Sponsored

Test Drive

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
My dealer didn't have a manual or performance package so I bought one without the test drive. In my opinion for me to drive an automatic would not have sealed the deal. There isn't much on the lots here in MA. Expecting a Red one in April.
lol same here bro, the two ford dealerships hardly had any gts in stock let alone manual ones..when i went in to order, so i just ordered one without ever having a test drive.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Just sitting in one was enough for me, I have yet to actually drive one.

BufordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless at the moment
Don't feel bad.

I'm 55 and went to my local dealer and saw 1 convertible on the lot. Pulled in and asked to sit in it. Salesman said they weren't allowing test drives...Told him I wanted to sit in it, not drive it to see how the seats were compared to my 90 GT convertible and 01 Cobra Convertible. He hurried inside and got the keys and remote started it. I sat in it and looked around and got out. He said "You didn't want to test drive it?" I laughed, said no and left.

So it doesn't always have to do with age.

Last edited:

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard
You can probably find a dealer to let you drive one. You just have to manage appearances.

They need to imagine you can seriously buy the car basically based off just your appearance. Is it right? No. Is that how it works? Yes.

As a young guy if you roll in driving a '91 Civic that no one could guess what the original color was, wearing ripped up jeans, a t-shirt covered in obscenities, and a cap on backwards no one is going to let you drive a sports car. While that may be a slight exaggeration when I was test driving a '15 WRX STI a dude pretty close to this was hovering around trying to get a spin in it.

An older buyer will get quite a bit more slack. Since you can't make yourself older at least make sure you play the part a bit. Slacks and a polo shirt, if you have a decent job forgetting to take your badge off can help.

I'm 36 and at this point I've test driven pretty much every new "sports" car under $60k. Only time I was ever told no was a dealer that their only GT had 20"s with summer tires and it was about 22F out. Of course another dealer let me take out a PP car the next day at around 30F.

Ivabign596

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Kemp ford in Thousand Oaks, CA doesn't allow test drives either. At first they claimed it was because of limited stock, but they now they have over a dozen cars (most have been there for several months) and still aren't allowing test drives.
I could see them doing that for the limited edition model they have, but for the others, they're not Ferrari's, they're Mustangs.

Sponsored

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
You can probably find a dealer to let you drive one. You just have to manage appearances.

They need to imagine you can seriously buy the car basically based off just your appearance. Is it right? No. Is that how it works? Yes.

As a young guy if you roll in driving a '91 Civic that no one could guess what the original color was, wearing ripped up jeans, a t-shirt covered in obscenities, and a cap on backwards no one is going to let you drive a sports car. While that may be a slight exaggeration when I was test driving a '15 WRX STI a dude pretty close to this was hovering around trying to get a spin in it.

An older buyer will get quite a bit more slack. Since you can't make yourself older at least make sure you play the part a bit. Slacks and a polo shirt, if you have a decent job forgetting to take your badge off can help.

I'm 36 and at this point I've test driven pretty much every new "sports" car under $60k. Only time I was ever told no was a dealer that their only GT had 20"s with summer tires and it was about 22F out. Of course another dealer let me take out a PP car the next day at around 30F.
Haha, its not even that, you just need to make them take you seriously. Im 27 now, but even at like 24..ive only ever been told no once when i wanted to test drive a challanger SRT8 and when they told me no i made a scene until they changed their mind. I am a customer and their job is to sell me their car not to judge me based on appearance/age.

MIKESHIP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MIKE
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG GT
I went to 3 different dealerships, dressed in my jeans and sweat shirt, and not one told me I could not test drive(I'm 56yo) . First dealership, me and the salesman went out, I told him I was just shopping and in no hurry to purchase. I brought my wife back later and he put a tag on it and let us go. The second dealership put a tag on it and let us go out for a spin no questions about anything. Got back and the sales manager asked if I wanted some numbers, I said ok but i only have 30 minutes to get your best price. He came out with invoice minus rebates and i told him me and wife had to talk. Wife said just "do it" and order the car but no car payments. Not once have they asked me how i am going to pay. My GT should be here on 2/28, so i'll stroke and check and drive my new baby home and slip her in the garage.:clap2:

BufordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless at the moment
MIKESHIP, does you wife have a single sister in her 50's too????:clap2:

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I saw a dealer with a paper on the dashboard "Test Drives $25".

OP
OP

Skyline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord

I figured this would be a factor in determining whether I would be able to drive the car or not. Made sure to look nice and my current car isn't a beater. I am not sure whether it was because they only had 5-6 2015's on the lot or the salesman was just giving me jive. Probably won't be going back to that dealer anyway. I'm glad others aren't having the same problem though and that it may just be an isolated problem with the dealer. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
My dealer called me every time he had a new Mustang in and asked if I wanted to test drive it. They had no issues with me putting miles on. The only time I had to wait was when I wanted to drive a GT/PP and is was like 10 degrees outside. I understood and waited for better weather.

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
I saw a dealer with a paper on the dashboard "Test Drives $25".
I bet that car was an orange GT! I saw it too! Ha ha!
:hail:
Sponsored