Track Tires?

jcampbelldds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt350
I have run with the stock PS4’s at COTA for two events now, and they do great. Easily beat my best time in my GT350 that has Cup2’s. You can stick with the stock tires and have a great day: Vettes and GTR’s were no problem at all. Can run with the Porsche GT3’s all day.

Best match at last event was a full race-prepped BMW M3 (roll cage, big wing, slicks, etc.). Guy flew in from CA to drive it and we had a good time during our sessions.
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum here. I completed the GT350 track attack back in September and now registered for the COTA event with Edge Addicts on December 12th. My car has 1500 miles on it and plan on running the stock Sport Cup 2’s.

Am I going to have any tire left at the end of a track day? Not complaining, but trying to decide if it would be best to trailer the car to the track Or not. I am only about 45 minutes from the track.

Thanks for any helpful info.

Jarrod
Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum here. I completed the GT350 track attack back in September and now registered for the COTA event with Edge Addicts on December 12th. My car has 1500 miles on it and plan on running the stock Sport Cup 2’s.

Am I going to have any tire left at the end of a track day? Not complaining, but trying to decide if it would be best to trailer the car to the track Or not. I am only about 45 minutes from the track.

Thanks for any helpful info.

Jarrod
I have two days on my Cup2 tires at COTA and the tires are still fine (GT350). Unless you drive at 10/10ths all day, you should be good to drive home.

jcampbelldds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt350
I have two days on my Cup2 tires at COTA and the tires are still fine (GT350). Unless you drive at 10/10ths all day, you should be good to drive home.
That is great info. Thanks, plus I am not really doing a full weekend. Still pretty new to road racing so I am doing the intro course out there for some instruction, so my tires should be just fine given that information.

Don‘t want to hijack this thread, but if you wouldn’t mind letting me know where you get your track insurance, that would be awesome. I think Hagerty would add it for a day, but would love to get some options. I did a search and the main topics that came up were your posts in this thread and the thread about Speed Phenom selling his car!!!

Jarrod

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is great info. Thanks, plus I am not really doing a full weekend. Still pretty new to road racing so I am doing the intro course out there for some instruction, so my tires should be just fine given that information.

Don‘t want to hijack this thread, but if you wouldn’t mind letting me know where you get your track insurance, that would be awesome. I think Hagerty would add it for a day, but would love to get some options. I did a search and the main topics that came up were your posts in this thread and the thread about Speed Phenom selling his car!!!

Jarrod
I use Lockton Affinity for track insurance as they are cheaper. I have not found a company that will sell just one day if it’s a two day event.
Due to the cost at COTA, I too have generally just participated on one day per weekend.
Haven’t signed up for that weekend yet. Might even be snowing then! But you will have a blast. That track/facility will spoil you.

PS: Never use the word “racing”. It’s HPDE, or your warranty goes away.:crying:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
PS: Never use the word “racing”. It’s HPDE, or your warranty goes away
given Ford's attitude (as opposed to GM's) any track use seems to be an excuse to deny powertrain claims even if the event was "safer driver training seminar sponsored by GEICO and USAA". Ford is powerfully lame.

Key to tires lasting is proper camber and toe.

Sponsored

Weee500

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

Jarrod
I use RLI. They a tad bit more expensive but coming from other people that have wrecked their cars, they are the easiest to deal with.

jcampbelldds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt350
I use RLI. They a tad bit more expensive but coming from other people that have wrecked their cars, they are the easiest to deal with.
Looks like they are affiliated with Hagerty as when I logged in to my account and clicked to get a quote, it says it is provided by RLI.

I use Lockton Affinity for track insurance as they are cheaper. I have not found a company that will sell just one day if it’s a two day event.
Due to the cost at COTA, I too have generally just participated on one day per weekend.
Haven’t signed up for that weekend yet. Might even be snowing then! But you will have a blast. That track/facility will spoil you.

PS: Never use the word “racing”. It’s HPDE, or your warranty goes away.:crying:
:wink: I hear ya on the terminology! Also, I think it would be very strange if we were to see snow here though!!! Cold... possibly, snowing... probably not!!! Have seen stranger things though.

given Ford's attitude (as opposed to GM's) any track use seems to be an excuse to deny powertrain claims even if the event was "safer driver training seminar sponsored by GEICO and USAA". Ford is powerfully lame.

I haven't really looked that much into warranty issues. But, that is certainly lame and seems kinda strange. The fact that these production cars come with a supplement with instructions on how to prep the car for track use, but yet don't want to back up what they built. Plus Ford actually provides and event at Ford Performance "Racing" School in order to teach owners what their cars can do!

Jarrod

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

In every case that I am personally aware of, across several manufacturers, when someone said my car broke while “racing”, their warranty was denied. When just driving, it was covered under warranty.
As to GT500? Haven’t heard of a like situation (yet).

And, yes, camber is key to GT350 tire wear.

OP
OP
PUR_SPD

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
I’ll defend Ford here. Had the engine blow on my 2000 mile Boss 302. Happened on the track and they knew it. Ford Performance replaced the engine, transmission cover, everything, under warranty. Total replacement time was 3 weeks. Couldn’t have been happier.

jcampbelldds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt350
Good to know. So I will find a good shop to align the car at least to the camber and toe settings recommended by ford for track use. Maybe a good starting point.

Sponsored

jcampbelldds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt350
I’ll defend Ford here. Had the engine blow on my 2000 mile Boss 302. Happened on the track and they knew it. Ford Performance replaced the engine, transmission cover, everything, under warranty. Total replacement time was 3 weeks. Couldn’t have been happier.
That's good to know Darren.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I figured good information for all.

Weee500

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Yes. Hagerty uses RLI as Hagerty technically doesn’t offer the insurance themselves
Sponsored