Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
To each their own. Rowing the gears is more fun than a couple tenths in the 1/4 mi, but then again I don't drag race.
paddleing this car in sport mode can rev match and is just as quick and entertaining as any manual i have owned and 90% of the 50 cars i owned were manuals up untill 2015 .now the 8-10 speeds are so good from drag race to road race i wont look back and there is less maintenance /clutch pressure plate throw out bearings ect to worry about and the glass MT82 also .. i been 9s with a stick .its just possible im getting older and it not as much fun any more ..good luck on your choice !!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
5.0 is like the equivelent performance of a 2020 Hi-po 10 spd ecoboost !!! Lmao
Doubt that very much. Had a go with a A10 ecoboost. Gapped him so hard he took a bus home.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It's a very connected feeling with a manual. Autos cannot duplicate that visceral experience.
I get that. For sure. On the other hand, people get older, traffic gets greater etc.
And at times, a manual can really be a pain in the butt.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I used to swear by manual transmissions... I have had a car with manual transmission for 61 years. But modern automatics have gotten so good, every time I drive my BMW (manual) I can't help thinking I'm doing something the car can do better without my help. It certainly reduces the "fun". There are some collector cars I would only want with a manual transmission. But, modern automatics are so entertaining.

I think everyone needs to have owned at least one car with a manual transmission. I taught my sisters, brother, all of my kids and two grandsons to drive manual transmissions. Only one son and the two grandsons still drive manual.

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Jesus, all that just for a manual trans and 30k less kms. Retarded idea man, its literally the same car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Trust me its not JUST a few tenths driving a 18+ manual 5.0 is like the equivelent performance of a 2020 Hi-po 10 spd ecoboost !!! Lmao
Stock vs stock, on street tires, half a second sounds about right for most cars where the only significant difference was the transmission choice.

For me, the improvement in straight line performance isn't worth what I'd be giving up to get it.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It's a very connected feeling with a manual. Autos cannot duplicate that visceral experience. And at times, a manual can really be a pain in the butt. I get that. For sure. On the other hand, people get older, traffic gets greater etc.
And at times, a manual can really be a pain in the butt.
Physical limitations aside, driving stick is in large part what you make it out to be.

One of the rewards for getting old enough is that you mostly get to schedule your driving during less busy times.

Norm

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Stroke stroke stroke... Only manual I’m considering is a 18-19 ZL1 camaro. ;).

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The question isn't whether to pick a manual or an automatic when you're in the market for a new car. That's a different subject, and it's been discussed in another thread.
The question is whether it's worth going through all the trouble and expense of getting a new car when you already have a virtually identical one that's perfectly good.
As much as I love manuals, personally I think this wouldn't make sense. Indeed, the manual is more fun. But is it so much more, so incredibly more, as to justify such an expense? I don't think so. I think it's just slightly more fun, and surely the A10 compensates for this in other areas, so overall it would be like trading your red car because you've decided you wanted it blue. I wouldn't do it.
Unless money is no object, in which case sure, why not, go for it! :D

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The question isn't whether to pick a manual or an automatic when you're in the market for a new car. That's a different subject, and it's been discussed in another thread.
The question is whether it's worth going through all the trouble and expense of getting a new car when you already have a virtually identical one that's perfectly good.
Agreed.

What makes it more difficult is not knowing where OP is as a car enthusiast. I'm guessing that he's either younger, or at least relatively new to the 'enthusiast' side of car ownership. New enough to have not taken the transmission choice thing more seriously a couple of years ago. This isn't a slam on being younger or less experienced as an enthusiast; it's just one of those things that is what it is. We were all there once, didn't know ourselves as well back then as we do now.

But that necessarily influences anybody's perception of how much of a financial hit they're willing to take to get something that they're reasonably certain that they're going to prefer . . . and by how much. How far out into the future we'll even have a MT to choose is yet another concern.

Indeed, the manual is more fun. But is it so much more, so incredibly more, as to justify such an expense? I don't think so. I think it's just slightly more fun, and surely the A10 compensates for this in other areas, so overall it would be like trading your red car because you've decided you wanted it blue.
On the other hand, "right now" and into the near future could be somebody's last opportunity to buy most any MT-equipped car (might need something more family-friendly only a little further out). It's kind of hard to use normal financial techniques alone if it looks like it's now or never.

Kind of a side thought here . . . MT enthusiasts have traditionally had the matter of lower price going in as an advantage, with only a scattered few cases where the AT was a no-extra-cost option over the MT.

How many people are serious enough about having a MT to accept that becoming the extra-cost option over the AT? How much more would you be willing to spend for it? I think that's closer to what OP may be going through.

Norm

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I really enjoy my 2020 MT-82. Feels pretty good, don't experience any lockout, only a little notchiness sometimes. Shifts when I want how I expect.

I did replace my clutch spring which I feel helped me out a lot with engagement feel.
Sponsored