Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I installed a Cool Tech roll bar that required minimal modification to the interior. I added a RSD kit but that wasn't required to use the roll bar....I just wanted to eliminate the rear seat being used for passengers.

The track org I run with, NASA, prohibits use of 4-pt harnesses. I use a Schroth 6-pt harness, Corbeau race seat and a Planted base. Super easy to swap out with the stock seat....4 bolts and the electrical plug and I'm ready for the track.
Does the airbag light get triggered with the race seat in? Or do you have some type of resistor/plug you install with the race seat?
Sponsored

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
No, just stop. It doesn't work that way. There are other threads here and across the interweb with all the reasons why but you don't "invest" in a head and neck restraint without rollover protection. Harnesses are a bad idea as well. The 4 point hoops are easy and available from several sources here. Stay safe. :thumbsup:
I was under the impression that with the proper seating position, you can use a Scroth 4 point and an airbag would save your neck.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I was under the impression that with the proper seating position, you can use a Scroth 4 point and an airbag would save your neck.
At the very least, a 4 point is going to hold you more upright than the factory belt. That's ok until the roof is coming in at you. I'm not sure about submarine issues, but I always found the 4 points had a tendency to ride up. If you are going to have a 4 point, you should go ahead and get a 5 or 6 point. The crotch strap is typically easy.

Anyway, from all of the tech I can gather, and as a race tech inspector, stock is the way to go. From there, a high quality minimum 4 point bar with .120 wall (preferably 6 with the bar attached up high or near seat belt anchor) , 5-6 pounds harness with solid mounts, and Hans, and a fire extinguisher, plus good personal safety gear. After that, it's full race and no one that I know here is cutting up a $70k street car, yet.

I'd buy that cool tech roll bar before I even bought tires for the track!

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
No, just stop. It doesn't work that way. There are other threads here and across the interweb with all the reasons why but you don't "invest" in a head and neck restraint without rollover protection. Harnesses are a bad idea as well. The 4 point hoops are easy and available from several sources here. Stay safe. :thumbsup:
I've heard that old wisdom too; that if you flip on your lid with a harness and no roll bar, that all of the weight of the car will be on your spine and you'll be dead. However, again, the likelihood of that happening is MUCH lower than that of hitting something with wheels down and wanting/needing that HANS to prevent whiplash.

That said, having a 4-point hoop with no harness is just as bad. Your head is going to go bouncing off the metal in the event of an accident.

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I am by no means an expert but I have always been told that if you run with harnesses that you need a roll bar and HANS. In fact, I don't think my track will let me on if I don't have all 3. That said, I can run the standard 3 point seat belt and no roll bar if I like all day. But if I want one of the 3 items listed above I must have the other 2.

I've heard that old wisdom too; that if you flip on your lid with a harness and no roll bar, that all of the weight of the car will be on your spine and you'll be dead. However, again, the likelihood of that happening is MUCH lower than that of hitting something with wheels down and wanting/needing that HANS to prevent whiplash.

That said, having a 4-point hoop with no harness is just as bad. Your head is going to go bouncing off the metal in the event of an accident.

Sponsored

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
4 point is actually worse than a 3-point seatbelt. You'll go submarine status and the entire pressure of the camlock goes into your sternum. 5/6 point or nothing. With that said, if you go with a harness, $400 for a HANS or Necksgen is cheap insurance against internal decapitation (google it)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I am by no means an expert but I have always been told that if you run with harnesses that you need a roll bar and HANS. In fact, I don't think my track will let me on if I don't have all 3. That said, I can run the standard 3 point seat belt and no roll bar if I like all day. But if I want one of the 3 items listed above I must have the other 2.
4 point is actually worse than a 3-point seatbelt. You'll go submarine status and the entire pressure of the camlock goes into your sternum. 5/6 point or nothing. With that said, if you go with a harness, $400 for a HANS or Necksgen is cheap insurance against internal decapitation (google it)
I have read this too. I was surprised that Ford Performance at the GT350 track attack was running only 4 point harnesses and no HANS. My understanding is some of the current 4 points on the market give a little at the top to reduce other problems that can occur with a harness.

Your thoughts?

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Simple: A 4-point will hold you in the seat on track better than a 3-point. It's not a matter of safety... I will concede that a 3-point is probably safer than a 4-point, although I will add that in 10 years of tracking my cars, I have never heard of anyone rolling their car on my home track.

Ultimately, we all decide the individual level of risk we are willing to accept, and I'm not forcing anyone to drive my car with the 4-point harness attached.

For me, at least, a roll bar is out of the question. I use my back seat for passengers, and I'm not going to spend 3 hours to bolt in a roll bar every time I want to take my car to the track. Likewise, I'm not going to slide around in my seat on track when there is a simple, easily-removable solution readily available in the marketplace that meets my needs.

To each his own.

RoadRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Does the airbag light get triggered with the race seat in? Or do you have some type of resistor/plug you install with the race seat?
I believe it does for the passenger seat but not sure about the drivers. :doh: I've tried to find a resistor type plug to use but had no luck last time I searched.

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
I have a set of 2 Schroth Quickfit pro (black) for sale as I'm going towards roll bar/race seat/6 point harness for next track season. PM me if intertested. They never got tracked.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I've been going at it completely stock, and with the Recaro seats have not really had much of an issue with support.

I will admit however that the 4-point harness used by the Ford Performance Racing School was very secure and did add some stability.

I also have a CG-lock that can be used to secure the lap portion of a 3-point harness, which can improve security as well. I haven't used it on the GT350, but it has helped on my 350Z.

-T

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
If you haven't decided on a harness/restraint and roll bar system that will support a HANS-type neck restraint, then another option is the Simpson hybrid system which does not rely on restraints for head and neck protection. The unit is a harness around your torso with tethers to the helmet and will work with a stock 3-point system. This system is favored by HPDE instructors since it is unusual for the average student to have a harness system suitable for a HANS. I don't think the Simpson is approved for competition, but that limitation is more of a FIA/SFI/politics/money thing. I may be wrong on the sanctioning since it's been a year or so since I last looked into the Simpson.

Just remember, for those who are thinking of setting up a harness system for track day events, many organizations require equal restraints for passengers. So, if you're a student with an instructor, or want the opportunity for some right-seat coaching, and the organizing body enforces this rule, you'll need two harness setups.

alevine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Porsche GT3, '15 BMW M3, '17 GT350R, '05 997
If you haven't decided on a harness/restraint and roll bar system that will support a HANS-type neck restraint, then another option is the Simpson hybrid system which does not rely on restraints for head and neck protection. The unit is a harness around your torso with tethers to the helmet and will work with a stock 3-point system. This system is favored by HPDE instructors since it is unusual for the average student to have a harness system suitable for a HANS. I don't think the Simpson is approved for competition, but that limitation is more of a FIA/SFI/politics/money thing. I may be wrong on the sanctioning since it's been a year or so since I last looked into the Simpson.

Just remember, for those who are thinking of setting up a harness system for track day events, many organizations require equal restraints for passengers. So, if you're a student with an instructor, or want the opportunity for some right-seat coaching, and the organizing body enforces this rule, you'll need two harness setups.
That Simpson Hybrid setup is pretty neat! I did not know that existed.

I am planning a roll bar and harness system. I plan to purchase a HANS system as well. I understand that if the driver has harnesses that the passenger is required to have the same under most HPDE rules. That said, would I be required to provide my instructor/passengers a HANS device as well if I am running with harnesses?

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
That Simpson Hybrid setup is pretty neat! I did not know that existed.

I am planning a roll bar and harness system. I plan to purchase a HANS system as well. I understand that if the driver has harnesses that the passenger is required to have the same under most HPDE rules. That said, would I be required to provide my instructor/passengers a HANS device as well if I am running with harnesses?
No. You do not provide a HANS device to a passenger, unless you're a really generous person.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've been going at it completely stock, and with the Recaro seats have not really had much of an issue with support.

I will admit however that the 4-point harness used by the Ford Performance Racing School was very secure and did add some stability.

I also have a CG-lock that can be used to secure the lap portion of a 3-point harness, which can improve security as well. I haven't used it on the GT350, but it has helped on my 350Z.

-T
Are you sure the CG-lock fits the GT350 buckle? I bought one and tried it. As far as I can tell CG-lock is not designed for the GT350 style buckle. On the bright side, the Ford 3 points do lock nicely when used on the track.

No. You do not provide a HANS device to a passenger, unless you're a really generous person.
Plus most HANS devices require helmet mods.
Sponsored