OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
SWEET!!! I know who was on that ride along! Carol said she learned a lot and was very appreciative! Thanks, Scott! :)
Can't wait until next time!
She was a great passenger! Very cool that you are able to attend together!

Trackholic, these posts are awesome. Just did my first pds with the Porsche owners club two weeks ago at willow springs. What a blast. Are there any hpde or instructor/classes you can recommend?
Always tough to recommend specific things since we all learn in different ways, and because there is an element of danger involved and we all have different levels of risk acceptance. With that in mind, here are things that I have found to work for me, in the form of a bulleted list:
  • Always approach any experience with the mind of a beginner. Be open to new ideas, listen as much as possible, ask questions rather than making proclamations, assume you are the least informed person in the room (but also be a critical thinker, weigh what you hear against all your experiences so you can know what to trust and what not to trust). Of course this applies to life in general.
  • I always found AutoX to be an excellent way to learn. It is typically very safe due to lower speeds and relatively open venues. The people tend to be very passionate, and because there tends to be a lot of waiting around or time spent working the course you have plenty of opportunity to chat with fellow drivers. You can ride along with almost anyone without significant risk. You can overdrive your car without significant risk, learn to feel when it is understeering, oversteering, and how throttle application can affect balance, again without signfiicant risk. You are hard on your tires but the mileage is low and you don't really work your brakes. It also teaches you to quickly learn a course, and forces you to look ahead or risk getting lost amid a sea of cones. I very highly recommend it. The only downside is that you'll spend a day or a half-day at an event for 10 minutes of track time (if you are lucky). AutoX is also pretty cheap on a per-event basis.
  • Track days are great. If you are a beginner, many groups will offer free instruction or at least charge only a modest amount extra. The instructors may not always be the fastest guys there, but they are most likely pretty seasoned and can give good advice on the proper line, etiquette, and best-practices. Track days are way more risky than AutoX, but it mostly comes down to how hard you are pushing yourself. You can keep things pretty safe by understanding the track and knowing where it might be riskier to lose control and where there is more runoff area or speeds are slower. The GT350 has a pretty good stability control system, so I keep mine in track mode and rarely have it activate or get in the way of my driving. But I also don't push too hard.
  • Driving schools are fantastic, but expensive. You get great instruction from people who really know what they are doing behind the wheel and who know how to explain it. You get the opportunity to do skidpad drills where you intentionally upset the car, where you learn braking, heel/toe, etc. I've been to the Ron Fellows School (corvettes) and the Ford Performance School (Mustangs/GT350's). Both were very good. I did a 3-day class at the Ron Fellows School (went with my dad and a friend from work) and we all had a great time. It was similar to the 2-day GT350 experience deal, but with a third day of pure track time. Once nice thing about that school (Ron Fellows) was the use of radios that allowed instructors to communicate with individual students in real-time as you were doing lead/follows around the track. One thing that I really liked about the Ford school was the use of the Fusion on casters, where the grip could be modified to induce understeer or oversteer. I think the extra day at the Ron Fellows School makes it great for those making trek to get there, but both schools were excellent and I highly recommend either one (or both, if you can). Dan (I believe that's his name) from the Ford Performance School has actually taught classes at both GT350 trackdays and he is amazing at explaining a lot of important points in a short time, and doing so in a logical way that makes things easy to absorb and remember. I always listen to his lectures because it helps me remember the important things and also helps me learn a good method for teaching as well.
  • Lots of books, articles, videos out there as well.

You and Honeybadger of some of the highest track mileage on your 350's. I'm starting to get up there as well and wonder what items you've replaced? I figure maybe:
- front rear hubs
- suspension bushings
- tie rods
- ball joints
- other?
???
Well, I've only done 6 track days on the GT350. Most of my miles are commuter miles. Also, I tend not to push as hard as some, and I'm on street tires which does somewhat limit overall grip and therefore the loads on the car. So, with that in mind, my car is basically stock. I have the BMR jacking rails and UPR catch cans. I've replaced the front brake rotors and pads with a second set of OEM ones, but haven't yet touched the rear. I've replaced the tires once @ 20,000 miles, and my second set seems to be wearing pretty evenly still. Everything else seems fine so far (knock on wood). Clutch does seem to get some wear on each track day though. Not sure how much life is left on it, but I've been thinking it's on its last legs for 20,000 miles now, so maybe it's still got tons of life left.

On my 350Z I probably did 40+ track days, many on R-comps, but that car was bullet proof. Lots of oil changes and rear brake pad changes, went through a couple wheel bearing sets, and did wear out the stock viscous limited slip (replaced with a Quaife similar in style to what we have in the GT350). I had stiffer sway bars on the Z, and the rear brackets would fail every once in a while, so would replace those maybe every 75,000 miles. I just sold that car to a fried with 200,002 miles on the clock. We will see how the Mustang does in comparison. I definitely keep an eye on what others are experiencing in order to get an idea of what might be in store for me down the road.

Thanks all for the kind words, and hope everyone is having a happy holiday season, Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, etc.

-T
Sponsored

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
As an instructor, the first thing I want to know is where you are in your driving and, what do you want to accomplish? Ive seen some pretty bad instructors and some very good ones. Thinking back to when I started this gig, I was a poor student and I had some good and some bad instructor as well. I went and took the Safety Councils Instructors test in an effort to be a better instructor then I was a student. Im a track rat and love competition driving but, that's not for everyone and a good instructor knows that. Ford Performance racing school is always a good choice if you can afford it

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Thanks for all the detail in your response. Happy New Year!

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a quick update to document my oil additions.

Last add was on Jan 13 @ 34,394 miles. Car is running as strong as it always has.

Starting to notice a very slight whine when slowing down to a stop in 2nd gear. I suspect differential or transmission, so will plan on getting both fluids changed during next oil change.

Also bought a 10 quart pack of the motorcraft oil off of Amazon. I think it was around $100, but should keep the car well lubed for quite some time.

I'm driving the car about 2X per week now, and taking the van the rest of the time. Have about 15,000 on the van and just crossed 35,000 on the GT350. The van has not needed any oil added in those 15,000 miles, and is still showing 25% oil life remaining. Not sure how I feel going ~20,000 miles between changes, but since it is a hybrid the engine isn't actually running for many of those miles.

Been very rainy here in CA for the start of 2019, which is another reason I'm not getting many miles on the Mustang. Van is great in the rain with its road-hugging mass and pizza cutter tires. Very unlikely to hydroplane in contrast to the Mustang. The highway I take to work passes through some hills and therefore changes camber with each turn. Water will stream across the road at each of these camber changes which leads to lots of opportunities for hydroplaning or otherwise losing control. Lots of crashes, especially when the road is wet enough to be slick but the rain is light enough that people forget how much lower the grip is. When the rain is really heavy people tend to be more careful, but those light rains really wreak havok. The Van is plush enough that it encourages a more relaxed attitude in such situations. Hope things dry out a bit soon so I can get the Mustang back out a bit more.

-T

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
California is drenched & clinched.I am at 49,500 miles in Coyote Red, I just changed rear diff oil to BG Ultraguard LS 75w 140w and the difference is noticeable. Trans service is next. Have you checked into BMR "cradle lockouts" for your GT 350? I really like my BMR setup. front & rear subframe braces tighten the chassis. Look at Optimum Performance or opmustang.com for the gear oil. They have torsen oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
California is drenched & clinched.I am at 49,500 miles in Coyote Red, I just changed rear diff oil to BG Ultraguard LS 75w 140w and the difference is noticeable. Trans service is next. Have you checked into BMR "cradle lockouts" for your GT 350? I really like my BMR setup. front & rear subframe braces tighten the chassis. Look at Optimum Performance or opmustang.com for the gear oil. They have torsen oil.
I think I have the BMR cradle lockouts, but haven't taken the time to install them. Thanks for the vote of confidence, might make me take the time to finally make that update.

Thank you also for the oil suggestions.

-T

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, been a while with no updates. Haven't been to the track since the GT350 event last October @ Thunderhill. I got a rock chip and crack in the front windshield that I have been watching slowly propagate across. Will need to get that fixed soon. Been driving the GT350 about once a week, and am just reaching 40,000 miles.

Unfortunately, two annoying things have happened in the last month. First, our rainy season has started just before Thanksgiving, and after about a week I opened the trunk and found it to be sopping wet. There is a leak somewhere in the rear window area that is working its way into the trunk. The passenger compartment and the inside of the rear window seems dry, so at least the damage is confined to the trunk area. I have been placing towels in the trunk to absorb the water and have also placed a large container of dessicant to help dry things out, but I will need to strip the lining and do some searching for the leak. Not too worrisome overall, but annoying.

An even more annoying situation occurred yesterday (Friday, the 13th of course), when I went to do my weekly drive to work. I luckily decided to check the oil before heading out, and found a rats next in the hood, WITH THE RAT STARING ME IN THE FACE! He skedaddled as soon as I opened the hood (probably ran in to the garage where he'll feast on dog and cat food for the next few years), but he left behind a huge mess. I used our leafblower to clean out the engine bay, but I think the little bugger chewed on some important cables or hoses because now the car idles funny and throws a check engine light. I will be going to the auto store today and will see if I can get an OBD reader to see what the codes are. Hopefully the issue is relatively contained and not something that requires a complete wire harness replacement or something like that.

So, got some work to do!

If anyone has suggestions for keeping critters out of the car, feel free to post 'em up.

-T
RATS_NEST_small.jpg

jedirocker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
visualuniverse.org
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
If anyone has suggestions for keeping critters out of the car, feel free to post 'em up.
-T
RATS_NEST_small.jpg
You can buy a plastic owl and post it nearby. Also use bobcat spray occasionally.

If you end up having to take the car to dealer or shop to repair the damage, you can file with your insurance if the cost exceeds your deductible.

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I got the code reader, and before even plugging it in I took another look at the engine bay and saw that the little bastard had already started building a new nest.

I inspected the cabling more closely, and saw that the #2 cylinder injector cable had been chewed.

When I plugged in the code reader, sure enough, I had several errors in cylinder #2 including misfires and injector issues. There was also a misfire on cylinder #6, but I didn't see anything wrong with the cabling there. That code didn't have as detailed info, so maybe it was more of an informational code than a true problem. I didn't note all the codes, but will go back and get that info and update the post accordingly.

In any case, the injector cable looks to be part of the main engine wiring harness, which coils like a snake through every nook and cranny of the engine bay. It does not look like an inexpensive repair, unless one were to strip back some of the sheathing and try to splice in a new cable.

I've gone ahead and stuck a rat trap under the car, with some delicious peanut butter on the trigger, so hopefully there will be no more shenanigans from that little guy in the near future. The bobcat spray sounds interesting, so I might take a look into that, as I like the idea of a relatively passive preventive solution rather than a trap that I need to set, check, not run over, etc.

-T
Chewed_Injector_03_small.jpg
Chewed_Injector_02_small.jpg
Rats_Nest_02_small.jpg

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
If it was me I would put some rat posion in a baggie under the hood. Once they eat it your problem is solved.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Splicing that wire will change it’s impedance some which may cause the injector to act weird and throw a code. The voltage might drop a bit. I say give it a try before you have the whole harness ripped out. I’d also look around the garage and find out how the rodents are getting in. I think sticky traps work the best

OP
OP
Trackaholic

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Splicing that wire will change it’s impedance some which may cause the injector to act weird and throw a code. The voltage might drop a bit. I say give it a try before you have the whole harness ripped out. I’d also look around the garage and find out how the rodents are getting in. I think sticky traps work the best
Unfotunately the wife gets the garage. The Mustang gets parking right in front of the house. I agree that attempting a splice seems worthwhile.

Does anyone know the state of the injectors when the signal is interrupted (I would assume they shut off)? Let's say I had to drive on 7 cylinders for 40 miles. Thoughts?

-T

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I think I have the BMR cradle lockouts, but haven't taken the time to install them. Thanks for the vote of confidence, might make me take the time to finally make that update.

Thank you also for the oil suggestions.

-T
Sure, the lock-outs will flaten out the curves, or allow the car to stay "flat" thru the twisty's.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
With no power to the injectors they won’t squirt fuel into the cylinders. But it will run rough and cause odd vibrations. Will that cause damage? Don’t know. Rodents eating insulation is actually a big problem in lots of places. You think by now the people that make it would formulate something less tasty to them.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro