Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I second this one. Used last winter and again this one. Works fine. Only wish the bit that connects to battery was about four feet longer, to eliminate opening hood to hook up.
Some wire, lamp cord, solder, wire strippers, and electrical tape, can make it 50ft long if you like.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Tractor supply had some in a bubble pack. They are red and cost about 10 dollars. I bought 6 of them. This was around 2008. All are still working fine.

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
Any smart trickle charger that is 2 amps or lower will work. I have a Noco. There is no such thing as the best as they are all built to do the same thing. Biggest thing is smart so it knows when to charge and not charge, and Amp load is low enough so you don't over charge battery. And how much you wanna spend. Period.

Sponsored

JamieWS6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
06 Mustang GT, 13 Boss 302, 22 Mach 1 coming
In case anyone is interested, the Ctek battery tender is on sale for a pretty reasonable price on amazon. :thumbsup:

1668942140657.png
I tried buying this one but it was a scam. Shortly after Amazon sent me an email the order was canceled and seller is no longer with Amazon. I bought 2 from another supplier on Amazon.

R Frieling

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHO, 2020 GT350,
I use a battery tender but plug it into a timer so it only charges 4 hours a day. That way there's no chance if the tender should malfunctions that it will fry the battery.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I use a battery tender but plug it into a timer so it only charges 4 hours a day. That way there's no chance if the tender should malfunctions that it will fry the battery.

Not necessary 1 and 2 to have it connected to the battery without it being in use.
I think that is a mistake and is not doing the battery any good.

As I don't know for a fact, but the circuit that charges & regulates the charge. When not charging, is a short and could be discharging the battery.

It can be proven, using a Multy meter, set to read resistance. Probe the wire or clamp + - removed from the battery.

Should the display show open, and it won't then your timer thing is fine.

But it will read resistance, which indicates the presence of the charging circuit.

Normal expected not in use is now a short, and what is happening then?

Word to the wise the charger is designed, design, being the key word. To be plugged in and powered on 24 x 7 x 365

Cheers

Redkeyboss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 /. Mach 1 on order
Seems to me that people worry just as much about their chargers than they would about there batteries . Iā€™m from upstate New York and have never had a trickle charger. I had a Gt for five years with OEM battery before I traded for Boss 302. Had the original OEM battery in the Boss for 7 years before I needed to replace. I have unheated garage and all I did is start the cars and let them run when needed. At the same time will move car a little to avoid tire flat spots. Hope I didnā€™t just jinks myself here as I start my 1st winter with my Mach. I am not suggesting anyone do this, it has just worked for me.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
@WD Pro previously provided the attached. Thank You. It references the CTEK unit, which also goes by other brand names.

If you had not used the unit before, if you were curious...it generally takes my car an hour or so to go through the first thre stages. A few hours after that, it has progressed to stage 7. I noticed last night, I finally reached stage eight and am holding there. It took close to two weeks to reach 8. YMMV.

Only wish the bit that connects to battery was about four feet longer, to eliminate opening hood to hook up.
Agree with @Rapid Red . You can custom fab a cable to suit you. I took one of the cables which came with my kit, cut and kept the ends, then fabricated the middle bit, to suit what I was doing. I used standard, multi-strand automotive wire with waterproof crimps. The gauge wire I used was the same as what the kit uses.

40-E73-D44-6251-431-B-9-DEF-FCAB0140562-B.jpg

Cleesj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP 401a 6MT MP
I tried buying this one but it was a scam. Shortly after Amazon sent me an email the order was canceled and seller is no longer with Amazon. I bought 2 from another supplier on Amazon.
Yeah... Unfortunately I think you're correct, my order went through, and am getting a delivery timeline of Dec12-Jan 3 lol... And this is what my tracking info says

Thinking I should probably cancel lol
Screenshot_20221122-100035.png

Schnder95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Roush S/N 22-0001 TP
Seems to me that people worry just as much about their chargers than they would about there batteries . Iā€™m from upstate New York and have never had a trickle charger. I had a Gt for five years with OEM battery before I traded for Boss 302. Had the original OEM battery in the Boss for 7 years before I needed to replace. I have unheated garage and all I did is start the cars and let them run when needed. At the same time will move car a little to avoid tire flat spots. Hope I didnā€™t just jinks myself here as I start my 1st winter with my Mach. I am not suggesting anyone do this, it has just worked for me.
Cold doesn't kill batterys its the heat. Well said sir.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Thinking I should probably cancel lol
I've had a few items with tracking like that. The items always arrived.

I think it is being drop shipped from China.

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
Cars are so much different than in the old days. Electronics and communications drawing power so much if the time, even when the car is turned off. They used to be mechanical beasts that drew no power when off. No longer the case!
Sponsored