capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hello,

Does anyone know if the Syncro Shift II is alright with colder climates or is it recommended for southern climates. Also if anyone has replaced their stock fluid with the Syncro Shift II if they had any benefits
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah syncroshift II is fine for cold weather. according to reviews. Personally I use Ben Calimer combination of 75w90 Amsoil Manual Trans & Transaxle lube, and Manual Synchromesh Trans fluid. 3/4 quart 75w90 and the rest synchromesh. All-weather goodness.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Redline DCTF actually works a little better than BG SyncroShift IMHO........never tried Ben's concoction!!:sunglasses:

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
I have BG fluid in my car and winter drive it in freezing temps without issue. The fluid helped reduce the 1-2 grind and generally improved the overall shifting feel enough to make it worth doing. The MT82 is still a little rough until it warms up but once it is it’s solid.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I want to change the tranny fluid with the first oil change at 1K miles (I'm pretty close at 800+). I've read extensively that pre-2018 MT-82s profit massively from switching to BG SS-II fluid. But the few 2019+ owners who posted, noted minor to no changes. I found out Ford has been using the same DCT fluid since 2011, so I suspect Steeda might be correct that Ford started using this additive in the D4s: https://www.steeda.com/motorcraft-xl-18-mustang-mt82-transmission-additive . And if 2017- owners use it, it might behave like BG fluid. Supposedly Ford issued a TSB for that, but nobody knows anything.

Having said that, I think the BG is not DCT fluid (probably gear oil, no?), so my guess is it's not approved by Ford, right? The other aftermarket option is the Redline DCTF mentioned above, which is also a DCT fluid, but probably not approved either. The 3rd option would be to stick to OEM fluid, PLUS the Motorcraft additive linked above. What do you think would be best for my 2019 Torsen? Thx.

Redline DCTF actually works a little better than BG SyncroShift IMHO
Hey, are you using it on your 2019 MT-82? If you could elaborate on all the differences you noticed, it'd be great for the community :). I want to change it in the next couple of weeks around 1K miles, along with the engine and differential oils. Mostly to get all the assembly and break-in crap out. But in the case of the tranny, to hopefully improve the 1-2 notchiness and 2-3 'nibble'. Thank you.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
The only "problem" I had was notchy shifts and nibbling going to second gear when the car was cold with OEM Fluid!! BG SS-II helped but the Redline DCT (FORD approved) eliminated it in both of my MT82 cars!!

The FORD Additive that was mentioned is known to be hard on seals and not recommended by FORD when changing fluid........it's not needed with BG or Redline!!

GOOD LUCK!!:like:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Perfect. Many thanks. Will definitely get Redline DCTF for the tranny then. You sold me on it 100%, especially since it's approved by Ford. However, I'm still undecided what to do with the Torsen as far as brand AND viscosity. What do you think? Thx.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
What does Ford recommend in the Torsen.........75W140??

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There's no distinction in the manual, so apparently the same 75W85 as the regular LSD. I don't know what to go with. I'm going to start a new thread since I plan to tow a 820-lb trailer hauling my MT-10 bike. It might make more sense the 75W140 with that, but seems like too big of a jump, no? The most widely used is 75W90, I think. There's also 75W110.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Most dealers use 75W140 for added protection when changing......the 75W90 is used for fuel mileage improvement in new cars.......minimal improvement but I guess they can measure it??:sunglasses:

Sponsored
OP
OP
capt_sneaky

capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
When i am changing my trans fluid with the BG Syncro Shift II am i supposed to add a friction modifier or any type of additive. Also when i changed my trans fluid i followed the directions but some people say to fill it until it overflows from the fill hole which is better? can you over fill trans fluid?

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
No modifiers or additives required. They will interfere with the BG fluid doing it's job, which defeats the purpose. Just let it do its thing.

Mine is filled per Ford instructions and has been fine for 3 years.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Several owners have reported that filling the 2.7-qts specified by Ford basically puts the fluid right at the fill plug level, so I'd go by that. But what I'll do before draining it, is to remove the fill plug first (you should ALWAYS do that :D), and check where the fluid level is. If it's right there indeed, I won't bother measuring crap; just pour fluid until it comes out, and call it a day. I'm debating if BG or Redline DCTF, but will probably go for the latter, since it's the same type of fluid, and more importantly, approved by Ford. Not sure if the BG is or not. What I don't know what to do yet is for the Torsen, and which viscosity (75/85, 75/90, 75/110, or 75/140).

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
75W140 will give you the best extreme duty and heat protection FWIW and I'll bet the Torsen until cannot tell the difference in any of 'em!!:idea:

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Yeah syncroshift II is fine for cold weather. according to reviews. Personally I use Ben Calimer combination of 75w90 Amsoil Manual Trans & Transaxle lube, and Manual Synchromesh Trans fluid. 3/4 quart 75w90 and the rest synchromesh. All-weather goodness.
I'll second the Calimer cocktail. Once it warms up, smooth as a gravy sandwich.
Sponsored