Tick or no tick

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
That sounds like a rod knock. Use a stethoscope and put on oil pan, the lower sides of engine block etc. Drain oil have an analysis done. I would Not drive it until I know what it is.
PS. Good luck.
Sponsored

Reactions: dx2
OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Thanks guys, for now I do not worry about a potential damage to the engine and like I said engine sounds great to me otherwise. This knocking how I described it is only really audible in engine idle speed.
I will take a more thorough look next year before seriously considering any mods that might shout 'warranty voided' to every service on first sight. So in any case, should I find something, I will document it, hand over the findings to the Ford service, and report back.

OP
OP
dx2

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
That sounds like a rod knock. Use a stethoscope and put on oil pan, the lower sides of engine block etc. Drain oil have an analysis done. I would Not drive it until I know what it is.
PS. Good luck.
My plan is to take two or three oil samples before bringing it to the service next month.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I fully support this info.
I'm with most of this. But for 5-8 bucks, I'm not going two intervals with the same oil filter. I'm sure like many things "it's fine," but if I'm going to go through the hassle of draining I'm going with a fresh filter too. Next is that yes according to the recommendations, you should use 2 bottles of Ceratec for 10 quarts. But this is a 20 plus dollar extra that IMHO is not necessary. I've done two intervals with just one bottle per 10 quarts and there is no signs of the tick. I also do full synthetic 5W30. Unlike the filter change, IF you do a fill and one bottle of Ceratec does not do the job, you can always add more.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
2021 GT manual
Changed my oil from factory fill to Mobil 1. Silent. Just changed oil again at 20,000 kms to 5w30 Magnatec. The second I drove the car off the ramps I hear a tick, tack, tick randomly as if the catalytic converter was heating up and expanding... that metal clack.

It increases with RPM but not a steady noise, almost random ticks, long pause then in short succession.

Preparing for a track day going to do Mobil 5w30, will see if it goes away. Can't really hear it unless I am in a drive through or when I get under the car.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
2021 GT manual
Changed my oil from factory fill to Mobil 1. Silent. Just changed oil again at 20,000 kms to 5w30 Magnatec. The second I drove the car off the ramps I hear a tick, tack, tick randomly as if the catalytic converter was heating up and expanding... that metal clack.

It increases with RPM but not a steady noise, almost random ticks, long pause then in short succession.

Preparing for a track day going to do Mobil 5w30, will see if it goes away. Can't really hear it unless I am in a drive through or when I get under the car.
Would be interesting to find out if the Mobil will stop it. I tend to think it won't and you just hit the tick zone. If not, I may switch from Castrol EDGE EP to the Mobil and try it w/o Ceratec. Till then, I'm tick free with one Ceratec bottle per fill with 5K OCI's. May be overkill but works for me.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Sounds normal to me. My GT sounds like a threshing machine. I turn my hearing aids off when I drive it. Sounds much better.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Would be interesting to find out if the Mobil will stop it. I tend to think it won't and you just hit the tick zone. If not, I may switch from Castrol EDGE EP to the Mobil and try it w/o Ceratec. Till then, I'm tick free with one Ceratec bottle per fill with 5K OCI's. May be overkill but works for me.
Good words... good words. It is the oddest thing, literally the second fresh oil is poured in and the car pulled off ramps. I was a little arrogant and cocky not too long ago when I parked my car at the side of the road to take a leek and listened at the front fender saying "... hahaha those suckers with odd sounding engines... listen to this purr...."... NOT a noise, couldn't tell it was really running.

Then out of nowhere! immediately after oil change... tick tack... click clack... . What the heck? Would be very interesting to find out, when we know, what the engineering is behind this noise. It is definitely not a consistent or constant pattern but gets quicker with RPM dependent and for sure not at the top end of the motor. Crazy... !!!

Last edited:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Good words... good words. It is the oddest thing, literally the second fresh oil is poured in and the car pulled off the jack stands. I was a little arrogant and cocky not too long ago when I parked my car at the side of the road to take a leek and listened at the front fender saying "... hahaha those suckers with odd sounding engines... listen to this purr...."... NOT a noise, couldn't tell it was really running.

Then out of nowhere! immediately after oil change... tick tack... click clack... . What the heck? Would be very interesting to find out, when we know, what the engineering is behind this noise. It is definitely not consistent, constant but RPM dependent and for sure not at the top end of the motor. Crazy... !!!
Mine was rattling at 2k ish on my way home from the lot with 7 miles on the odometer. Did some exhaust work and now I don't hear anything from the engine compartment. Of course it's still there but exhaust overpowers it so I'm a happy care free camper.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Mine was rattling at 2k ish on my way home from the lot with 7 miles on the odometer. Did some exhaust work and now I don't hear anything from the engine compartment. Of course it's still there but exhaust overpowers it so I'm a happy care free camper.
.... heh if I had even 5 cents when odd noises comes up that somebody said just "TURN UP THE RADIO"

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
.... heh if I had even 5 cents when odd noises comes up that somebody said just "TURN UP THE RADIO"

I went through the phase of going crazy over it but it isn't effecting the performance of the car so stopped worrying about it. I do still keep a keen ear for new odd noises for sure. Spent several summers when still in grade school with my dad (mechanic) and learned very well to actually listen to the car. Plenty of great memories actually. My wife is the one to turn up the radio and drive home on a flat tire. Ugh!! lol.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Sounds like my wife, just last weekend we were driving in her car and she asked "what's that noise I'm hearing?" I'm like that's been there for 2 or 3 years! Her radio never gets turned off. Her air con fan rubs a bit and she never heard it before. And guess what she asked next? "Should I turn the radio back on?" Haha

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I will never go under my 16 GT and video tape for noises. I’d hear them and go insane

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
As you accumulate miles on an oil change the tick goes away, at least for my car. I change the oil according to the service indicator so as I pass 5K or so I barely notice it. Mine ticked with the factory fill when new, started around 3K miles. Since then used Mobile 1, 5w-30 which made the tick worse at start of fresh fill, added ceratec and got rid of 90% of the noise. After 5K miles on Mobile one it was gone. Tried Castrol Edge 5W-30, quieter than Mobile 1 at first but still needed the Ceratec additive. About to change to Pennzoil ultra platinum and see what happens. So far I have 37K miles and car runs strong with no issues. Also, no oil consumption after 7K miles of current Castrol Edge 5w-30 fill with Ceratec.
Sponsored