Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I've had my 2016 GTPP for about 1 1/2 years, and I'm pretty sure it's always done this but I'm about to go out of powertrain warranty and I want to make sure. It's always done this clicking sound whenever I accelerate and sort of modulate the clutch at low speed. I've had 75w90 BG fluid in there without the additive I believe. (Everyone said no additive in this diff) I posted the video on my YouTube temporarily so you guys can help me diagnose it. Could it also be lack of axle nut torque? Or the half shafts? I have a few people recommending to replace the half shafts, and the others to check axle nut. I haven't inspected it yet.

Sponsored

Last edited:

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a similar noise but I notice it more when the rear suspension articulates. I checked and replaced axle nut on driver side. My car is low mileage and if I drive in the rain some the noise will go away so I suspect its some of the rubber on the IRS. I got a similar noise from my 08 GT from a lower control arm. Replaced it with a set of tubular and synthetic grease and it was good for 70K+. There is a BMR post about the axle nut that is huge. Some guys found removing an assembly piece behind the hub helped. Others replaced nut according to the BMR guidance. Others replaced bearing and hub assembly and half-shaft(s). I'm probably going to do some suspension modifications in the next several months and will grease everything up.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Just throwing this out there as another possibility; often “clicking“ is related to a failing CV joint. That’s not what jumps to mind in that clip but I’m not overly familiar with this rear axle/suspension assembly So I can’t rule it out.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If the axle nut was loose, chances are the damage is already done to the hub. Last time I had clicking, tightening the axle nut didn't do it, I had to replace the hub (which did fix the noise)

The rear hubs in the 16s don't last super long. The newer replacement parts should hold up better. If the hub gets too bad, you'll get some noticeable play. If you can jack the rear up, wrap both arms around the wheel and tilt it around at all, that's certainly the hub, but in my experience (I've had to replace 3 hubs), sometimes you'll get this clicking before the play becomes noticeable. Once it starts shifting around tho handling and even straight line acceleration gets sketchy and dangerous.