Too good of a deal - something fishy???

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
I'm a happy owner of a Mach 1. When I get bored (the weather sux right now) I search the internet for good deals on Mustangs thinking that one day I will find one that will tempt me to trade in my M1 (it's actually how I found my M1). It would have to be like the perfect GT350.... So far, I haven't found anything that moves me.

But.... I stumbled upon a used 24 Dark Horse at a Ford dealer with the handling package, less than 100 miles on it, clean Carfax, for $7000 under the original MSRP with a couple price drops in the past few weeks. This price seems very low for this new of a loaded used Dark Horse.

I did note, however, that the Carfax report did not specifically report what the previous owner used the car for (i.e. personal/corporate/lease etc.). Instead, it said "N/A unknown." Also, there were a lot of photos of the car but none of the engine which I thought was weird.

So, I am reaching out to you all as fellow Mustang enthusiasts to ask for your thoughts about this vehicle. Is it priced too low, and they are trying to unload it due to an issue with the car? If the previous owner info is unknown was the car briefly used as a demo by the dealer for less that 100 miles and potentially driven hard? Since just about every used V8 Mustang posted on a site has a pic of the engine could there be an issue under the hood? Overall, it seems weird that a 24 Dark Horse HP, less than 100 miles on it, is for sale in February of 24 for $7k under the original MSRP. Oh yeah, and they are Ford Certifying it.

Appreciate any thoughts you all care to share and thank you.
Sponsored

2fast2focus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andres
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I do the same - I own a Mach1 and I’m ashamed to admit how often I look at GT350s :cwl:

The car may not be underpriced but it gives off demo vibes based on what you described, but I’m by no means an expert and can be totally wrong.

Can you share the link? I’m not surprised they didn’t post engine bay pics - a lot of places don’t.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Does the Carfax show that it has had a title issued for the VIN, if not then is likely a dealer demo.

BD

Sponsored

OP
OP
MachNroll

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Does the Carfax show that it has had a title issued for the VIN, if not then is likely a dealer demo.

BD
It showed that a title was issued. I can't imagine that something like the loan approval was cancelled but heck, maybe the buyer lost the ability to afford the car and returned it to the dealer. Or the buyer brought the car home and momma said "you did what?!?!!!" 🤣

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Dealer demo or major repair already. Demos are a great deal if you can find the right one

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can think of a few possible scenarios:

- Couldn't afford the payments and insurance

- Realized they never really wanted it

- The car they did want suddenly became available

Some buyers just don't think things out. They don't realize the costs involved or the financial commitment before taking the plunge. Or they just keep chasing after the next flashy thing.

- Significant assembly and QC issues

If there were major repairs, an Oasis report should clarify.

Each state is different on Lemon Laws. If it was a buyback, I'd have to read up if they can repair and resell. One buyer in another forum had several issues which concerned them. They sold the car back to the dealer and walked away.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe cause the darkhorse is an expensive dud... and they can't sell em.
Around here it's that way. in my city there's 800k peeps, 1 was sold. Rest are still sitting at the dealer.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
Maybe cause the darkhorse is an expensive dud... and they can't sell em.
Around here it's that way. in my city there's 800k peeps, 1 was sold. Rest are still sitting at the dealer.
Lots of better ways to spend $70k.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Everyone here is going to tell you NO. BUT best thing you can do is drive it and see how you like it, only matters how YOU feel about it. I personally would wait if you want one, its the first year run they will have some things to work out.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
If you are indeed interested, have a reputable mechanic and body/paint person look at it. There are tell-tale signs of repairs a good mechanic and a good body shop person can pick out. For instance I had a great body shop work on a car of mine years ago and later on a person inspected the car and found clamp marks that were left on the frame.

If the dealer has a problem with a 3rd party evaluating, that's a potential indication to stay away.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
FWIW I don’t trust Carfax…Back in 2014 my wife’s new Scion Tc was involved in two minor accidents requiring insurance claims & body work both times. After the second accident I decided to trade it in for a 2015 Ecoboost for her.The dealer put the Tc on the lot with a clean Carfax noting only a recent oil change.
Sponsored