Timing Components

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
I am not sure what section this should be in. In preparation for adding a supercharger to my AWD 2017 Mustang GT, I am pulling the timing cover off to replace the oil pump gears and crank sprocket.

The car has 77k on it. While I have it apart, should I upgrade and/or replace the other timing components? Is it worth it? I do plan to raise the rev limiter to 7500+.

The standard recipe seems to be:
-Boss 302 primary tensioners
-GT350 primary chains

But I am not sure what else, or if this is overkill.

What else, should I get all new guides?

What about the secondary chains? Are they hard to change?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I did a built motor after breaking a ring land on number 6. I went with the whole FRPP cam phasers, timing chains, etc. and boundry oil pump gears. I figured the engine I was replacing had 47k miles on it, and I know the timing components are supposed to be "life of the engine", but while you are already in there, why not. With all the work that YOU have done with your 4WD set-up, I would just do it. For peace of mind.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I agree 100% with HKusp. You have your engine apart and you are right there with everything exposed. If you are going to keep the car I would install all relevant parts so everything is new and will wear and work together.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Other than OPG/sprocket:

E85 resistant guides if you're going to go E85 would be prudent.

If you're planning on revving to the moon or adding a ton of boost, recommend upgrading your valve springs and if you upgrade the valve springs, there's more load on the cam caps, so either upgrade the fasteners and/or the caps themselves.

The rest is kinda tasters choice. definitely recommend using a Kinetic crank saver or at least the ARP (lot's crank failures are improper installation of the OEM bolt).

If you're going to run a ton of boost, recommend the latest gen Cometic gaskets (if you're going to have the heads off).

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
ARP hardware everywhere you touch.
Sponsored