Sponsored

Tiny door dings

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have three tiny door dings on the driver's side rear fender between the door and wheel. They don't show up very good in the pic but the location is indicated by the red circle. The paint is OK but the metal is slightly dented. I have two questions:

1. If I remove the fender liner, is that area behind the dents accessible?

2. If it is accessible, is there a relatively simple for me to remove the dents?

I've used paintless dent repair to fix a larger dent in the front fender but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that's only noticeable at a specific angle in certain light. I'd like to do it myself without the potential to making it worse if that's possible. If not, I'll just have to live with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dents.jpg
Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
my PDL guy discounts down the more dings present, 1 is not worth it but if you report more dings, then the price gets better.

Not recommended to try to fix it from inside or mess with it, unless your a PDL pro.

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
PDL? I've heard of paintless dent repair referred to as PDR but not PDL. What does the L stand for?

Anyway, I wasn't planning on banging on it with a hammer. Maybe just gentle pressure from the inside to make them less noticeable. How to do that, I'm still trying to figure out. After the first of the year, I'll be pulling the wheels to rotate them and check the brake pads so I might pull the liner just to see if it's even accessible. If not, I'll probably not worry about it.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
PDL? I've heard of paintless dent repair referred to as PDR but not PDL. What does the L stand for?

Anyway, I wasn't planning on banging on it with a hammer. Maybe just gentle pressure from the inside to make them less noticeable. How to do that, I'm still trying to figure out. After the first of the year, I'll be pulling the wheels to rotate them and check the brake pads so I might pull the liner just to see if it's even accessible. If not, I'll probably not worry about it.
Oops typo I meant PDR

Pushing dents from inside are risky

Deleted member 35644

I can't say whether you have to take off the interior panel or if you can get to it from the fender liner, but I will say, don't do it. I tried this on my 2011 Kia Optima and made it worse. It's a skill that requires training.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
OK, maybe I'll just forget it (or if I can't stand it anymore, get my PDR guy to fix it). They are really hard to see unless the light is just right. However, *I* know they there. I think you guys know what i mean. :angry:

Deleted member 35644

OK, maybe I'll just forget it (or if I can't stand it anymore, get my PDR guy to fix it). They are really hard to see unless the light is just right. However, *I* know they there. I think you guys know what i mean. :angry:
I absolutely do. I have one in the same area, but lower, that I did myself while reinstalling my driver's seat. And more recently I got one just underneath my mirror, from my other Mustang that sits opposite of it in the garage. 😖 I need to get on the hunt for a new PDR guy, as the one I really like moved completely across town from me.

You're making the right decision. I know you don't want to part with the money, but you'll be so happy you did.

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I absolutely do. I have one in the same area, but lower, that I did myself while reinstalling my driver's seat. And more recently I got one just underneath my mirror, from my other Mustang that sits opposite of it in the garage. 😖 I need to get on the hunt for a new PDR guy, as the one I really like moved completely across town from me.

You're making the right decision. I know you don't want to part with the money, but you'll be so happy you did.
I had a dent repaired in the front fender last year by my PDR guy that was caused when my wife lost her balance while carrying a heavy box. While I don't like dents in my car, I'm glad it was there because I really believe she'd have busted her head on the concrete if it hadn't broken her fall.

I get the DIY gene honestly though. Growing up, my dad fixed pretty everything himself. Sometimes that worked out great, other times it was kind of a mess. You'd think I would remember the messes whenever the bug hits me.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
My dad was the same. I remember copper pipe being used under the hood of the family’s ford maverick (car then). Doing your own pdr is like doing your own dentistry. Likely will hurt and still leave a mark. Good pdr is worth every cent. Glue pop is the latest technique for those dings that can’t be accessed from behind.

OP
OP
tomservo92

tomservo92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My dad was the same. I remember copper pipe being used under the hood of the family’s ford maverick (car then). Doing your own pdr is like doing your own dentistry. Likely will hurt and still leave a mark. Good pdr is worth every cent. Glue pop is the latest technique for those dings that can’t be accessed from behind.
I remember my dad out in the garage grinding away at the valves in the heads of the 289 from our family Custom 500. I have to admit he kept that car running for quite a few years. Of course, I also remember him tinkering with the compressor on the house A/C and having a sweaty night trying to sleep until the A/C tech could come out the next day.

I guess you're right about PDR. I was amazed watching the guy take the front fender dent out. Aluminum is a lot harder to work with than steel but it didn't slow him down a bit.

I watched a video earlier today of guying doing glue pop. He thought it looked pretty good when done but I think he went one pop too many as it left a slight ridge in the metal. If he's have stopped before the last one he'd have a barely noticable, tiny, tiny dent. That convinced me not to try it, It's that "just one more" thought process that gets you every time!

Sponsored

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I have a dent that if I look hard too on my hood raised edge probably from a rock for from the factory but I can live with it and will save it as a discount dent if I happen to get a second dent that gets my OCD.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have three tiny door dings on the driver's side rear fender between the door and wheel. They don't show up very good in the pic but the location is indicated by the red circle. The paint is OK but the metal is slightly dented. I have two questions:

2. If it is accessible, is there a relatively simple for me to remove the dents?

I've used paintless dent repair to fix a larger dent in the front fender but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that's only noticeable at a specific angle in certain light. I'd like to do it myself without the potential to making it worse if that's possible. If not, I'll just have to live with it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

dents.jpg
If the rear inner wheel well liners are removed I don't think there is easy access getting to back side of the 1/4 panel, you may be blocked by the inner wheel well housing.

The only way to PDR that would be coming in from the B-pillar (either through an existing access hole OR a PDR Pro or you would have to drill an access hole to use the tools). One might be able to get through some other access point within the trunk, rear tail or from behind the rear interior plastics.

These are the only images I could find that would demonstrate what I’m referring to above, based on your question about being able to access behind the rear 1/4 panel sheet metal.
8602410f-b00a-4e78-8ff9-6d50764a5c66-jpeg.jpg

a2faa25f-da03-4d4b-ac94-65142dcfb1d9-jpeg.jpg

e480bd73-0857-4257-8412-26a3cb8ecc03-jpeg.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2

dents.jpg
Just pay to have a pointless dent removal guy remove them and never look back.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Pointless, HA! I'll have to tell Bill my pdr guy that one. Autocorrect strikes again. After my paying for his kids braces over the years the point seems to be soothing my ocd. If only parking far away was enough to stop it.
Sponsored