Sponsored

Traction Control Randomly Engaging.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
A few weeks ago I was driving on the Interstate and noticed while driving in a straight line with constant speed my traction control light would randomly come on. As I didn't feel anything from it and it stopped I chopped it up to a hiccup in the system. Then yesterday I was on the highway again straight line no acceleration I noticed it came on about 3 or 4 times then on the 5th I felt power cut and possibly felt like it redistributed briefly then the light went off and it didn't do it again.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Ive had this, It may be from mismatched front and rear tire diameters? Mine comes on then goes away just like you described but not often at all. I had 26" fronts with 29" rears when it happened so thats what I thought the problem was.

OP
OP

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive had this, It may be from mismatched front and rear tire diameters? Mine comes on then goes away just like you described but not often at all. I had 26" fronts with 29" rears when it happened so thats what I thought the problem was.
Still have factory tires on.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I believe the system is reading wheel speeds at one of the four corners that is either faster or slower than the other wheel speeds it is reading and in turn illuminates the TC light to warn you of a possible issue. It could be low tire pressure at one wheel, or one tire worn more than the others so that it is not rotating at the same speed/distance per revolution. It can also be a faulty sensor sending a signal that is out of range with the other wheel speed sensors.

The fact that it comes on and off to me indicates that it is more likely a sensor issues than low pressure or tire wear since both of those issues will not change erratically but be more of a constant. Also, the fact that it lost power the 5th time indicates the system was trying to intervene and bring the wheel speeds back to the same speeds as it thought there was wheel spin occurring from loss of traction.

There should be a code set indicating which wheel it saw the fault occurring at when TC light came on.

BD

Sponsored

OP
OP

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll look into this. Thanks

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Is the thrust washer causing the rear wheel hub/bearing to wobble or rotate slightly untrue of centerline, if so that would cause an erratic signal from that wheel speed sensor resulting in the TC/ABS lights and issue to occur.

I would think if the above is the case then you could confirm it by raising the wheels off the ground and grabbing the tire at the top and bottom to see if any movement is possible by applying a rocking force by hand. If any movement is seen or felt then it would be an issue.

BD
Sponsored