Test driving yesterday, help me decide/rationalize

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I was all set to buy my new 2020 Mustang GT with PP1 and nothing else. It's just what I want. And I've been reading, reading and reading this forum for opinions, and the general consensus seems to be that if you are fuddy-duddy when it comes to ride quality, as I am, then the MagneRide option is mandatory. I don't want to make the same mistake I made last time, buying a car that was too stiff and uncomfortable (BMW M2). So I went back yesterday to test drive the car some more, on roads that I'm more familiar with.

I got lost. Which was fine, because it forced me to spend an hour driving the car, and I went home to use the bathroom and drove on all those terrible roads that I drive on everyday (when I go to work, which I haven't done for two months now). And it helped me to realize that the PP suspension is too much for me. So I went back and drove a car with PP and MR. OMG. Night and day. It is, as I describe it, a Mustang for grown-ups. Much more liveable, yet still firm and responsive for when I take it to the track, which I intend to do. It also had the active exhaust, which I must now have as well. It too makes the car more liveable in normal city driving. Not that the base exhaust is too loud, but it does make quite the noise when accelerating and I'd prefer to be more discrete most of the time. The leather seats did not seem to have quite as much side bolstering as the cloth, and I'm not crazy about the SYNC system nor all of the other crap that came on the car, the safety stuff, alarm, etc. and I don't need the nav, which I guess is part of the SYNC.

If I order exactly what I want, it's $47K according to the build my own, which doesn't show destination, so make it $48K.

If I buy their 2020 Premium loaded mode that I drove, it's right at $52.

Another location of the same dealer has a 2020 Bullit, which comes with the PP and AE, optioned with MR and electronic package, is $53K.

Smart money would order my car exactly as I want it and save 4-5K. But I'll have to wait, probably until September or October, since if I order it would be a 2021. And likely won't be as heavily discounted as a in-stock model.

Upside for the Bullitt aside from the cool color and wheels, is slightly better resale value. And 20 horsepower.

If I was advising someone else, I'd say wait and order what you want. The little devil on my shoulder says "with all of the crap going on in the world, you may not be alive when that car comes in. And you'll miss a track day or two by then. You ain't gettin' no younger, old man."

Comments?
Sponsored

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Your money, get what you want. Now is good, might not make it to September or later.

dominic msu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Magnetic Grey 6SP 401A PP1 MagneRide Active Exhaust
If the extra cost is no big deal then spend the money. I wouldn’t want to miss a summer of driving my new car if I am ready to purchase. But then again I am relatively impatient.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Tell them you want that 2020 Premium loaded (assuming it has magneride) for $48 since that is what you would pay if you ordered a-la-cart. But you get all the other goodies too and will be in your driveway after the deal is signed.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, you sound just like me.
So, with that in mind, buy the car you test drove, and offer $48K. What's the most they will say, no?

PS: Life is short. Look how 2020 has started out, and we're only 5 months in...

Sponsored

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
There were plenty of 2019 Bullitts available brand new at dealers, many had good discounts.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Tell them you want that 2020 Premium loaded (assuming it has magneride) for $48 since that is what you would pay if you ordered a-la-cart. But you get all the other goodies too and will be in your driveway after the deal is signed.
^ This, win/win.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Tell your dealer to find you a car with the options you want.

Otherwise, order it and wait. You'll likely regret it off you don't get what you want.

W1cK3dSiK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2, 2020 F150 Lariat Sport
Everyone's situation is different, however I opted to custom order mine the way I wanted. But I knew exactly what I needed to have. 301A with the larger screen was a must, Recaro's were a must, Magneride was a must, and so was active exhaust. Ended up ordering a PP2 and although it took a while to get, the wait was worth it in the end. Only advice I have is don't settle. You're spending almost 50k on a car, so get it optioned the way you want. If there's one that meets your needs on a dealer lot, even better.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Comments?
If you are ordering PP1 with Magrade better get the grabber lime PP2 from the other post it's 40000$ which is a steal and the colour is on the rare side and it's also the advertising colour for the GT500. Obviously I get my car Premium and for me the Premium package is a must have for the Sync 3 alone because I love both Spotify and Waze for my road trips and there is nothing better for a road trip than a Premium Mustang.

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Unless you want a particular exterior/interior interior combo, I'd say now is a really good time to buy. I've seen discounts as high as 8.5k for a fully loaded MY20 GT's which is pretty good IMO. If it was me, i wouldn't wait so long... I'm on the impatient side

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’m with the guys who say to try to negotiate the car based on the price of building it. Show them that and see if they’ll come down.

I too am impatient when I get my mind set on something. So that mentality plays right into car dealers hands bc I’m on the hook.

However my philosophy on big purchases is this...when it comes time to make the payment if I hate clicking send on the process payment button I’ve chosen poorly. If I have no problem paying it then I’ve gotten exactly what I want.

So if you feel MR is a necessity? Get it. Otherwise if you don’t then you’ll end up hating the car and hating paying for it even more.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Don't want a PP2. Everything I read says it's a very stiff ride.

First hand experience is the best. Take 2nd look at/drive the PP2 you won’t be dissatisfied. Anyway good luck on purchasing.
Sponsored