Sponsored

Upgrading base sound system - Best Method?

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I just purchased a 2018 Mustang GT Premium/401a package, with NO shaker system. What is the best and LEAST obtrusive way to upgrade the sound system? What if I just want a trunk mounted sub? I'm assuming I would need an amp but I see a ton of options online and I don't want to tear apart all my doors if I don't have too.

What is best option for me?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Depends what you're after.

If you just want more bass, then all you'll need is a subwoofer and amp in the trunk.

If you want better sound quality, you'll have to at the least open up the doors and replace the speakers, and may want to install another amp for the speakers.

What's your budget?

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends what you're after.

If you just want more bass, then all you'll need is a subwoofer and amp in the trunk.

If you want better sound quality, you'll have to at the least open up the doors and replace the speakers, and may want to install another amp for the speakers.

What's your budget?

Uhhh, below $700? I'm not looking for something to rattle my brain in my skull

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Below $700 just stick with a mono amplifier and a trunk mounted sub. You are not going to improve the sound of the satellite speakers with that small of an investment. It's also important to note that "rattling" your brain has nothing to do with what [MENTION=20644]ahl395[/MENTION] is talking about. He's speaking about an increase in sound quality not an increase in sound pressure or volume.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Below $700 just stick with a mono amplifier and a trunk mounted sub. You are not going to improve the sound of the satellite speakers with that small of an investment. It's also important to note that "rattling" your brain has nothing to do with what [MENTION=20644]ahl395[/MENTION] is talking about. He's speaking about an increase in sound quality not an increase in sound pressure or volume.
Ok I got you. I was actually interested in a trunk mounted sub. Is there a particular brand I should look for?

I was looking at this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700BPKRF4/Rockford-Fosgate-400-Watt-Bass-Package.html?tp=61893

I know I would need wiring, but am I on the right track here?

Sponsored

Type550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolute Black 2017 GT Fastback (Manual)
Ok I got you. I was actually interested in a trunk mounted sub. Is there a particular brand I should look for?

I was looking at this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700BPKRF4/Rockford-Fosgate-400-Watt-Bass-Package.html?tp=61893

I know I would need wiring, but am I on the right track here?
You should check out the JL Audio Stealthbox for the Mustang GT. Looks like a nice tight OEM fit in the boot. If you can stretch your budget a little further, it's around $800.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694617/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html

AND you could pair it up with some decent 2-way components for the front stage, like these:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISS165/Focal-Integration-ISS-165.html

I think you'd see a significant improvement in sound quality and bass response.

I'm planning a similar upgrade for my '17 GT, but I have the 9-speaker Shaker system, so I'll be going with some nice Focal Flax 3-way components up front, 2-way Flax coaxials in the rear and a Stealthbox in the trunk :thumbsup:

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
These three speak the truth and it will be those three that I will be asking advice for when I'm ready...their posts are gold when it comes to this stuff from all that I've read by them.

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
You should check out the JL Audio Stealthbox for the Mustang GT. Looks like a nice tight OEM fit in the boot. If you can stretch your budget a little further, it's around $800.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13694617/JL-Audio-Stealthbox.html

AND you could pair it up with some decent 2-way components for the front stage, like these:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISS165/Focal-Integration-ISS-165.html

I think you'd see a significant improvement in sound quality and bass response.

I'm planning a similar upgrade for my '17 GT, but I have the 9-speaker Shaker system, so I'll be going with some nice Focal Flax 3-way components up front, 2-way Flax coaxials in the rear and a Stealthbox in the trunk :thumbsup:
You would also need an amplifier right? What amplifier do you recommend to pair with this set up?

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would also need an amplifier right? What amplifier do you recommend to pair with this set up?
I think you do yeah. I was looking at these but it is more on the expensive side for me as Ill be paying about $1k with a decent amp to drive it + wiring and install.

It would definitely be my first choice though.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Are you willing to give up a little trunk space? There are several offerings from zenclosures that fit up against the back seat. Their single sub units have room for the sub on one side and room for an amp on the other. They are less than $150 for the enclosure... pick your sub and amp.

I like them because they are well built, the carpeting matches the rest of the trunk and they look like they came from the factory.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I think you do yeah. I was looking at these but it is more on the expensive side for me as Ill be paying about $1k with a decent amp to drive it + wiring and install.

It would definitely be my first choice though.
Are you willing to give up a little trunk space? There are several offerings from zenclosures that fit up against the back seat. Their single sub units have room for the sub on one side and room for an amp on the other. They are less than $150 for the enclosure... pick your sub and amp.

I like them because they are well built, the carpeting matches the rest of the trunk and they look like they came from the factory.
I will echo what others have said. The JL setup is nice if you're tight on space, but is overpriced in my opinion. If you can afford to give up some trunk space I would recommend a zenclosures box and then you can pick a subwoofer and amp to go with it. It will probably sound better and louder than the JL and could be cheaper depending on what components you choose.

Personally from experience I would recommend a single Fi Q12 sub. Between the box and the sub you'd be at around $600. A decent cheap amp to go with it would be the Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D at around $250. The Q has excellent sound quality and will probably more than satisfy how much bass you're looking for.

driden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I just purchased a 2018 Mustang GT Premium/401a package, with NO shaker system. What is the best and LEAST obtrusive way to upgrade the sound system? What if I just want a trunk mounted sub? I'm assuming I would need an amp but I see a ton of options online and I don't want to tear apart all my doors if I don't have too.

What is best option for me?

https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300-12/

Fits neatly against the back seat, has the amp built in. All you need is a power kit (to get power to the sub) and tap into the rear speakers for the input signal. :clap2:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you’re going to go with something on a budget stick with JL amplifiers and subwoofers. Their a good solid brand with good customer service. Like buying a GE washer or something. Is it cutting edge? No, is it dependable? Yes. Fi subs are overrated boutique subs that had their minute in the car Audio sun almost 8 years ago. I wasted plenty on them o my to be disappointed time and again. There are better choices these days. Zenclosures are cheap which is nice, but they are heavy. You really have to decide if you want trunk space or sound. It sounds like you want an affordable upgrade that isn’t going to break the $1000 mark. Don’t just shop Crutchfield, make some local connections with people who compete, I understand that you don’t however, listening to good sound makes choosing gear based on your ears perception much easier than relying on a forum.
A car Audio proverb “ Trust your ears, but only once you learn how to listen.”

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I ordered a Zenclosure and it is pretty darn nice for the price. They will even make adjustments to the size of your sub opening and volume of enclosure. I honestly can't imagine that you could build this for less money, especially if you don't have all the tools already. It is fairly heavy though, so if weight is a consideration you may want to look elsewhere.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
12" Kicker Comp S sub w/generic ported box
300w Kicker Amp under the carpet
Have a bass knob under the steering wheel
Less than $300 and it hits hard
picture.jpg