Sponsored

USAA was great.. Until they you need them

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Short version: USAA used to be great, now they are a cheap insurance that doesn't deliver.

Long version: I'm at my last straw with USAA and just wanted to know if it was just me. It's fine until it's not on and then it's impossible to resolve anything.

House claim - utter nightmare. Literally just finished a two year repair that should have been 4 months. USAA recommended vendor who was just awful. Tried to cut corners, tried to say they installed something but didn't, damaged house and tried to undercut repair... Just awful.

Car accident - adjuster refused evidence provided (says it didn't follow her process), tried follow her process and got ignored, reps refuse to escalate. When you do find a manager, they are too busy to deal with customers. No advocate, no executive support group. After weeks of chasing our tails, USAA faults me 100% because we didn't submit anything and they said they used Google maps to determine I was at fault.

Is USAA now the worst there is?
Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Just switched myself, for different reasonsā€¦when I made the move from CA to TX, my rates went UP and none of them could explain why.

thought it was a fluke until I called around and went to another carrier for almost 50% lessā€¦

ā€¦sometimes I think they do things with the thought you would never leave, strictly because of the military connection.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
FWIW

I've had USAA car insurance for 13 years now. Never needed it use it during that time.

I did shop around a couple months ago and it's still the cheapest, or at least on par with the cheapest options for me.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I sold my ATC trailer to a guy from CA up around San Fran. He is using it to move to there new place around Dallas. I asked him about the car insurance and homeowners thinking TX had to be less then CA. I was surprised when he said it wasnā€™t and that the property taxā€™s were higher as well.

Just switched myself, for different reasonsā€¦when I made the move from CA to TX, my rates went UP and none of them could explain why.

thought it was a fluke until I called around and went to another carrier for almost 50% lessā€¦

ā€¦sometimes I think they do things with the thought you would never leave, strictly because of the military connection.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Iā€™ve never heard anything bad about USAA. Years ago when I had a shop I never had issueā€™s with them. Itā€™s interesting to hear thatā€™s changed. Iā€™m with Geico on most autoā€™s. I havenā€™t had any issueā€™s but then again I was in that scenario so much I knew how to deal with them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
For years I never had to use them either. Last time was about eight or so years ago. Great, professional, informative. Now it's been bad to worse. Courteous but inattentive, present but not helpful. Multiple subpar vendors cutting corners, bad service, zero accountability... What the heck happened. They use to be cheap and awesome, now they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

USAA use to be a company I could trust. Insurance was what started them, now it's a joke. Uncompetitive loans (home and auto), useless insurance (home and auto)... Shame. Always liked supporting veteran ran businesses. Just can't get behind them anymore. Rather pay more to know when I do need them, they will have my back

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I've had to file claims 4 times in the past 7 years. To the OP, you don't have to use "their" recommended vendor. My first claim was after a huge hailstorm in Colorado. I had heard that if your home was paid off, they would lower the amount of the claim. They paid $40K within 3 days of the claim. The next 2 claims were from my wife's car being rear-ended twice at the same stop light by Soldiers on their cell phones. Both times the other drivers had USAA and USAA paid to have the car fixed with no problem. The last claim was 2 months ago on my other home due to wind damage and USAA paid immediately without any fuss. A lot has to do with your luck of the draw adjuster. Having said all of this, I do know that I could probably get my autos insured cheaper elsewhere...they are killing me for my 21-year-old son having a 2018 WRX. That dang car insurance is more expensive than the Corvette Z06 and all the other cars combined.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Might want to look at Hagerty for your Mustang.

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)
Dropped USAA twenty years ago for an extremely bad customer service experience after making my one and only claim. Never looked back.

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
USAA has insured my cars since 1966, property since 1968, and homes since 1975. Needed them just a few times; no gripes. Last claim, six months ago, my fault, was handled beautifully. They recommended several repair shops, but I went with a different one, and had no problem. (My rate did not subsequently go up.) I check rates periodically, and they're always the best.
I have a few of their investments, which are average. Their credit card plans are the best around.
My credit rating hovers around 835; that may be a factor; ymmv.

Sponsored

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
p.s. Why is this thread in the "non-G6" forum? Won't get much attention...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
USAA got crushed by claims for several years running. They are not on sound footing last I checked. It's not an excuse to fail at customer service or honoring their contractual obligations.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Their credit card plans are the best around.
My credit rating hovers around 835; that may be a factor; ymmv.
Same. I've used their CC and banking primarily for 20 years now. Great credit score too.

I'll hang on until/if I get a bad experience with an insurance claim if that ever comes.

On man I can tell a story of my experience with State Farm. šŸ¤£

Bought a car on a Friday evening. T-Boned by an uninsured bitch the next night.
-$8k

That car was stolen 2 years later.
-$18k pay out

Bought a G35 coupe that I totaled 2 years later. My fault; hit some black ice at the end of an on ramp during construction. Bounced off Jersey walls because there was no shoulder.

They wanted to raise my rates x4. Been with USAA ever since. :like:

Darthy Jo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1986 Panther Kallista
I'll add my bit.

I used to have a Hyundai Tiburon that a deer hit the side of on an on-ramp. Slight fender damage but I called them and they said they wouldn't cover it because it was "an act of god". In shock, I asked who's god was it because there's thousands of religions, some with many gods? Lol. I paid for repairs myself.

Another time, I rear-ended a guy at a toll plaza at about 3mph. Totally my fault, but I took pictures (with my first cell phone camera!), no damage, not even a scratch on his plastic license plate frame. We chuckled and parted ways. 2.5 years later he calls and says he's filing a claim. 2.5 years! I laughed and said fine, and I sent USAA the pictures. They said they were required to honor his claim, even with photographic proof of zero damage! I argued that as my insurance company, they were obligated to investigate and it all screamed fraud. Statue of limitations is 3 years. My guess is that their kid got their license and backed it into the garage wall.

Well I lost both arguments and switched to Geico and saved more than 15%.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've had USAA since the mid 80s. I don't have a lot of claims, but I've had mostly good experiences with them.
Sponsored