BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Hello all,

I just picked up a set of second hand MAK cat delete pipes. I've done searching on here and in facebook groups and I've seen 1 or 2 people say they've ran them without a tune but not for long. The guy I bought them off of ran them with defoulers and no tune but not sure how long for. Car will be __parked over winter but would I be ok running them until spring? Got a 350 mani and tb that I'm gonna have have ported and install in the spring and I'd rather just get tuned once for everything.

*edit* Found the installation instructions on MAK's website.

Also what gaskets should I get? Can I use 2 of the passenger side OEM gaskets?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Will it run? Yes Will it run good? No The main thing that gets adjusted in the tune is called COT. This setting needs to be turned off when you get long tubes or remove the cats. Without disabling this you are still dumping extra fuel to cool the cats off. With the cats no longer on the car, you are just dumping extra fuel. The defaulers are also hit or miss from keeping the check engine light coming on.

If you have a tune planned in the future with your manifold/TB. I would just wait and do it all at the same time.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Will it run good? No
Leaving the COT enabled with no cats is not going to make the car not run good...it will just as you mentioned dump extra fuel for no reason.

So OP, while it's not needed for the car to run and to run smoothly, you *should* get it tuned as it will run better and more efficient.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Leaving the COT enabled with no cats is not going to make the car not run good...it will just as you mentioned dump extra fuel for no reason.

So OP, while it's not needed for the car to run and to run smoothly, you *should* get it tuned as it will run better and more efficient.
Well it won't be dumping any more fuel than if I had cats correct? So fuel mileage shouldn't take much of a hit (not that I'm really worried about that it is a v8 after all) and I've had several cars without cats so I'm not too worried about the smell. Also from my understanding of COT it adds extra fuel when it determines the exhaust will be over temp so it shouldn't be constantly dumping fuel correct?

Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
You will be fine, you can run them without a tune but you will have a check engine light. I ran mine without a tune and tried 2 different type of defoulers and no luck with either of them. I eventually got a tune and check engine light went away and of course now the car is actually running optimal as well but it didn’t effect anything.

OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
You will be fine, you can run them without a tune but you will have a check engine light. I ran mine without a tune and tried 2 different type of defoulers and no luck with either of them. I eventually got a tune and check engine light went away and of course now the car is actually running optimal as well but it didn’t effect anything.
Glad to hear. How long did you run them for without a tune?

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
Ran them without a tune for about 4 months. No issues besides the check engine light for no cats.

OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Ran them without a tune for about 4 months. No issues besides the check engine light for no cats.
Awesome! That's about how long I'll have mine on for without the tune.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Could tune for e85 as well then it actually smells really good without the cats in addition to all the extra power :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
Could tune for e85 as well then it actually smells really good without the cats in addition to all the extra power :)
I wish! Closest station to me with E85 is over a half hour away from me and in the opposite direction of where I work.

OP
OP
BigBeed

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2

AdrianMAK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.makperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY Mustang GT Premium
A little late but They can be run with no tune, although one is recommended for maximum gains, the option to not run one is available. For the guys buying them 2nd hand, we can get you guys just the gaskets and flanges if needed, that come include in our New kits.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask or PM.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
A bit late here but the cat inefficiency code does not kill power. Just an annoying light.
Sponsored