all. If someone truly wants a Gt350 there is no substitute for that. Thereā€™s a reason why the Gt350 has the accolades it does and commands the value it does.

A bit of a tangent, but this is what I came up with-

1) Order Mach 1 below MSRP
2) Drive for 1-2 years, then trade for newest and greatest S650, or a used GT350 sold at a sane price, or just keep the Mach

GT350 prices are just astronomical right now. I know people on this forum will disagree (most being GT350 owners), but it doesnā€™t make sense to me that 2017 GT350s with 15k+ miles are selling for more than a new M1 when the M1 is basically a GT350 without the Voodoo but nicer electronics. You are paying essentially a $20k premium for that engine and badging.

Anyway just my 0.02. Everything is expensive right now, and even if you order the Mach you are gonna have to wait 4+ months or get reamed at the dealership.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I honestly canā€™t understand these type of posts
Well, I posted because I was feeling bored and a bit belligerent. And also because this post appeared on the front page and I legitimately did want to make OP aware of (what I consider) to be the better option, unless he has literally piles of money to burn.

First off a Mach 1 is NOT a Gt350 or ever will be. By this logic buy a Gt with this or that package because after all its almost a Mach 1 for less.
By that same logic, a GT350 is just a GT with a different engine (especially the 2015/2016 base GT350's). Like it or not, the Mach and GT350 are pretty much the same car, and I'll die on that hill.

If someone truly wants a Gt350 there is no substitute for that.
I should add I am a GT350 fan and was originally planning on getting one before pandemic pricing made everything squirrelly. But if you can get over losing the sound of the Voodoo and the special badging....the Mach is really the better option right now, and offers a substantially similar driving experience.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Have you owned both? No one I have heard one with extensive seat time in both has thought this way.
Owned? No. There are other forumites who have owned both and agree with my assessment, as have several auto journalists.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-first-test-review/
https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-gt350-gt500-test-data/
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...lby-gt350-with-a-smaller-engine-ar188593.html

etc

Put differently, what mechanically makes them different besides the engine?

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
First, what makes you think the tires are worn? Are you familar with the SC2's? Those unfamilar with them alwys think they're worn.
Other than the tires, and track time, which may or may not be, you've described my car exactly. And it's running great, and not using any oil.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
Owned? No. There are other forumites who have owned both and agree with my assessment, as have several auto journalists.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-first-test-review/
https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-mustang-mach-1-shelby-gt350-gt500-test-data/
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...lby-gt350-with-a-smaller-engine-ar188593.html

etc

Put differently, what mechanically makes them different besides the engine?
From your own link: "As good as the Mach 1 was at the test track, it took a bit more courting on our favorite back road. One of the highlights of the GT350 and GT350R was the way you could immediately get comfortable with their handling characteristics. The Mach 1 doesn't have that same easy charisma. It takes more experience to get tabs on how the car behaves. A Shelby feels familiar and confident within 100 feet on your favorite winding road. The Mach 1 doesn't fully connect until you're halfway through the drive. The car feels a bit nervous at first, a bit heavy and awkward, but once you learn to read its movements and reactions, you realize they're false flags and you can push the car much harder than you initially think"

I think this says the exact opposite of your point. I'm not sure making a "mechanically" distinction is the most important considering that so much of a car's characteristics are now electrically controlled (even damping, not just stability control). Also, the other links don't talk about fun, they talk about performance numbers. I'm happy to agree there, I bet it has very similar performance numbers.

That said, the Mach 1 is a great car, and if you prefer it and find it a cheaper GT350, all the power to ya. It will definitely save a few bucks! I don't want to derail this gent's thread about GT350 buying tips.