The ford performance air filter

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
Hey, Jim (18usc371), like that bucket gizmo, what is it called and where did you get it ? TIA.
There are several on Amazon, all around 7 to 9 dollars. They are called “grit guards.” They really do the job.

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
Amazon.. $60 air aid blue.. installed today..
BE05C10B-A9C1-4A50-8583-B1E6616E0118.jpeg

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Amsoil makes one also. EaAU6080. Direct fit.
I ordered this based on your post and when I tried to install it I immediately notice the flange ID was too big and wouldn't work. Looked up the specs on this filter and the flange ID is 6" and the Ford Performance/AirRaid filter as well as the stock paper filter flange ID is 5-5/8". They don't even offer anything in between 4-1/2" and 6" so I'll have to send it back and get the AirRaid. Annoying, but hopefully this saves someone else from buying the wrong part.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I ordered this based on your post and when I tried to install it I immediately notice the flange ID was too big and wouldn't work. Looked up the specs on this filter and the flange ID is 6" and the Ford Performance/AirRaid filter as well as the stock paper filter flange ID is 5-5/8". They don't even offer anything in between 4-1/2" and 6" so I'll have to send it back and get the AirRaid. Annoying, but hopefully this saves someone else from buying the wrong part.
interesting, as that’s the one I’m running with zero issues. Did you try to clamp it down? Or was it waaay too lose? Doesn’t make sense.

Sponsored

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
interesting, as that’s the one I’m running with zero issues. Did you try to clamp it down? Or was it waaay too lose? Doesn’t make sense.
It was so loose I didn't feel like it would compress that much and seal off and I didn't want to risk damaging it trying to torque it down and not be able to return it. 3/8" is just too much to try and make up. It should fit snug like the stock one does

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It was so loose I didn't feel like it would compress that much and seal off and I didn't want to risk damaging it trying to torque it down and not be able to return it. 3/8" is just too much to try and make up. It should fit snug like the stock one does
Interesting. Now I’m trying to remember. Maybe mine was that way too, but it sure clamped down just fine with no wrinkles or issues. I’ll go look today, but it’s been on for 10,000 miles; nothing to see at this point.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting. Now I’m trying to remember. Maybe mine was that way too, but it sure clamped down just fine with no wrinkles or issues. I’ll go look today, but it’s been on for 10,000 miles; nothing to see at this point.
If you're doing oil analysis, a loose air filter will show up - in a big way - as high silicon and bearing metals. Since that's not a problem that anyone using the Amsoil filter has talked about, then whatever is happening with the filter, it's working fine.

Sponsored

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
If you're doing oil analysis, a loose air filter will show up - in a big way - as high silicon and bearing metals. Since that's not a problem that anyone using the Amsoil filter has talked about, then whatever is happening with the filter, it's working fine.
It might clamp down just fine, but 3/8" is a lot to try and make up and I'm just going to send it back and get one that fits like it should.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@chesster51 I checked mine last night. Even took a small inspection mirror to look completely around it. It is completely clamped down flat all the way around, will not slip or turn by hand, and there are no wrinkles or anything in the neck of the filter / under the clamp. I know you said you weren't comfortable with it, so, just FYI.

Valen22br

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Gustavo
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Does this filter voids warranty if not installed by the dealership?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Does this filter voids warranty if not installed by the dealership?
Technically something can only void a warranty if the installed part is suspected/proven of contributing to the particular failure in which you’re seeking warranty repair. So, if a wheel bearing has failed and you go to get it repaired under warranty, they can’t claim that your air filter voided the warranty. You can reference the Consumer Products Warranty Act of 1975 (also referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act)

In general, dealerships don’t care too much about air filter replacements... especially if it’s just the filter and not an entire intake, especially if it’s the same make as something they offer (like the Airaid model which is identical to the one sold by ford performance.)

However, if you’d rather be safe than sorry, you can always keep your existing paper air filter and re-install it if you ever go in for warranty work. Also, as a few members have mentioned, it’s not a bad idea to keep it around for use while the reusable filter is drying after a cleaning.
Sponsored