Tear in Frame

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Well, this is a strange one. Took the car for its first wash of the season and discovered this 2-inch gash on the inside portion of the body. Car was sold clean title with no accidents. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Do we think maybe there was an unofficial, unreported accident and repair? Had the car since August 2022 and never noticed this.

IMG_5719.jpeg

IMG_5717.jpeg
Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I'm pretty sure there's been a few threads about seam sealer breaking down and causing interior water leaks. I don't remember them looking like that though.

OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure there's been a few threads about seam sealer breaking down and causing interior water leaks. I don't remember them looking like that though.
Hmmm, I will look around for that. I was imagining it was some sort of failure and not an impact issue. Unfortunately the corrosion warranty expired in 2022 for me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I hate close ups without a wide shot. What part of the car is this?

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'll check my car, but I don't think that is a seam.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Looks like a crack in the metal to me. I don't see any deformation around it though, so probably not from an accident. Probably just because these cars are built by the blind and the sheet they used for that section had a defect and it's propagated since the original shaping

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Looks like a split in the sheet metal to me as well.

OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Looks like a crack in the metal to me. I don't see any deformation around it though, so probably not from an accident. Probably just because these cars are built by the blind and the sheet they used for that section had a defect and it's propagated since the original shaping
Sounds like shit out of luck for me?

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Now I wonder what the proper repair here is
New rear fender, including paint and labor. Massive cost for sure if done the right way.
With that said, this isn't likely to cause any problems or allow water into the car, but some seam sealer (and some grabber blue paint) to cover it up would be the route I would take personally.

But because this is a GT350, doing it correctly would be preferable for value reasons.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Now I wonder what the proper repair here is
If you take it to a body shop they will likely remove the paint down to bare metal in the area, add a fillet weld to reinforce and fill the gap, then prime and paint. Luckily the repair will be out of sight, hidden by the trunk when closed. If you get this repaired, ask if they can spray rust proofing behind the repair area to prevent corrosion. The protective coating on the back side of the metal will get burned off during welding.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Would that be covered by the bumper to bumper?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you take it to a body shop they will likely remove the paint down to bare metal in the area, add a fillet weld to reinforce and fill the gap, then prime and paint. Luckily the repair will be out of sight, hidden by the trunk when closed. If you get this repaired, ask if they can spray rust proofing behind the repair area to prevent corrosion. The protective coating on the back side of the metal will get burned off during welding.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the fender edge that's cracked and it's aluminum which can be tricky to weld. Not that it can't be done of course, but it can also be tricky to stop cracks from restarting at the ends from thermal expansion and such unless you drill holes in each. Not sure how the fender is rolled over the box section there and if it can be drilled without affecting the metal underneath?

I could be totally off though.
Sponsored