TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have the Steeda tri-ax race shifter with stiff springs. The springs are a bit much for everyday at first but once everything breaks in they get a lot better. I am very happy with it and also have their one piece reverse collar. I installed the dynamat that came with the kit as well. There is a small increase in noise, the most noticeable is the transmission whine in 1st and 2nd gear. Keep in mind I have a loud exhaust system so that could mitigate a lot of the noise.

All that being said, Iā€™ve also heard a lot of good things about MGW, I ended up going with Steeda because it had a slightly larger throw reduction and I love all the other Steeda stuff I have installed on my car.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I no longer have mine but I had barton, and I loved it (I body mounted) then I later added bg fluid I think it was called, it was already smooth, but it became smoother quicker, what I mean is the fluid was basically smooth from start, instead of fords fluid needing to be warmed up. would do it again if did get another stang

all my cars are pull up reverse collar, I was not switching from this, I much prefer it from push down, and dont want to get confused / muscle memory bouncing between cars.

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I went with a Boomba, which removes the factory shift post (the portion above the pivot point that has the shifter knob at its top) and replaces it with a post 1.5" shorter. This is done from above, and reduces shifter throw by 25%. And, no, I am not affiliated with Boomba. Just determined this to be the best/easiest solution for me.

Then, from below, I tied the shifter to the tranny with a bracket.

The shifter vibrates with the tranny, but makes no noise.
How do you like the shifter? I've been looking at it but haven't pulled the trigger. I have the shifter and trans mounts from Boomba already. Those 2 pieces plus the BG Syncro shift II fluid change made the manual much more enjoyable.

I know others have complained about the manual, but I'm pretty happy with it. It's a little clucky, but smooths out considerable after reaching normal operating temp and never experienced a missed gear or lockout since installing. I don't baby my car, but I'm very conscience about driving conservatively until it warms up and not abusing my clutch. The few people I've let drive my car are always told the same thing, don't go over 3 - 3.5 k rpms before it warms up and don't ride my clutch. Everything else is free game, have fun.

Tom@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
MGW FTW! One of the best mods out there hands down. It completely changes the feels of shifting and how the the car feels.

i went with the Xspec with the flatstick handle and loved it

874271A6-1CF5-4921-90C2-81D672E19107.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
all my cars are pull up reverse collar, I was not switching from this, I much prefer it from push down, and dont want to get confused / muscle memory bouncing between cars.
you're too young to claim senility and confusion. I switched off between the GTI and Mustang and never got them confused.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you're too young to claim senility and confusion. I switched off between the GTI and Mustang and never got them confused.
its not that, I just like everything being the same. clutch pedals, made me feel like one car was broken and other wasn't Lol. one was soft and other rock hard. so I changed the springs to make them both rock hard, thanks Steeda clutch spring

I just like everything to match.

RonsterGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 5.0 GT/ā€˜16 F150 XLT/ā€˜21 Explorer Platinum
MGW. Standard length, 15% reduction throw.

Beautifully crafted, made in USA.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
I have the MGW on my S550 and I'm sad to say I hate it. For those of you out there with MGW experience, are there any adjustments to the mechanics of the MGW?

A little background on my situation:
2015 GT PP with 70k. I'm a road course racer and I know how to drive a manual (rev match etc)
Been fighting with transmission issues almost since I bought it at 28k. Ford service/warranty was frustrating and useless. I used my extended warranty to get it rebuilt after the factory warranty expired and the shop was able to source some of the upgraded Calimer components for the rebuild. I bought the MGW unit and had the shop install it with the rebuilt trans. Fluid is Redline.

So here are my issues:
Notchy, especially when cold. Shifter is stiff and requires more effort to find the right gear. Really easy to hit the wrong gear (4th) going from 5 to 6. I'm about ready to yank it out and go back to the stock shifter and add a trans mount.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I (Steeda stalk+bracket) also have resistance when trnas is cold getting into 2nd in particular and going into 3rd will 'kick' back at times. I often get the 5->4 downshift instead of 5->6 unless I make a conscious effort to keep the stalk weighted outside.

I very rarely use 6th on the highway (MY19 w/ 3.73 gears) anyway so I can be deliberate about it. Or I just jump from 4th (1:1) to 6th (2nd overdrive).

Fluid is RoyalPurple something.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
I almost went with the MGW because everyone raves about it, but wound up getting a great deal on an open box Steeda Tri-Ax race kit. By far my favorite modification so far, it really makes driving the car more fun (It was plenty of fun before). One thing I'll say is that the installation was a PIA, it was pretty involved and I spent more time under the car then I anticipated.

That said, I would absolutely do this modification again.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I almost went with the MGW because everyone raves about it, but wound up getting a great deal on an open box Steeda Tri-Ax race kit. By far my favorite modification so far, it really makes driving the car more fun (It was plenty of fun before). One thing I'll say is that the installation was a PIA, it was pretty involved and I spent more time under the car then I anticipated.

That said, I would absolutely do this modification again.
took me about 3 hours to body mount the barton, wasn't fun.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
took me about 3 hours to body mount the barton, wasn't fun.
Mine took a bit longer, but it involved having to run out and grab a missing socket, but I also had to remove or adjust a lot of parts in the way.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Mine took a bit longer, but it involved having to run out and grab a missing socket, but I also had to remove or adjust a lot of parts in the way.
I wouldnā€™t want to do it again. Jack stands and cold. Was quite miserable tbh. If I did it again Idk if I would want to do it myself again. But prob would bc shop rates prob be stupid expensive

VitalZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2011 Infiniti G37X
Right now I have the stock shifter and don't know if I should just do the Barton shifter bracket or go all-in with the MGW shifter. Did anyone start with the Barton shifter bracket and like it? Or start with it then go to MGW after?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Right now I have the stock shifter and don't know if I should just do the Barton shifter bracket or go all-in with the MGW shifter. Did anyone start with the Barton shifter bracket and like it? Or start with it then go to MGW after?
I did the Steeda bracket on it's own and it was plenty sufficient. I wanted to try a short-throw so did that on my 2nd car just for kicks.
Sponsored