BaileytheDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Convertible, PP1
Hi Gang,
I currently have my GT sleeping for the winter. Battery is out of it and stored in the basement. Car is in a unheated garage.
I changed the oil, filled it up and added gas additive before I put it away (drove it around after I added). Washed and waxed and covered. I have all-season tires on it, the P-Zeros are also in the basement.

Is there anything that I need to do when I pull it out of storage?
I tried doing a search but really could not find anything. If you know of a thread, you can just point me there.

Cannot wait for warm weather! Thanks
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The only thing I do for the first start after winter hibernation is to turn the engine over a bunch of times to get the oil circulating before it starts. It may not be necessary, but easy enough to do. Just press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there. It shuts off the fuel injectors. While holding the gas pedal to the floor, press the start button. The engine will turn over a bunch of times and then stop because it's not starting. I go through that cycle twice. Then start that car normally and off you go!

OP
OP
BaileytheDog

BaileytheDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Convertible, PP1
Thanks, I did not know that it did that. I'm guessing new way of doing it if it is flooded.

The only thing I do for the first start after winter hibernation is to turn the engine over a bunch of times to get the oil circulating before it starts. It may not be necessary, but easy enough to do. Just press the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there. It shuts off the fuel injectors. While holding the gas pedal to the floor, press the start button. The engine will turn over a bunch of times and then stop because it's not starting. I go through that cycle twice. Then start that car normally and off you go!

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Do the above and you are set.

I’ve been working on being less car ocd so I don’t do this anymore but if you want to take it up a notch get some spray silicone (make sure it’s pure silicone) and spray some on a rag and wipe down your rubber seals. Got this tip from a guy who used to detail cars in south Florida and it kept the rubber like new in the Florida heat.

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I normally just start it up, drop the tire pressure down to normal and drive it, no issues yet.

On a side note: are you Tom from 95.1?...

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Move. :giggle:

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I simplified my storing this year, full tank of 93, tire pressure 40lbs, cleaned and tire dressing, neutral & no parking brake, tender & cover. Roll the car a few inches every month…. Come spring, lower tire pressure, crank over as mentioned above while watching the oil pressure gauge and enjoy

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I lower pressures in the tires. Afterwards, I start the car as I would normally, watch oil pressure, exhaust. The first drive is about an hour straight, to ensure consistent heat, good fluid circulation and confirm there are no problems. Throughout the first drive, I'm not trying to hit it out of the park or get on it. Just monitoring and checking. All future drives, the car is driven as hard as I like :rockon:.

Last season was my first coming out of hibernation. The car started and drove flawless. 😁

Last edited:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I plan on uncovering mine, removing the tender, adjusting the tire pressure and firing it up. Mine is only in the freezer for a couple months though, I drove it New Years day last and plan on bringing out sometime early March. Next year I might not store at all, I hope to have all season tires by then and be rid of the dreadful Nitto 555G2 tires.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I drive mine 2-3 times month. It don't snow everyday and if you wait a couple a days after its snows you can drive on salt snow free roads.

April will be here in 2 months

scoobaru88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
Mine usually stays in the carport for winter - but I just fire it up few times a month, roll it back and forth in driveway some, if roads have been fine I take it around the block. I even leave the e85 in her, fires right up no problems when its 10degrees out.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Thanks, I did not know that it did that. I'm guessing new way of doing it if it is flooded.
That's pretty much what all EFI engines do; it's called "clear flood mode" when the PCM detects the TPS at WOT when cranking, it disables the fuel injectors. I've had to do that on my Honda once when it sounded like it had no compression on a very cold morning. It cranked up and sputtered then turned like no compression. Holding it to the floor and cranking it eventually caused one cylinder to fire, then another, then another until the engine revved up past 1500 then I released the throttle and all was well. BTW it's a known Honda symptom from back in the 90's that occurs once in a while.

OP
OP
BaileytheDog

BaileytheDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT Convertible, PP1
Update: I got the car out of storage last weekend. I did what J17GT said to get the oil pressure up. Once it was there, I started it right up. I let it warm up, then shut it down and checked the oil.
Drove it 1.5 hrs home taking the scenic route. Only ran it up to 90 once when I was almost home! I did pull the battery for the winter and I was surprised that almost all presets where still available. I did have to reset the MyMode and the Gauges on the dash display. But everything else; seats, interior colors, garage door openers, radio stations, etc. where all still where I had them.
Took it to work yesterday and put a few gallons of new fuel in to replace what I burned off. Thanks all for your help.
Sponsored