Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
I have a 2016 Ford Mustang GT with standard suspension with about 12k miles.

I have this noise and/or creaking from the front driver's side suspension. I think it is the front strut but I've been to the dealer twice and and they say can't find an issue. If I can have some of you guys confirm it's the front strut (or something?) that would help me out in my repair as the warranty will be coming up soon.

Please see these 2 videos to hear the noise:

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My 15 GT is doing the same thing. Pops and creaks. Worse turning or road elevation changes. Under warranty had the lower control arms changed. Is your suspension stock? You also might want to move this to the suspension section.

Reactions: tal
OP
OP
tal

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
My 15 GT is doing the same thing. Pops and creaks. Worse turning or road elevation changes. Under warranty had the lower control arms changed. Is your suspension stock? You also might want to move this to the suspension section.
I have the Ford Performance Front & Rear Sway Bars M-5490-E. So the lower control arms were changed under warranty but it's making the same noise? Or fixed?

Tried the suspension section and got no response.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford Performance Front & Rear Sway Bars M-5490-E. So the lower control arms were changed under warranty but it's making the same noise? Or fixed?

Tried the suspension section and got no response.
After changing the lower control arms the noise continues. :frown: Bringing it back to the dealership. I will keep you posted. Please let me know too.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Do your sway bars have poly bushings rather than rubber? If so, they may need some grease

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

DavisCustoms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium
This sounds EXACTLY like the noise I had with my Fusion,(similar front suspension design) there was a TSB 8-18-4 on the Fusion.
Anyway, the sound is more pronounced when turning the wheel at slow speeds usually in hotter temps and when driving over speed bumps slowly.
sounded like the front suspension was falling apart leaving work slowly.
The fix was to apply a small amount of grease to top of the upper rubber insulator on the Coil Spring and bottom of the Upper Coil Bucket on the Strut.
I included a link to the actual TSB
I hope this helps fix or narrow down the issue.

ISSUE
Some 2006 Zephyr, 2007-2009 MKZ, 2006-2009 Fusion and Milan vehicles built before 8/5/2008 may exhibit a popping, rubbing, grunting, squeaking, crunching or creaking type noise from the front strut mount when going over bumps, while driving at 1-10 MPH (1-16 Km/h) and/or during parking lot maneuvers. Typically, the noise is heard in the front outboard wheel while turning at low speeds. This noise may be caused by the jounce bumper rubbing against the dry strut plate.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Raise the vehicle as described in Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.
2. Remove front shock absorber and spring assembly per WSM, Section 204-01.
3. Disassemble the shock absorber and spring assembly per WSM, Section 204-01 under Disassembly and Assembly section.
4. Apply Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound 3600 around the upper and lower contact surfaces of the shock absorber piston bounce bumper. (Figures 1 - 2)
5. Repeat the procedure on the other side of the vehicle.
6. Lower the vehicle.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
081804A 2006-2009 Fusion/Milan, 1.8 Hrs.
2006 Zephyr, 2007-2009
MKZ: Apply Lubricant,
Includes Time To Remove/Install And Disassemble/Reassemble Both Front Strut
Assemblies. (Do Not Use With 18124A, 18124AT)
DEALER CODING CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE 18198 69

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Mag7sarah/2011-12-01_223505_fusion_noise.pdf

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
This sounds EXACTLY like the noise I had with my Fusion,(similar front suspension design) there was a TSB 8-18-4 on the Fusion.
Anyway, the sound is more pronounced when turning the wheel at slow speeds usually in hotter temps and when driving over speed bumps slowly.
sounded like the front suspension was falling apart leaving work slowly.
The fix was to apply a small amount of grease to top of the upper rubber insulator on the Coil Spring and bottom of the Upper Coil Bucket on the Strut.
I included a link to the actual TSB
I hope this helps fix or narrow down the issue.

ISSUE
Some 2006 Zephyr, 2007-2009 MKZ, 2006-2009 Fusion and Milan vehicles built before 8/5/2008 may exhibit a popping, rubbing, grunting, squeaking, crunching or creaking type noise from the front strut mount when going over bumps, while driving at 1-10 MPH (1-16 Km/h) and/or during parking lot maneuvers. Typically, the noise is heard in the front outboard wheel while turning at low speeds. This noise may be caused by the jounce bumper rubbing against the dry strut plate.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Raise the vehicle as described in Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.
2. Remove front shock absorber and spring assembly per WSM, Section 204-01.
3. Disassemble the shock absorber and spring assembly per WSM, Section 204-01 under Disassembly and Assembly section.
4. Apply Motorcraft® Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound 3600 around the upper and lower contact surfaces of the shock absorber piston bounce bumper. (Figures 1 - 2)
5. Repeat the procedure on the other side of the vehicle.
6. Lower the vehicle.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
081804A 2006-2009 Fusion/Milan, 1.8 Hrs.
2006 Zephyr, 2007-2009
MKZ: Apply Lubricant,
Includes Time To Remove/Install And Disassemble/Reassemble Both Front Strut
Assemblies. (Do Not Use With 18124A, 18124AT)
DEALER CODING CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE 18198 69

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Mag7sarah/2011-12-01_223505_fusion_noise.pdf
Thank you very much.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I fix this kind of noise all the time by applying Energy Suspension Lube to the upper and lower spring mounting locations (the rubber seats) and, if your springs a progressive spring design, also lubing the tighter-wound coil isolators.

If that does not resolve your issue, you'll need to lube your sway bar mounts (with Energy Suspension Lube) and if that doesn't work, take the strut out and check the upper mount for damage.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I fix this kind of noise all the time by applying Energy Suspension Lube to the upper and lower spring mounting locations (the rubber seats) and, if your springs a progressive spring design, also lubing the tighter-wound coil isolators.

If that does not resolve your issue, you'll need to lube your sway bar mounts (with Energy Suspension Lube) and if that doesn't work, take the strut out and check the upper mount for damage.
Thank you. I installed BMR minimum lowering springs SP 763 and performance pack struts/shocks. These are static springs. Was wondering if that was it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tal

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
According to the instructions for the Ford anti-roll bars I installed, there was to be no grease put on the rubber bushings.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
According to the instructions for the Ford anti-roll bars I installed, there was to be no grease put on the rubber bushings.
Poly lubricant?

OP
OP
tal

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
No lubricant according to Ford.
I have an extended warranty and an appointment. I'm going to take it in Tuesday.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Rubber bushings do not require lubricant. Harder poly bushings do.
Sponsored

Reactions: Bmt