Sponsored

Thoughts on MY18 Front Suspension Noise

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
Hello,

I've recently purchased a new MY18 Mustang 5.0 10A here in Australia. She's Race Red in colour and my second Mustang. Must say she's a much more refined vehicle than my first vehicle.

I have encountered a slight "knocking" noise from the left front when I've turned the steering wheel to the right to enter my driveway - as the wheel mounts the layback the wheel would be pushed up and that's when I hear the noise.

I've also noticed when stopped in traffic, if I move the steering wheel slightly off-centre, either left or right, there's a slight click sound.

Nothing major, when driving along it's all good - just these low speed noises. Dealer has said they'll go over it and maybe tighten things up a bit and I'll take it in when the complimentary "peace of mind" is due.

Thanks
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d say let the dealer take a look for sure. Thats not normal, and any abnormal sound in the suspension that might indicate extra play at a joint should be eliminated. Extra play can cause erratic handling or poor tire wear.

Sometimes our cars will ā€˜popā€™ at low speed making a tight corner after its been sitting overnight (usually at cold temp). Thats the only ā€˜normalā€™ suspension noise I know of. Of its warm out or the car has been driven a while that noise does not occur.

If you get a bump noise or a noise when the steering wheel moves, thats not normal. Something has play that shouldnā€™t. I cant diagnose it remotely, could be a control arm bearing, loose strut bolt, bad hub, etc. Let the dealer take a shot at tracking it down if they are offering.