Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I brought in my mustang into ford to get the valve cover gaskets replaced. One side started leaking oil. I’m fixing it under warranty. The car is tuned though and It has headers and CAI.

My performance tune also includes a tune for the JLT CAI. What are the dangers of them flashing it back to stock and test driving it after? Will the MAF sensor blow and that’s it, or would it cause more damage?

Also could warranty deny repairs for the gaskets because the engine has headers and intake? My guess would be no because the valve covers never got messed with or modified.
I used to put masking tape over the OBDII connector with NO! In big letters

NZGUL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I brought in my mustang into ford to get the valve cover gaskets replaced. One side started leaking oil. I’m fixing it under warranty. The car is tuned though and It has headers and CAI.

My performance tune also includes a tune for the JLT CAI. What are the dangers of them flashing it back to stock and test driving it after? Will the MAF sensor blow and that’s it, or would it cause more damage?

Also could warranty deny repairs for the gaskets because the engine has headers and intake? My guess would be no because the valve covers never got messed with or modified.
Beyond the first few pages did anyone help you with your concerns??? Man these always just spiral out and take a turn for the worst.
I've had my headers and tune six months into my purchase back in 2018, nobody's ever said anything about my tune and cat-less headers as until late I've always done a factory oil change 3 times a year. I just don't think the technicians have enough time in their day to police these sorts of, some what common issues. My other suggestion would be to get your tunes on an Nguage or something like that. I've gone into my tunes and changed modes in a parking lot before, and it stays with the car.

Side note I have to do emissions for the first time, this year so I'll keep everyone abreast of that.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It looks like the horse is whipped pretty good.

I went to my dealer and asked to have the latest engine management software installed. They said no need since any updates are done over the air. I said I have a 17, they said OK it will be 100 bucks.

Those modems send drivability data to the engineers who then make modifications and add those to the strategy or OS. Like any other device at some point they stop supporting the platform.

Outside tuners only have access to about 10% of the tables.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Those modems send drivability data to the engineers who then make modifications and add those to the strategy or OS. Like any other device at some point they stop supporting the platform.
Well my ET doesn't phone home. can't see them update phuk all with a manual trans. Maybe with an auto that has 'driver learning'. And only if it has the Tech package.

Sponsored

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
re legal fees .. at least in Canada you can ask for fees ... however there is a 'factor' applied, and you generally get 15% of legal costs reimbursed.

Not to mention court is the final option. You have to go through discovery, then negotiation, then mediation. Takes about 2-3 years till you get final day in court.

Ive initiated 4 suits, only one went to court. All were dealt with at negotiation. Won 'em all, but all were 5 figures, vs 'judge judy' claims. Takes time .... not gonna happen quick.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
GrayS550

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

I have an aftermarket tune and I recently had my 2017 into a dealer to get a Steering Fault code erased. This caused by flashing HPTuners software tunes. Only on 2017s mind you. This doesn't happen all the time and has to be done with a scanner like Autel, Innova, etc. My RTD won't do it. Anyhow I was worried and told the Service writer to make an entry on the work order to only erase the codes nothing else.This didn't appease my worries so I also got him to go and tell the tech specifically not to do anything but what is on the work order.
Have to admit I was somewhat on edge while waiting. Charged me half hour labor and all is good. From my experience they wouldn't do any updates without informing/asking the customer first. For this repair I'd just be upfront about your tune and if they won't warranty it, chalk it up to the world of car modding and move on.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
I talked to the service guy again, he said he there are ZERO software updates other than for SYNC.
I noticed your in Italy, so again, must be a Euro thing.
A Google search will not find what you are looking for.
Look here, this is a screenshoot from Ford ETIS for an US S550 VIN. The car was built on 04/09/2014 and as you can see has plenty of software updates to be performed.
1678778368870.png

It's not an EU thing, the car here is the same as there and runs the same software but with different configurations....
You are very free to don't believe me still, but that's the fact.

Sponsored

bigred90gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not on a mustang, but I did have my Ram flashed against my request. There was an "update" that added "auto-park feature" that I specifically told them I did not want. Basically, if it is in gear, door open and foot off the brake, it slams the truck in park once you get moving. A pain in the butt when backing up to a trailer or moving the truck a few feet in the driveway. Work order said not to update it, completed work order said it wasn't updated. First time I went to move the truck in the driveway and it slammed itself into park, it took me a few minutes to realize what happened. And they can't undo it, so I was forced to live with it. It was not documented that it was done, so I kept getting reminders that I needed the "update".

So yes, it can and does happen.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have an aftermarket tune and I recently had my 2017 into a dealer to get a Steering Fault code erased. This caused by flashing HPTuners software tunes.
Get ForScan and you can reset the steering fault yourself.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Not on a mustang, but I did have my Ram flashed against my request. There was an "update" that added "auto-park feature" that I specifically told them I did not want. Basically, if it is in gear, door open and foot off the brake, it slams the truck in park once you get moving. A pain in the butt when backing up to a trailer or moving the truck a few feet in the driveway. Work order said not to update it, completed work order said it wasn't updated. First time I went to move the truck in the driveway and it slammed itself into park, it took me a few minutes to realize what happened. And they can't undo it, so I was forced to live with it. It was not documented that it was done, so I kept getting reminders that I needed the "update".

So yes, it can and does happen.
I believe any safety updates MUST be done if dealer has the car. They don t have a choice on those.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Not on a mustang, but I did have my Ram flashed against my request.
I agree with @cerbomark . Safety updates are non-negotiable.

It's been my experience (with Toyota) that, if a safety update is involved, the dealer will not release the vehicle until the safety update/recall work is complete.

It's my DD so it didn't impact anything, but I've been re-flashed for safety updates and recalls.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A Google search will not find what you are looking for.
Look here, this is a screenshoot from Ford ETIS for an US S550 VIN. The car was built on 04/09/2014 and as you can see has plenty of software updates to be performed.
1678778368870.png

It's not an EU thing, the car here is the same as there and runs the same software but with different configurations....
You are very free to don't believe me still, but that's the fact.
IMO, a Vehicle Manufacturer should be just as responsible as a Computer/Mobile device manufacturer when it comes to ANY necessary software updates for ANY vehicle built within the last 8-10 years.

What I mean by this is, if there are available software updates, these vehicles SHOULD BE updated without any out of pocket cost to the consumer/owner. Apple, Microsoft and many of their app vendors don't charge for any operating system or app updates when there are needed updates for bugs, repairs, performance enhancements, security, etc.

I don't feel the burden should fall on the vehicle consumer/owner to "find out" about such updates. They should not be kept in the dark until their vehicle is acting up due to XYZ software issue that was not and has not been communicated out via some type of communication effort like Apple and Microsoft does for PC/Mobile Device owners.

If I'm paying $400-$2k+ for a mobile device or PC that can receive such updates during the course of ownership leading up to and until that device platform has been retired by the Manufacturer - then I as a vehicle owner who plunked down $30k-$100k+ should also have those same exact software update benefits afforded to me during the ownership of that vehicle.

I think it's BS that we as owners of such vehicles are not getting any further updates past the point of purchase (OR when the vehicle has to come in for another warranty issue that also requires a software update).

I thought that SYNC was to get such updates - NOT just "stereo or NAV" related updates. I've heard that the newer S550's had the modems, but also in some threads on here members have mentioned even those vehicles cannot accept or get such software updates demo'd in the image posted by @luca1290. If someone can refute that or knows more about what updates exist "over the air" for a S550, please do inform....

We as owners of technologically advanced vehicles that rely on canbus, multiple communication modules and PCMs for operational and functionality purposes SHOULD get software updates when those become readily available from the vehicle Manufacturer just as any modern PC/mobile device receives an update for XYZ.
Sponsored

Last edited: