Time to blow up the forum - which tune is best

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
When I read the title of this thread I almost thought it was “Which tune to blow up my engine?” LOL
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I was previously tuned by Livernois. Recently got tuned by AED.

The AED tune is better in all aspects and I would recommend them.

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
If you are set on going with one of the main companies, contact all of the big 4 and ask a question. See who responds. I will say this...the BEST KNOWN tuners aren't necessarily the BEST TUNERS. I know a few people in Canada that are doing amazing work with these coyote motors and they work out of small shops. To me, they blow Lund and PBD out of the water. That being said, I'd like to talk to Shaun @ AED. I read quite a bit of his posts on forums and he WANTS to share information. That's a guy that I respect.

I contacted two of the major aforementioned "big 4" tuners, with thoughts of wanting to go with a specific one. That one that I wanted to use didn't respond to either my first email or follow-up email a month later.

Go with your gut, who makes you feel the most comfortable and who is willing to put in the work to get revisions done and make sure the car runs great.

I have seen, first hand, friends that have used Lund and have had to get revision work done to make something different here or there or add a minor change. The response was quick and helpful for them.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'd recommend Lund and AED. I use a Lund tune personally and its great and I have a friend using AED and he's totally satisfied.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Thank you EN, Blue.. and others who have provided helpful information. Going to do a search for a local guy (if anyone knows someone in the KC area, please give me shout) and see what they thing the best options for me are. Like I said, I'm not trying to build an all-out race motor, just looking for a tweak or two for fun.

Sponsored

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
VMP does great tunes and excellent customer support.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thank you EN, Blue.. and others who have provided helpful information. Going to do a search for a local guy (if anyone knows someone in the KC area, please give me shout) and see what they thing the best options for me are. Like I said, I'm not trying to build an all-out race motor, just looking for a tweak or two for fun.
IMO if you’re just looking for a tweak or two and bump in performance just get an email tune from Lund AED or PBD. You’re not going to get anymore power out of a stock N/A motor. These guys do 1,000s of these tunes and they KNOW the coyotes.

One more thing- one reason email tuners may not offer up a lot information - there are a lot people who are very anal about their cars, and people like that can take one thing say and blast it all over the forum and it gets misconstrued or blown out of proportion. That type of thing could unjustly hurt their business. Lund has always answered my questions, but will they write a full page novel? No, they won’t. I assume they’ve learned just as much. It doesn’t mean a customer shouldn’t question their expertise, but when you’ve got thousands of tunes out there running great, the tune is what the tune is. All of the big name tuners mentioned here have great feedback on this forum and for good reason. I suspect they probably know more about Coyote engines than the local dyno tuner you can find.

Just something for the OP to consider.

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I was previously tuned by Livernois. Recently got tuned by AED.

The AED tune is better in all aspects and I would recommend them.
Lol another one leaves shitty livernois. Lol too funny

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
+1 for Shaun @ AED. The guy knows his stuff. And service is great. That said PBD and Lund get great feedback as well. Probably can't go wrong with any of them for boltons.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest difference between a mail order tune and a dyno tune is the tuner is not going to push a mail order tune quite as hard as if he did it in person. The tuner has a reputation to uphold and you would be suprised at some of the real morons out there getting tuned. Tuner doesn't know if the guy does prevenative maintence, drives car like he/she has any sense etc via a mail order tune, so they have to assume the worst. You tune a car in person and you can get a pretty good idea of how the owner treats the car and uses it. That gives the tuner more confidence to push the timing/boost/afr more aggressive which in turn makes more power.

To add to what bluemustang said. Tuners deal with a lot of dumbshit everyday. Just watch some of the FB groups and see how uneducated a large portion of owners are. Now, when I say uneducated that means unwilling to educate themselves or simply follow directions. If you want a good experience read up and educate yourself, ask questions and most of all LISTEN TO YOUR TUNER.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
What are some of the things y’all have asked for from your tune/tuners?

I think my tuner was playing a little too much with the torque management and it made the drivability suffer. He has since worked out the tune and it’s back to being OEM smooth.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
What are some of the things y’all have asked for from your tune/tuners?

I think my tuner was playing a little too much with the torque management and it made the drivability suffer. He has since worked out the tune and it’s back to being OEM smooth.
Great performance maintaining great driveability for a dd.
Toned down cold starts.
Flex fuel / octane changeable

Nothing too crazy reasonable items.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Great performance maintaining great driveability for a dd.
Toned down cold starts.
Flex fuel / octane changeable

Nothing too crazy reasonable items.
I mean from the actual tune. VCT phasing/timing, throttle mapping, etc. Stuff like that.

Right now I can only go off feel, but if there something to request/look for in the logs/etc I’d like to know.

I’d rather not blindly accept whatever they offer as “OMG itzz the bestest toon ever”.