OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You need everything listed in that post #1-6 plus the changes listed in #7
The changes you make in FORScan are vehicle specific for most people. You will have to post back once you get your parts.
Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What I don't understand..

In the video they made. They plug in the adapter harness which I'll make myself but they don't do anything with the USB cables.

From what I've been reading.. Won't this cause issues with Apple car Play?

I'm coming from MFT premium
Specifically for MFT to Sync 3 upgrades, regarding the hub I'm guessing that if it's like the Fusions, you don't have the power plug in the console for the hub, which you'll need to sort out just like we have to on the base cars.

Check this thread out: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199

I wonder if the 2015 premium cars have two USB connectors at the hub like the 2016+ or if it's just one like the 2015-2017 base cars. If it's just one, you'll probably want to get the dual port hub instead of the single port hub.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
I wonder if the 2015 premium cars have two USB connectors at the hub like the 2016+ or if it's just one like the 2015-2017 base cars. If it's just one, you'll probably want to get the dual port hub instead of the single port hub.
I have a premium 2015 with MFT, Nav and everything else. It only has one usb with the hub, plus a slot for the Nav card. In a hub install video I watched from OEM/Infortainment, they said that if you put in a 2 usb hub you would lose use of the usb port in front, under the radio. :shrug:

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have a premium 2015 with MFT, Nav and everything else. It only has one usb with the hub, plus a slot for the Nav card. In a hub install video I watched from OEM/Infortainment, they said that if you put in a 2 usb hub you would lose use of the usb port in front, under the radio. :shrug:
Sorry, I meant the wiring harness connectors inside the console, not the visible ones you actually use.

The way the 2016+ cars work at least, USB goes from the APIM to the hub in the console, which has a single USB port externally. But inside the console, there's another USB cable that supplies the center stack USB port through the console hub.

On base cars, both ports have corresponding parts of the wiring harness that go directly to the 4" screen sync module thing.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I meant the wiring harness connectors inside the console, not the visible ones you actually use.

The way the 2016+ cars work at least, USB goes from the APIM to the hub in the console, which has a single USB port externally. But inside the console, there's another USB cable that supplies the center stack USB port through the console hub.

On base cars, both ports have corresponding parts of the wiring harness that go directly to the 4" screen sync module thing.
I think it does have 2 there. Here is a youtube video at the point where you can see the back of the hub in a 2015 Mustang.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Yup! So on a 2015 coming from MFT, you definitely want to get the single port Sync 3 hub (and figure out a way to get power to it like the Fusion guys here: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3881&pid=94199#pid94199)
Nothing to figure out. There are 3 cables in there, if you watch the rest of the video. 3rd one is hard to see tho. I charge my phone in there all the time.

Tomorrow I get my update to Sync 3 kit, including hub. I will verify it later.

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Nothing to figure out. There are 3 cables in there, if you watch the rest of the video. 3rd one is hard to see tho. I charge my phone in there all the time.

Tomorrow I get my update to Sync 3 kit, including hub. I will verify it later.
You need the WPT1239 pigtail (or a simple old floppy disk drive connector) spliced into the 2015's old hub connector as outlined in the fusion post a user posted above in order to get the new hub to work. The 2015 connector is mich bigger and the hub is not a direct swap (whereas Sync 3 itself is).

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
You need the WPT1239 pigtail (or a simple old floppy disk drive connector) spliced into the 2015's old hub connector as outlined in the fusion post a user posted above in order to get the new hub to work. The 2015 connector is mich bigger and the hub is not a direct swap (whereas Sync 3 itself is).
True. But my kit includes an adapter. It should all be ready at Fed Ex any minute now.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
True. But my kit includes an adapter. It should all be ready at Fed Ex any minute now.
I look forward to you getting this done and your impressions. Right now I'm deciding if i want to keep my 2015 and do this change to Sync3 or trade to 2018 or to a different car/truck altogether....

Sponsored

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ahh gotcha, you bought it as a kit. I parted mine out; much bigger pain but not too bad.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
I look forward to you getting this done and your impressions. Right now I'm deciding if i want to keep my 2015 and do this change to Sync3 or trade to 2018 or to a different car/truck altogether....
I know what you mean. Hey, I am an old AF avionics troop too. F105, F4, F111, C141, to name a few. Inertial nav and later Guidance and Control. Active and reserve.

I knew when I bought it, that sync 3 was coming in 2016, but I had to have the new 50 year model. I still love the car and have done many upgrades (or had them done). They seem to have gotten all the parts and programming sorted out in this upgrade kit. My hope is it will operate as if factory installed. But we shall see. Waiting for today's delivery is the hard part, so far.

I will share my progress and impressions. But fair warning...I take my time doing this stuff. Too easy to make irreversible mistakes when you don't do it for a living. :confused:

Ahh gotcha, you bought it as a kit. I parted mine out; much bigger pain but not too bad.
Yeah, I looked at parting it out, but seemed there was no guarantee in the results. I have enough other piecemeal projects, so a "complete" upgrade kit seemed like a no-brainer for me. I know it is pricey, but if you look at what is out there for 3rd party stuff, or even dealer options, it's not that much different.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Well, bad news for me. The shipment arrived and was well packed with flexible egg crate gray foam. But upon removal I found the metal frame holding the screen was bent on one corner and in the middle of the bottom. The bends were protruding outward. There was no damage to the shipping box, however. Very strange. It may be Ok and I could probably take the frame and straighten it out, but why should I, esp at these prices? There could be some cracking inside. It looks like the unit was under stress somehow.

I called 4Dtech immediately and emailed them photos. They apologized for the inconvenience and sent out a replacement screen within minutes of my call. All good, except when I checked the tracking number it said delivery in one week! Usually when this has happened before the company overnights a replacement, so that is a disappointment. :rant:

But I will withhold my final eval until the new one gets here and I install it. Everything else in the package seems fine. There are detailed install instructions with pics. Plus, of course, they did a complete video showing install in a mustang exactly like mine.

:brokenheart:
IMG_4933.jpg

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
My screen (ordered from Ebay, not through 4Dtech) had a bent mounting bracket. It was well protected and the box showed no signs of damage. The aluminum is fairly pliable, you could try to bend/tap that down and see what happens. Nothings stopping you from taking your old system out and trying it out (aside from time). I can understand not wanting to proceed and having to take the screen out again a week from now.

For those DIYer's, the install video that was to be shot this week has been postponed due to some unforeseen issues. Hopefully soon!

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
My screen (ordered from Ebay, not through 4Dtech) had a bent mounting bracket. It was well protected and the box showed no signs of damage. The aluminum is fairly pliable, you could try to bend/tap that down and see what happens. Nothings stopping you from taking your old system out and trying it out (aside from time). I can understand not wanting to proceed and having to take the screen out again a week from now.

For those DIYer's, the install video that was to be shot this week has been postponed due to some unforeseen issues. Hopefully soon!
I am considering that. The pic is only one place it is bent.. it was worse in the center, which I pushed in. It didn't smooth out well. Also bent on the side.. Not sure it will fit evenly behind the bezel because the metal is stretched. But I might hook it up just to see if it works otherwise, and leave the dash open. I can drive my Jeep for a week.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.