Sponsored

The endless FI loop

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As some others may empathise, I just cannot make up my mind to go Hellion, Whipple or Procharger
I have read and re read endless threads.
So here's the thing, i travel a lot and have limited time for spannering my potentially blown up car.
We only have access to 95 at best . i assume 7 or 8 psi being about it to remain safe.
Could do meth but just more hassle.

I have decided to make the decision on the FI that will give most HP per pound of boost, coupled with least destructive to engine all things being equal.

The whipple and procharger are great but load crank snout and eat up power to be driven.

That leaves Hellion. most power per psi [which helps when fuel limited]
And no crank or OPG hassles.

Am I missing something ? I just feel for my use the Hellion will deliver best ?
I am sure i am not the only one sitting on this fence.
Hi Veteran,
I am in Italy, 95 RON in Italy is equivalent to 90-91 Octane (AKI) in the US. You can still get a tune to run this. Methanol is a good way to offset a low AKI number. Crank snout problems are non existent in these low boost setups.

I am in the Napoli region, here commonly there is 95 RON, but I have seen some 98 RON and 100RON.
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Turbo is the most Bang for your buck but definitely a lot more install and maintenance. Whipple is a great option. pro charger if you’re worried about stress on the crank you can get the H.O smog legal kit. it puts the procharger on the crank pulley without any spacer or added pulley
Meh on smog kit. Stage 2 all day. Crank support if youre scared of the internet troll stories.

IMG_20201021_200553.jpg

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm all for whatever factors are important (most) to someone in selecting a power adder, but I need to correct a myth.

Whipple's (and PD blowers in general) aren't hell on traction, it's your foot that needs calibrating.

You can drive a whipple or a TVS blower from stop light to stoplight very easily without spinning the tires. Just don't put your foot in it.

That's a tongue in cheek way of saying yes, if you want a setup where you can mash to the floor and have less of a chance of blowing the tires, a turbo setup (with sophisticated boost controller) is best, centri is better, PD is worst.

Also, if you're worried about the crank, you can run a support (as pointed out above) however you can't do it without losing your front sway bar (which most straightline apes don't care about anyway, but if you don't like driving a waterbed around turns, it matters).

Turbos are great, but involved and have drawbacks as well, just depends on what you want to do and what's more (and less) important to you.

It's hard to argue with the simplicity of a procharger centri setup.

OP
OP
Veteran

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I'm all for whatever factors are important (most) to someone in selecting a power adder, but I need to correct a myth.

Whipple's (and PD blowers in general) aren't hell on traction, it's your foot that needs calibrating.

You can drive a whipple or a TVS blower from stop light to stoplight very easily without spinning the tires. Just don't put your foot in it.

That's a tongue in cheek way of saying yes, if you want a setup where you can mash to the floor and have less of a chance of blowing the tires, a turbo setup (with sophisticated boost controller) is best, centri is better, PD is worst.

Also, if you're worried about the crank, you can run a support (as pointed out above) however you can't do it without losing your front sway bar (which most straightline apes don't care about anyway, but if you don't like driving a waterbed around turns, it matters).

Turbos are great, but involved and have drawbacks as well, just depends on what you want to do and what's more (and less) important to you.

what u say above is so true. Most systems are very good. This is what make choosing so challenging.
if e85 was available I’d feel different .As we are octane deprived, we are psi deprived.
this means most bang for small psi leaves us with turbocharging.
What is max safe psi on 91 Octane ? 8 psi ?
if I were to water meth, what would be the safe psi boost I could take it to? 12/14 psi?

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
what u say above is so true. Most systems are very good. This is what make choosing so challenging.
if e85 was available I’d feel different .As we are octane deprived, we are psi deprived.
if I were to water meth, what would be the safe psi boost I could take it to? 12/14 psi?
These are all 100% for your tuner. If you're stuck with 91, octane booster, methanol, even a small shot of nitrous can help, but you need to ask your tuner what they're comfortable with and what they prefer.

Yes, if you're limited on fuel, turbos will make the maximum amount of power per lb of boost.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have had over 18psi on91 with water meth without issue. I have seen over 21 on 91. Water/meth is 99% as good as e85

OP
OP
Veteran

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I have had over 18psi on91 with water meth without issue. I have seen over 21 on 91. Water/meth is 99% as good as e85
Well perhaps my aversion to water meth will have to take a back seat. there Don’t seem many threads on the meth mustang subject here.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There is no rule of thumb, it depends on what your setup is what what the tuner will allow on said setup. 14 psi is probably too much if you aren't running an Alcohol based fuel.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
For comparison, the Whipple and roush kits are designed for 91. Whipple runs 11 psi and Roush runs 12. I think 8 psi would be fairly safe and powerful.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox

Normal to light spirited driving i dont notice the absence of front sway bar.
Smog legal kit can make just as much power
Im sure

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Buy whichever one you can get the best deal on (probably ProC or Whipple).

They are all capable of destroying your stock motor but docile at your desired power level.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Well perhaps my aversion to water meth will have to take a back seat. there Don’t seem many threads on the meth mustang subject here.
Water/meth kits are very advanced these days. Warning you if you are low even limiting boost if anything fails. It can save your motor before you even know there was a problem

Fast351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I'm curious why the OP has selected three vastly different driving experiences and is torn between them. Well OK, I guess you could group centri and turbos into the same group as far as driving experience goes. I will give you the highlights:

1) PD blowers. (Whipple, Roush, VMP, KB, etc). Instant boost on the street. Lots of torque. Medium install difficulty. For a street only car unless you're shooting for ridiculous power numbers this my choice. Super fun to drive.
2) Centri blower. Main advantage is ease of install, followed by easier driving on the street because the boost isn't instantaneous. On the other hand, it's not as fun to drive on the street because you're waiting for boost to build. Great for high HP numbers on the dyno, good for drag racing because the power comes in as traction improves.
3) Turbo(s). Most difficult install. Power curve similar to centri blower but no parasitic loss from being crankshaft driven, so for the same PSI boost makes more power and less stress on the engine. More difficult to manage tune, but once sorted out the boost controller can arbitrarily increase power as you want, as opposed to having to swap pulleys. Many more moving pieces. But for making max power, this is the golden standard, and blowers are just chasing behind.

So the big question is what do you want to do with the car and what's your driving style?
Sponsored