Update Base Sound System Speakers

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers in my 15 V6. I want a better more high end sound without spending a fortune on a new head unit at this time. That will come later. What speakers have you guys put in? Did you also install an amp? Sub? I'm curious as I'm thinking of getting Bang and Olofson (sp?) speakers but if there's another brand that's better I'm all ears.
Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers in my 15 V6. I want a better more high end sound without spending a fortune on a new head unit at this time. That will come later. What speakers have you guys put in? Did you also install an amp? Sub? I'm curious as I'm thinking of getting Bang and Olofson (sp?) speakers but if there's another brand that's better I'm all ears.
I wasn't aware that B&O made anything other that OEM systems for Aston Martin, Audi, etc... regardless, they are pretty pricey.

Just to be clear, you have the 6 speaker system, correct? I have heard a number of systems with Hertz speakers, so I can recommend them as being very smooth while still detailed. Dynaudio is also good, but a bit more clinical sounding. Both manufacturers would be considered more high end and therefore, more expensive. What is your budget?

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm going to piggyback this question - I have the base system in my S550 and am frustrated with the audio quality, and lack of bass. I'm wondering if there are any "plug and play" sets of speakers I could purchase to have installed? Would this be effective? Also, would a sub be required for decent bass levels?

Thanks - I don't know a lot about this area unfortunately.

I wasn't aware that B&O made anything other that OEM systems for Aston Martin, Audi, etc... regardless, they are pretty pricey.

Just to be clear, you have the 6 speaker system, correct? I have heard a number of systems with Hertz speakers, so I can recommend them as being very smooth while still detailed. Dynaudio is also good, but a bit more clinical sounding. Both manufacturers would be considered more high end and therefore, more expensive. What is your budget?

vnzbd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6
I don't see away to to get decent bass without a sub. A lot of us have installed subs using a variety of amps, subs and enclosures. Figure out your goal for your bass depending on music type and volume level wants. That should help you which direction to go.

OP
OP
Stam616

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic

They do make products for sale and they’re not too pricey . I’m not sure what my budget will be as I’m still trying to figure out what I’ll need. I have the base sound system so yes it’s six speakers . I just want to get a really good sound out of the system without changing the head unit and not being able to use my synce or steering wheel audio controls . Thanks for the tips on the speakers though. I’ll check them out :)

Sponsored

kh1818

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I don't see away to to get decent bass without a sub. A lot of us have installed subs using a variety of amps, subs and enclosures. Figure out your goal for your bass depending on music type and volume level wants. That should help you which direction to go.
Got it - I think my priority is not necessarily achieving the perfect bass for my music tastes, but rather to just improve the sound without modifying the head unit I suppose.

I'll have to dig around, but what I would hope I could do is purchase a set of "plug and play" speakers to replace the base speakers, and then maybe a little sub. I appreciate your input!

Do such plug and play systems exist? Do I have to modify the head unit?

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I got a complete Rockford setup installed for $1000. Kept the stock HU. Rockford prime speakers all the way around and tweeters powered by a 4 channel and 12”P3 powered by 750 mono. Pretty loud and decent quality. Certainly satisfied for the money I spent.

terryz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base manual
Just swap the 4 main speakers, should be less than $200. I did it myself, and the improvement is significant. Make sure the speakers have high sensitivity as the stock amp is pretty weak.

Of course this is no comparison to a proper setup with a sub, but this is the easiest/cheapest approach for more bass and clearer midrange.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Just swap the 4 main speakers, should be less than $200. I did it myself, and the improvement is significant. Make sure the speakers have high sensitivity as the stock amp is pretty weak.

Of course this is no comparison to a proper setup with a sub, but this is the easiest/cheapest approach for more bass and clearer midrange.
what speakers you go with?

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I just ordered Focal speakers. Can't wait to get them installed and tested.

Sponsored

Swedish Meatballs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium - California Special
Am also considering this (there are multiple threads on this topic, hint hint).

Stopped by the local shop yesterday and they had some nice stuff in their showroom - Rockford, JL Audio and Kenwood were the bigger brands carried. They demonstrated various options in the shop (obviously with the dynamics of the sound as present in their showroom) but enough to give a basic understanding of differences between models, brands and price levels.

Sound is so very subjective, the likelihood of someone recommending something they installed and that matching your set of ears and tastes 100% is just minuscule.

I'm going back to the shop, I'll have them look at what's in my car now (apparently there are differences between and within MY) and then I'll have them quote replacing door speakers, center speakers, tweeters and sub woofer individually, with 2 or 3 different price points.

After that I should be able to decide and get a good idea on how much I want to invest.

Danman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Almost anything is better than the stock speakers. Start with replacing the 6 door and pillar speakers and disconnecting the center channel speaker. You will hear immediate improvement. Adding additional amps (to replace stock), a sub, and a sound processor will get you to nirvana.
Sponsored