Thermostat and whipple

Juiced35th

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Luke
Vehicle(s)
19 PP GT
Which thermostat are you whipple guys running in your 18-19s? I have a reische 170 degree that i was going to use. Should i use something else?
Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Motorad 160 here. I can’t honestly say if it’s better or sores than the reisch 170.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
I have a 2016, but in my car the reische 170 made a big difference over whichever 160 thermostat Whipple shipped with the kit. CHT averaged about 10 degrees cooler throughout my summer driving with the reische.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016, but in my car the reische 170 made a big difference over whichever 160 thermostat Whipple shipped with the kit. CHT averaged about 10 degrees cooler throughout my summer driving with the reische.
That’s VERY interesting. I just assumed (like a fool) that they would supply the right part for the job. :thumbsup:

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
the reische 170 is the best cooling thermostat out there, hands down!

Sponsored

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
I understood(from Whipple) the Whipple supplied calibration will not support a cooler t-stat.

If you are running an aftermarket calibration than no issues. The calibration will take the temp into account.

Rob

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
That’s VERY interesting. I just assumed (like a fool) that they would supply the right part for the job. :thumbsup:

While many distributors (not SC manufacturers) offer a t-stat option with all super charger packages they sell, the ECT T-stat isn't a standard part of the sc package itself. Has nothing to do with Whipple. The item is offered in addition to the Supercharger on the purchase page as a convenience. Lethal Performance offers the Reische 170 as an add on option with Whipple packages. Team Beefcake Racing offers Reische and Even Flo as options. Other distributors may offer a different brand, multiple brands, or no t-stat in the purchase page for the SC at all. It's an add on sales strategy and not a standard part of the packages that Whipple offers.

Ask your distributor why he/she did not offer "the right part for the job". You're blaming Whipple for something out of their control. Below is a direct link to Whipple webpage.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=384

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I believe the whipple does not supply a thermostat for the 2018+ for emissions compliance reasons.

rtg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1+
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the whipple does not supply a thermostat for the 2018+ for emissions compliance reasons.
You are correct. I just looked up CARB D-231-52 that the t-stat has to remain the same as stock.

Rob

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

While many distributors (not SC manufacturers) offer a t-stat option with all super charger packages they sell, the ECT T-stat isn't a standard part of the sc package itself. Has nothing to do with Whipple. The item is offered in addition to the Supercharger on the purchase page as a convenience. Lethal Performance offers the Reische 170 as an add on option with Whipple packages. Team Beefcake Racing offers Reische and Even Flo as options. Other distributors may offer a different brand, multiple brands, or no t-stat in the purchase page for the SC at all. It's an add on sales strategy and not a standard part of the packages that Whipple offers.

Ask your distributor why he/she did not offer "the right part for the job". You're blaming Whipple for something out of their control. Below is a direct link to Whipple webpage.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=384
Erm...
I can’t speak for ALL kits that Whipple ship but I can absolutely assure you that my 15-17 TUNER kit came with a thermostat, DIRECTLY from Whipple. Not the vendor. It’s even on the picking slip from the Whipple factory.
It’s not a big deal, just an observation.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Juiced35th

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Luke
Vehicle(s)
19 PP GT
So if im going to run the whipple calibration tune can i use the reishe 170?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Erm...
I can’t speak for ALL kits that Whipple ship but I can absolutely assure you that my 15-17 TUNER kit came with a thermostat, DIRECTLY from Whipple. Not the vendor. It’s even on the picking slip from the Whipple factory.
It’s not a big deal, just an observation.
It's an option on their website but NOT a part of the kit.

Nothing mentioned about a T-stat in on the whipple website for any of their kits. This would be a first. Saleen, VMP, Roush, Ford Racing, Magneson, DOB, Whipple of Yesteryear, Vortech, Paxton, Procharger....none of these MFGR's including Whipple in the past have included a T-stat. I've only had four FI setups and researched 99% of the options at one time or another and NEVER seen where the MFGR offered such an item in their kit. However that is not to say that the distributor didn't and many will. However assuming you are right and they do though their current website says nothing about it in any available kit (and that would be a value added item to mention as a marketing ploy) the T-stat would still be "THE RIGHT PART FOR THE JOB". It may not be the most efficient option available but it is still the right part for the job. Plenty of PD packages come with undersized H.E's. Doesn't make them the wrong part for the job, it only makes them less efficient than a larger volume H.E option.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's an option on their website but NOT a part of the kit.

Nothing mentioned about a T-stat in on the whipple website for any of their kits. This would be a first. Saleen, VMP, Roush, Ford Racing, Magneson, DOB, Whipple of Yesteryear, Vortech, Paxton, Procharger....none of these MFGR's including Whipple in the past have included a T-stat. I've only had four FI setups and researched 99% of the options at one time or another and NEVER seen where the MFGR offered such an item in their kit. However that is not to say that the distributor didn't and many will. However assuming you are right and they do though their current website says nothing about it in any available kit (and that would be a value added item to mention as a marketing ploy) the T-stat would still be "THE RIGHT PART FOR THE JOB". It may not be the most efficient option available but it is still the right part for the job. Plenty of PD packages come with undersized H.E's. Doesn't make them the wrong part for the job, it only makes them less efficient than a larger volume H.E option.
Here’s a packing slip from Whipple, not the vendor.
I agree that it’s “functional”. But given that in this case it was a tuner kit, I’d say it wasn’t optimal.
Whatever.
E81326BE-9D53-424C-B953-AF6376BBABE2.jpeg

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Resishe 170* will keep your head temps around 190* and your coolant temps around 185*. I don't normally recommend 160* ones

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
On Whipple's website the item is listed as an accessory. It is not a standard part of any kit Whipple sells. They don't mention anything about a T-stat in the packages listed on the website, only in the accessories section under misc. Here is the link.

https://whipplesuperchargers.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=274

Show me on the Whipple website where the package you purchased mentions or lists anything about a T-stat being included.

I will admit I am wrong and have done so in the past. If Whipple is making this a standard part of their package they would be a first and they sure aren't mentioning it in any of their packages listed on their website........only as a misc. accessory not even considered a spare part.
Steeda, Lethal, Brenspeed, Teambeefcakeracing, and PalmBeachDyno all show nothing listed in their description on any standard package of Whipple's they sell (nor does whipple's official site) indicating that a T-stat is standard equipment. It is an optional device selectable at buyer choosing (like choosing navigation on your premium rather than simply ordering the GT premium package in it's standard form). Who you bought it from either asked you if you wanted it and you said yes, or selected it for you because they choose to add t he option on every kit they sell.

Once again in your reply you state and I quote, "That’s VERY interesting. I just assumed (like a fool) that they would supply the right part for the job." This is a far cry from optimal v functional. Whoever decided to add the part to the kit or for that matter even if I am wrong and the kit came standard with the T-stat (though there is more evidence to indicate it didn't than did) the part IS NOT THE WRONG PART AS YOU FALSELY INDICATE. That is a misreprentation of the truth. There may be better options as have been stated, but one part being better than another does not make either part the wrong part, it simply makes one a better choice over the other.

As for your question on the 170 Reische, yes it may be used in place of the 160, however the fan strategies may not be optimized for it.
Sponsored