Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
How've you all been first of all?

Been awhile, as I used to own a '16 EBM, and active on the Bronco forums (Same name, different avatar), though lately I've been thinking about getting back in the game, as while the Bronco ticks the right boxes, already got an offroader.

End of the day, I'll test drive both engines, but what should have been simple isn't with the introduction of the High Performance Package, so it puts the Ecoboost back in the fold. This time around, going to get a Manual, and depending on the body, I got two definitive builds in mind, just looking for people's feedback on who's driven both and what do they think of both, as while my old EBM was FBO minus Catback and injectors, think that turbo and also having a stick would be a totally different animal.

Primary goal is a weekend toy that will have show to it, hardly be tracked/drag raced (though I do have a lead foot and a tampered down Need For Speed due to trying to rehab my record), driven everywhere, lots of spirited driving, and while I don't have plans to do forced induction/internals/block immediately, definitely won't be stock for long.

That said, what do you think fits the bill more? Thanks in Advance

Mike
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
If you have a lead foot as I do, get the 5.0 A10. If you are buying a 6 speed, it matters less, since you said you won't be boosting it.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
If you have a lead foot as I do, get the 5.0 A10. If you are buying a 6 speed, it matters less, since you said you won't be boosting it.
No Auto, period. I'm sure it's a wonderful Transmission, but I already got it in my truck, and that was the one thing that kinda kept my last Mustang from being perfect.

Never said I won't boost it, just not immediately

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you have a lead-foot, get a 1980 Renault Alliance.

Forgot to mention, love handling.....
If you're going to risk it, go big or stay home; PP2/GT350.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
  • Banned
If you have a lead-foot, get a 1980 Renault Alliance.

If you're going to risk it, go big or stay home; PP2/GT350.
That's the plan Coupe wise, GT package for the 'vert

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Both are completely capable and mod friendly. Main deciding factor for me was exhaust sound. I had a tuned modded mini cooper so I was kind of tired of the turbo 4 sound. The 5.0 sounds amazing and makes me smile every cold start. The mini was also a 6 speed manual just like my mustang but I will say there is a little learning curve. The 5.0 also tends to tick and rattle but your right foot gets rid of those sounds. 10k miles and couldn't be happier with my V8 manual mustang.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That's the plan Coupe wise, GT package for the 'vert
GT package is a given. PP1 or PP2 (no PP2 convertible, AFAIK) is the mandatory item. Along with Magneride and Active Exhaust. Standard GTs are not handling gurus, you need at least PP1, if not PP2.

PP = Performance Package. There are two options, PP1 & PP2.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The EB's handling is more lively because 200lbs lighter in the nose. You can flog an EB harder and not put your license in jeapardy "as fast" as the V8 but we're talking splitting hairs at this point.

The HPP is very marginally better than the current EB. Both suck as delivered with Ford's tune compared to one with a proper tune (my fav is Unleashed).

Read the many, many good threads on Chassis/Suspension/Wheels.
Do all the customary chassis/IRS/Diff mods - bracing, alignment dowels, Whiteline bushings instead of Steeda/BMR "puck" solution.

Suspension-wise either go big (3000+) or go with BMR SP083 springs mated to FP 'Track' shock package or Steeda *adjustable* pro-actions, NOT the '-actives'.

If you want an HPP+Handling EB+Prem look at places like this.
https://www.malloyfordalexandria.com/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-bbad1c680a0e0adf666e9d8a6d321348.htm Though the price was 34k 2 days ago so they're playing around with the asking price.

If you like green my '19 with 6k miles should pop up in your 'local' NJ zip search pretty soon. Has lots of mods already (chassis, racing intercooler, oil cooler) done to it and if you want the parts I took off, can easily send them on.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Both are completely capable and mod friendly. Main deciding factor for me was exhaust sound. I had a tuned modded mini cooper so I was kind of tired of the turbo 4 sound. The 5.0 sounds amazing and makes me smile every cold start. The mini was also a 6 speed manual just like my mustang but I will say there is a little learning curve. The 5.0 also tends to tick and rattle but your right foot gets rid of those sounds. 10k miles and couldn't be happier with my V8 manual mustang.
Why I said I should test drive both, see how I like them overall and then go from there. I did have a fbo EBM as seen in the sig, but it was automatic, so there's that

GT package is a given. PP1 or PP2 (no PP2 convertible, AFAIK) is the mandatory item. Along with Magneride and Active Exhaust. Standard GTs are not handling gurus, you need at least PP1, if not PP2.

PP = Performance Package. There are two options, PP1 & PP2.
Of course, my old girl was had a PP, ONLY way I'd get them

If handling is a major concern, why not go for a GT350 and a 5.2L voodoo?
That is an option, I'll think about it, thanks!

The EB's handling is more lively because 200lbs lighter in the nose. You can flog an EB harder and not put your license in jeapardy "as fast" as the V8 but we're talking splitting hairs at this point.

The HPP is very marginally better than the current EB. Both suck as delivered with Ford's tune compared to one with a proper tune (my fav is Unleashed).

Read the many, many good threads on Chassis/Suspension/Wheels.
Do all the customary chassis/IRS/Diff mods - bracing, alignment dowels, Whiteline bushings instead of Steeda/BMR "puck" solution.

Suspension-wise either go big (3000+) or go with BMR SP083 springs mated to FP 'Track' shock package or Steeda *adjustable* pro-actions, NOT the '-actives'.

If you want an HPP+Handling EB+Prem look at places like this.
https://www.malloyfordalexandria.com/new/Ford/2020-Ford-Mustang-bbad1c680a0e0adf666e9d8a6d321348.htm Though the price was 34k 2 days ago so they're playing around with the asking price.

If you like green my '19 with 6k miles should pop up in your 'local' NJ zip search pretty soon. Has lots of mods already (chassis, racing intercooler, oil cooler) done to it and if you want the parts I took off, can easily send them on.
I remember the difference the tuning made and how good they were. Thanks for advising where to go suspension wise btw, and good luck selling your Mustang btw. Not ready yet, still gotta sell my St2 Audi first.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
good luck selling your Mustang btw. Not ready yet, still gotta sell my St2 Audi first.
It's already sold. to 'autolendersgo.com' which is based in NJ. Give them a holler they may give you a quote for the ST2 that you can't refuse. Or Carvana, etc.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
It's already sold. to 'autolendersgo.com' which is based in NJ. Give them a holler they may give you a quote for the ST2 that you can't refuse. Or Carvana, etc.
I will, though as I said, not ready yet

Still, thanks!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm gonna vote V8: The Gen 3 Coyote is great - it also sounds great. I have a 2018 GT PP1 A10 with MagneRide that I feel handles very well. I have yet to reach its limits on the street and I drive on curvy back roads pretty regularly with Shelby GT350s and other sports cars. I have the A10 since it's much quicker than the M6 in a straight line, but obviously, you could get a PP1 M6 w/ MagneRide.

In stock form the PP1 w/ MagneRide handles very well, and a few lightening mods help improve it that much more. New lightweight wheels (mine saved 36 lbs rotational mass), Borla catback (the Borla S-type is 23 lbs lighter than factory catback), remove the engine cover (4.5 lbs), and a few other things can wake it up further in a straight line and on the curves. Right now my car is 70 lbs lighter than factory (33 lbs off the front, 37 lbs rear), and can easily go to 82 lbs lighter (i.e., for cruises). I've done nothing extreme thus far (but most of the weight savings hasn't been free - new wheels, exhaust, etc.).

An Antigravity lithium ion battery (saves 24 lbs) and lightweight front rotors (saves 19 lbs) will eventually make it on my car when the factory parts need replacing, saving another 43 lbs, all off the front of the car. Since the suspension is tuned for factory weight I probably won't do much more than that as I don't want to disrupt the factory chassis tuning too much with excessive weight loss (i.e., carbon fiber components, stirpping carpet, stereo, AC, sound deadening, etc.). My car is a daily driver that I want to remain comfortable.

Anyway, that's my (more than) 2 cents.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
I'm gonna vote V8: The Gen 3 Coyote is great - it also sounds great. I have a 2018 GT PP1 A10 with MagneRide that I feel handles very well. I have yet to reach its limits on the street and I drive on curvy back roads pretty regularly with Shelby GT350s and other sports cars. I have the A10 since it's much quicker than the M6 in a straight line, but obviously, you could get a PP1 M6 w/ MagneRide.

In stock form the PP1 w/ MagneRide handles very well, and a few lightening mods help improve it that much more. New lightweight wheels (mine saved 36 lbs rotational mass), Borla catback (the Borla S-type is 23 lbs lighter than factory catback), remove the engine cover (4.5 lbs), and a few other things can wake it up further in a straight line and on the curves. Right now my car is 70 lbs lighter than factory (33 lbs off the front, 37 lbs rear), and can easily go to 82 lbs lighter (i.e., for cruises). I've done nothing extreme thus far (but most of the weight savings hasn't been free - new wheels, exhaust, etc.).

An Antigravity lithium ion battery (saves 24 lbs) and lightweight front rotors (saves 19 lbs) will eventually make it on my car when the factory parts need replacing, saving another 43 lbs, all off the front of the car. Since the suspension is tuned for factory weight I probably won't do much more than that as I don't want to disrupt the factory chassis tuning too much with excessive weight loss (i.e., carbon fiber components, stirpping carpet, stereo, AC, sound deadening, etc.). My car is a daily driver that I want to remain comfortable.

Anyway, that's my (more than) 2 cents.
Speaking my language, thats part of the plan in general!
Sponsored

Last edited: