Tranny Fluid Choice (Motul)

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Disregard…found the page from the ‘20 350 supplement. Tranny fluid is unchanged.

IMG_7971.png
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It’s a ‘17, and this is directly from the 350 supplement. Did the tranny fluid change in later years?
Oh no wonder, this is a GT350 we're talking about lol. Sorry, not my best day (didn't even notice this was in this section, I'm dumb). You are correct with that spec for the Tremec.

Last edited:
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh no wonder, this is a GT350 we're talking about lol. Sorry, not my best day (didn't even notice this was in this section, I'm dumb). You are correct with that spec for the Tremec.

LOL…it’s all good, man. It happens. Now, back on track for the 350 guys…fluid… ;)

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Sorry, I only answer Bourbon questions.................. Besides, I have a Manual ;-)
My manual says to only drink bud light when you need manual tranny fluid. Glad I have the A10.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Mercon LV is for the automatic trans cars. You must have just read the wrong section.

I believe in the past LV was used for everything, but now it's a DCTF fluid for the manuals.
Mercon LV is also the spec for the 3160 tremec. This is why I went with the redline fluid because it has a slightly higher viscosity. Mercon LV is like water

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
LOL…it’s all good, man. It happens. Now, back on track for the 350 guys…fluid… ;)
Since about six months after I took delivery of my 2016 GT350 Track Pack, I've been running MC XT-11-QDC treated with XL-18 friction modifier. Factory fill shifting was very notchy and had a recurring grind when cold. With the QDC, it's very smooth and no chatter whatsoever, even when it's freezing. Gearbox also runs remarkably cool on track too - on days when the EOT is 250 and the diff is at 220, the gearbox is around 180 or so.

I arrived at this trans lube after testing a bunch of ATF's (all the big names, Mobil, MC, Redline, Motul, Pentosin, etc) and a couple of DCT fluids. I probably spent $500 on fluids during the search for something that actually worked. And in the end, it was Motorcraft DCT fluid that came out on top.

Last edited:
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@JAJ Not the first time ive heard of great results from a DCT, and your symptoms are spot on exactly what I have. I don’t remember these symptoms from new, but they’re there with Amsoil LV.

Interesting, they have the XT-11-QDC, and the 500 has its own separate DTC fluid.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@JAJ Not the first time ive heard of great results from a DCT, and your symptoms are spot on exactly what I have. I don’t remember these symptoms from new, but they’re there with Amsoil LV.

Interesting, they have the XT-11-QDC, and the 500 has its own separate DTC fluid.
I first encountered XT-11-QDC back in 2011 when my 2011 GT arrived with it's MT-82 filled with Motorcraft GL4 MTF. It was built before QDC was available at the factory. When QDC came out, I wanted to know why it was so special and SO THIN. Eventually I learned that it was developed by Castrol for Ford Europe somewhere before 2010 (the WSS spec is dated 2008) to be the fill for the dry-clutch DCT in the Focus and a few other Euro Fords. I figured a modern formulation by a very capable supplier was worth a try, and I ran it in the MT82 and now in the TR3160.

I'm guessing, but I expect the Tremec DCT in the GT500 is a wet-clutch design, requiring a different fluid completely than the dry-clutch gearboxes that QDC was formulated for.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What’s the XL-18 you referenced? You’re adding that in the mix you use now?

I recall reading a little about it to address some tranny issues as I have a ‘12 GT. Ended up going with the Calimer Cocktail in that, so never ended up using it or investigating it. Never thought about DCT for that thing as well.

I can’t find where MC publishes a spec sheet either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I recall reading a little about it to address some tranny issues as I have a ‘12 GT. Ended up going with the Calimer Cocktail in that, so never ended up using it or investigating it. Never thought about DCT for that thing as well.
If I remember correctly that's an additive they put in the MT-82 from new to help break in the brass synchros in a way that's less jarring for the end user. But beyond a fresh rebuild, I wouldn't use it. Not that it will hurt anything either.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
For the love of all things sacred…. Please use the full word “TRANSMISSION”!
Trans & Tranny are simply not appropriate here. 😂

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

I can’t find where MC publishes a spec sheet either.
XL-18 is a friction modifier intended for use with QDC in the MT82 to overcome a problem with the synchro's. It was listed as "initial fill only" but on the GT, that meant the first 150,000 miles, suggesting there's no reason to stop using it if you change the gearbox oil more often. I use it in the 3160 because it improves shift feel and reduces the risk of clash, just like it did in my MT82 when I switched it over in 2012.

If you want the WSS M2C200 D2 spec sheet, it's available for purchase from

https://infostore.saiglobal.com/en-us/

When I bought my copy back in 2012, it was $11.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ended up finding the spec sheet for XT-11 but it only gives cSt at 40°. Guess you can compare that number as well to other fluids, I just liked using 100°.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ended up finding the spec sheet for XT-11 but it only gives cSt at 40°. Guess you can compare that number as well to other fluids, I just liked using 100°.
Here's the datasheet for the Castrol fluid that meets the WSS M2C200 D2 spec:

1699561362060.png

The datasheet's introductory paragraph includes this phrase:

"It is approved for use where Ford WSSM2C200-D2 is specified"

The table above has more detail in it than the Ford WSS spec but where the Ford spec has numbers, they're the same as the ones in this chart.
Sponsored