mpower_ss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Hello all,

I have a 2016 GT with quite a few mods. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my suspension to handle more like a GT350. After breaking down the options, it was becoming increasing clear. Many of the upgrades I want to do are already on a 350. Common sense wise (don’t add up the numbers on a calculator), my brain is telling me why spend all this money on changing brakes, suspension, chassis, wheel size, etc.
After doing more research, there are Lots of differences between the coyote and the voodoo. I’m sure many of you folks have already reached this crossroad. What where some of your determining factors that helped you make your decision? In either direction. Posting this on the S550 board as well.

Thank you,
Michael S...
Sponsored

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
If the money isn’t an issue, this is not a tough decision. Coyote isn’t in the same camp. Drive a GT350 and you’ll know why. I can honestly say, the only coyote I’d ever consider owning again is a Mach 1. And it definitely wouldn’t replace my 350.

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
I had a 2015 GT Premium that I started to do some mods. Then I found out about the GT350. All the work that Ford Performance put into improving almost every aspect of the S550.

Link to Promotional Video:

The wider front end, The aluminum front fenders and hood, The lighter and stronger aluminum front knuckle and control arms, and OMG, Those huge Brembo brakes, with the aluminum-hat floating rotors.
For me one of the most important points to swing my decision was the transmission. The Tremec 3160 in my opinion was a dramatic improvement. Even the thought behind the changes in the rear suspension. The opposite wound rear springs, improved rear hubs and bearings. The GT350 also has firmer tuned rubber bushings in the rear suspension.
Other things that made me switch were obviously the FPC Voodoo, but also the dual mass flywheel and clutch, and the active exhaust.
In my case I had a new GT with 1250 miles on it, Traded it in for a GT350, Lost over 7,000 on the deal, And looking back, It was one of the best decisions I have made !

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It comes down to money, really. If it's in your budget, get the 350. Good things I can say about the GT is that it's a performance bargain with huge aftermarket following. If you enjoy turning wrenches and realize that there is ALWAYS something better or faster out there, you would probably be happy with the GT. The 350 can be a little opposite...many people still make mods and changes because "mustang" but with the 350, you don't really have to...in fact it's easy to change things for the worse..so you might get bored if your car is all of a sudden "complete" the second you pull into your driveway ;)

If you've already spend any amount of money on your car, you might be upside down when it's time to sell or trade, so keep that in mind when factoring in what the move to a 350 will REALLY cost you.

If you need to put your eyes on a 350, I'm over in St. Pete. This is my second R - I could give you a ride but driving it might not happen at this moment since there are only 250 miles on it ;)

Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
If the money isn’t an issue, this is not a tough decision. Coyote isn’t in the same camp. Drive a GT350 and you’ll know why. I can honestly say, the only coyote I’d ever consider owning again is a Mach 1. And it definitely wouldn’t replace my 350.
Perfect reply. I'm shaking my head at the few people on this forum who are going to trade in a gt350 for a mach 1.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I agree with @stanglife , but reading your OP if you just enjoy the build then knock yourself out. The 350 definitely is not as much of a “tinkering” car as the GT, and you could get bored not being able to “upgrade” as things are really good already.

the brakes are good enough i prefer them over my ZLE.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
You're in a different spot since you already have your S550.

In my case (Nov 2018) I was looking at ordering a loaded PP2, which my local dealers were quoting sticker. 1 local dealer had a special-order 350 on the lot (original customer never picked up for some reason) in which they were willing to make a deal at 1000 under invoice.

I sharpened my pencil, and just adding requisite coolers to a PP2, the 350 came out cheaper.

Of course this is comparing new to new, and I didn't have a trade. But for my intended use, going 350 ended up being cheaper. At least initial purchase anyways. Consumables cost over time till likely tip it the other way.

From a financial standpoint you're almost always better off modifying what you already own. Let's be honest even a "lowly" GT is still a great platform with its own set of advantages. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Keep in mind that the 350 isn't perfect either and you may just as easily find yourself modifying it to the same (or higher) levels. The OE non-R wheels are very heavy and there are very few off-the-shelf options with the weird width/offset combination. (read: $$$)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Hello all,

I have a 2016 GT with quite a few mods. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my suspension to handle more like a GT350. After breaking down the options, it was becoming increasing clear. Many of the upgrades I want to do are already on a 350. Common sense wise (don’t add up the numbers on a calculator), my brain is telling me why spend all this money on changing brakes, suspension, chassis, wheel size, etc.
After doing more research, there are Lots of differences between the coyote and the voodoo. I’m sure many of you folks have already reached this crossroad. What where some of your determining factors that helped you make your decision? In either direction. Posting this on the S550 board as well.

Thank you,
Michael S...
I would either get the gt350..or wait for the mach 1 if i was in your position.

ameapm2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Genesis 2018 GT350
Hello all,

Thank you,
Michael S...
for me it was hellcat's 707 hp with supercharger whine or voodoo's bllllllaaaaahhhh @ 8250. GT350 was a clear winner.
You should drive the GT350 and you would be sold on it instantly.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
You're in a different spot since you already have your S550.

In my case (Nov 2018) I was looking at ordering a loaded PP2, which my local dealers were quoting sticker. 1 local dealer had a special-order 350 on the lot (original customer never picked up for some reason) in which they were willing to make a deal at 1000 under invoice.

I sharpened my pencil, and just adding requisite coolers to a PP2, the 350 came out cheaper.

Of course this is comparing new to new, and I didn't have a trade. But for my intended use, going 350 ended up being cheaper. At least initial purchase anyways. Consumables cost over time till likely tip it the other way.

From a financial standpoint you're almost always better off modifying what you already own. Let's be honest even a "lowly" GT is still a great platform with its own set of advantages. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Keep in mind that the 350 isn't perfect either and you may just as easily find yourself modifying it to the same (or higher) levels. The OE non-R wheels are very heavy and there are very few off-the-shelf options with the weird width/offset combination. (read: $$$)
To add to this, GT350 values are high right now. I paid $50k before shipping/taxes, and the car is easily worth over $40k-45k still 4 years later. Let's see a Mustang GT do that

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Based on how this question was framed, I already can tell you aren't even pushing the GT to it's max capabilities.

Be honest with yourself and consider what your capabilities are, your actual functional requirements, and what the use of the car is. If it's mainly a street machine, keep it streetable, comfortable and just enough so you don't turn your car into a clunking stiff and unbearable abomination.
Sponsored