Test Drive

Skyline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
May sound like a lame questions to ask, but has anyone had problems test driving mustangs before purchasing. Not sure if it's because of my age, 23, but the dealer I visited did not allow me to test drive until the day I make a down payment. Supposedly, not to rack up the miles on the car, which I understand. Not sure if this is all just jive or have others had the same problem? Located in Massachusetts.
Sponsored

hawkfan15GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Sounds like BS to me. How many miles would you put on it while going on a test drive? 5? Hardly enough to warrant the dealer using that as an excuse, unless it's an LE which I doubt. You need to drive a vehicle before purchase to make sure everything is to your liking anyway. I'd go somewhere else.

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
I test drove one at 22 no questions asked. He just asked if I had a driver's license and I was off.

RobBaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed, Performance Package in RR
My dealer didn't have a manual or performance package so I bought one without the test drive. In my opinion for me to drive an automatic would not have sealed the deal. There isn't much on the lots here in MA. Expecting a Red one in April.

Blackdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
May sound like a lame questions to ask, but has anyone had problems test driving mustangs before purchasing. Not sure if it's because of my age, 23, but the dealer I visited did not allow me to test drive until the day I make a down payment. Supposedly, not to rack up the miles on the car, which I understand. Not sure if this is all just jive or have others had the same problem? Located in Massachusetts.
Sounds just like First Ford in Fall River. They pulled that crap with me. I said,.. Oh yeah, see ya then because I came here to test drive it,.. Bye!!! All of a sudden, they changed their tune. If it is First Ford In Fall River, run, run fast and don't look back.

Blackdog

Sponsored

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I test drove one of the first unsold mustangs available back in October. The dealer didn't have a problem with it. It was a loaded GT Premium with PP.

OP
OP

Skyline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord
Sounds just like First Ford in Fall River. They pulled that crap with me. I said,.. Oh yeah, see ya then because I came here to test drive it,.. Bye!!! All of a sudden, they changed their tune. If it is First Ford In Fall River, run, run fast and don't look back.
It wasn't First Ford, but thanks for the heads up. Herb Chambers of Westborough. Sounds like the dealer was just giving me crap. Won't be returning to that one any time soon. Waiting to test drive the car as I make a down payment just isn't something I want to do.

Blackdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
It wasn't First Ford, but thanks for the heads up. Herb Chambers of Westborough. Sounds like the dealer was just giving me crap. Won't be returning to that one any time soon. Waiting to test drive the car as I make a down payment just isn't something I want to do.
Well then the salesman/sales manager was being a douche. I went to Tasca in Seekonk MA and Cranston RI and test drove a GT. The Cranston Tasca has a bunch of Mustang's,.... just take a close look at them if you go through with a purchase though as the one's I saw on the lot all had various panel alignment issues.

Blackdog

Last edited:

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
When the S550 was first hitting dealers I had one dealer that would only allow test drives to customers who were ready to buy right then and there. Other dealer didn't care so I test drove there. But by now, no dealer should be pulling that crap - it's a Mustang, not an Aventador.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
The dealer where i ordered mine wouldn't let me go by myself, only with someone from the dealership. What ever as long as i was able to test drive one.

Sponsored

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
they probably discriminated againts you because you looked young and thought you might waste their time.

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
22 years old here
1st dealer let me drive alone in a premium ecoboost. didnt even ask for my license.
2nd dealer let me drive a fully loaded gt without asking for license but had the sales guy in the passenger.
3rd dealer was the same as the 2nd dealer.

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
Mustang is a joy ride car. Makes logical sense that a dealer would want to be certain that you're a serious customer and not out to flog the car, regardless of what you tell them. Money talks, right?

It may also depend on what the dealers have in stock. I went to a dealer in Los Angeles that only had two Mustang GTs on the lot back in early November 2014, one was sold and the other was for the showroom so my test drive request was politely declined. Same reasons you heard: Serious buyers, only. Unless I was ready to buy that model that day - not a chance. However two weeks later at a dealer in Houston - I test drove the car with no friction. Of course, that dealer had a lot more GTs in stock so it makes sense.

Who knows, OP? Maybe the dealer was protecting his stock against what he thought was going to be a joyride until he was sure you were serious. Don't think you should be concerned - it's pretty common, especially on performance cars.

-SeventhWard

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
I was 23 when I bought my brand new Mustang GT. And the dealer didn't even hesitate to stop me for a test drive but happily encouraged it!

These are Mustangs, not some high end luxury rare car. If a dealer did that to me, I'd visit one of the other 15 Ford dealers in the area lol. Tell them to piss off and go to another dealership, especially if you're about to drop your hard-earned money on their product.

To me, it's like that thing where you can go to war at 18, but can't have a drink at the bar until you're 21. F that.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
I had this problem with Langway Ford in Auburn (26 here). The salesman told me that no dealer would let me test drive a GT. I went to the next dealership on my list, Imperial Ford in Mendon, and they let me take out a GT and an Ecoboost without a salesman tagging along. I'm in the order process with them now and so far they have been great. I would recommend them if its not too far out of your way.
Sponsored