SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I guess it'd be the adapter for the new hub that you'd have to make? That's the part I'm confused about. You have to make that or you can get this part from ford (WPT1239)?

Also, do you really need the FR3Z-14D202-A and FR3Z-14D202-B cables for mft -> sync3? In the 4Dtech install video they didn't switch out any cables
MFT TO SYNC3 the cables are already there..... 4.3" to sync3 you need new cables
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I guess it'd be the adapter for the new hub that you'd have to make? That's the part I'm confused about. You have to make that or you can get this part from ford (WPT1239)?

Also, do you really need the FR3Z-14D202-A and FR3Z-14D202-B cables for mft -> sync3? In the 4Dtech install video they didn't switch out any cables
The OP shows you how to make your own, which is equivalent to Fords $20 part (WPT1239). I suppose you could get it from Ford if you want. Otherwise it looks like a JST connector, a couple 22 guage wires about 4 feet in length and some terminals.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Sub

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Buy your Tyco numbers from online components.com
That site says a minimum order of 7500.

The original instructions for a base -> MFT swap mention that the Motorcraft WT-1000 harness kit works, but you needed 3 of them. Given that there's less pin swapping required for base -> Sync 3, you might be able to get away with using less.

BUT, they're not that expensive. Here's one on eBay for $10. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322493756564

For the Sync 3 hub, you can use a WPT-1239 connector. Here's one on eBay for $25. http://www.ebay.com/itm/172780567584

For those of you doing MFT - Sync 3, 4D Tech has a no-splice adapter available for $50: https://www.4dtech.com/sync-3-retrofit-usb-hub-wiring-adapter-gen-2b/

[MENTION=28081]HextallS550[/MENTION] , you've provided a lot of great info in the OP, but it seems like you have a pathological need to keep people from overspending even the tiniest amount without consideration to how much their time is worth. For me, I'd go the quicker route and spend a little more. I think this info should be added to the OP.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm trying to save people money. That was the whole point of this thread, do it yourself and don't get ripped off. My motivation from day one was the way retailers such as OEM or 4Dtech were sticking it to people. Ask the guy who had a quote from Jesse at one price and that a second quote from Jesse that went up $300 simply bc the guy had a GT350! For example that adapter you posted is about a $5 in Parts. I sell them for $10.
You need a total of 6 pins for base to Sync 3
You need 2 for MFT to Sync 3.

I'm kind of surprised [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION] I though we saw eye to eye. And let's not forget who has spent more time and money on this shit.... oh yeah, me.

Sponsored

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'm trying to save people money. That was the whole point of this thread, do it yourself and don't get ripped off. My motivation from day one was the way retailers such as OEM or 4Dtech were sticking it to people. Ask the guy who had a quote from Jesse at one price and that a second quote from Jesse that went up $300 simply bc the guy had a GT350! For example that adapter you posted is about a $5 in Parts. I sell them for $10.
You need a total of 6 pins for base to Sync 3
You need 2 for MFT to Sync 3.

I'm kind of surprised [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION] I though we saw eye to eye. And let's not forget who has spent more time and money on this shit.... oh yeah, me.
I don't think 4DTech is sticking it to people on that adapter, they're not making you buy the whole $2k swap kit like Jesse was. Where is your eCommerce store or eBay listing where you're selling those for $10?

Again, you're not considering what people's time is worth.

What I'm seeing is a lot of people being turned off by the availability and minimum order quantities for these connectors. Plus, are the ones you list even crimped onto wires like the WT-1000 kit? Not everybody has a crimp tool for tiny wires like you do.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I don't think 4DTech is sticking it to people on that adapter, they're not making you buy the whole $2 swap kit like Jesse was. Where is your eCommerce store or eBay listing where you're selling those for $10?

Again, you're not considering what people's time is worth.

What I'm seeing is a lot of people being turned off by the availability and minimum order quantities for these connectors. Plus, are the ones you list even crimped onto wires like the WT-1000 kit? Not everybody has a crimp tool for tiny wires like you do.
You think it's ok to sell an adapter that costs $5 to make for $50??
Have you considered what my time is worth? I don't have a functioning website bc on top of my job, I have my obligations to the race team, a serious girlfriend and a social life. I don't have time to design one.
I clearly stated if people have an issue contact me. I have terminals. I was just about to work with soldier989 on a kit for people to avoid any crimping at all.
What else do people seriously need from me? I take my own time and cash to investigate, I use connections to suppliers for information and then what do I do? Charge people big money? Nope. I put it all here for FREE. Yet, somehow you think I don't value people's time? Because it takes 5 seconds to send me a PM?

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You think it's ok to sell an adapter that costs $5 to make for $50??
Have you considered what my time is worth? I don't have a functioning website bc on top of my job, I have my obligations to the race team, a serious girlfriend and a social life. I don't have time to design one.
I clearly stated if people have an issue contact me. I have terminals. I was just about to work with soldier989 on a kit for people to avoid any crimping at all.
What else do people seriously need from me? I take my own time and cash to investigate, I use connections to suppliers for information and then what do I do? Charge people big money? Nope. I put it all here for FREE. Yet, somehow you think I don't value people's time? Because it takes 5 seconds to send me a PM?
Materials being 10% of a finished product isn't all that uncommon. I assume they're made by hand rather than on a machine. Perhaps you're not charging enough for your time?

I scanned the OP again and I don't see where you're selling that adapter for $10. Nor where you're selling crimped on terminals for re-pinning the APIM connector.

Don't take it personal - I'm trying to illuminate the frustrations of others.

It doesn't take much work at all to list stuff like this on eBay either, and you'll be able to sell to people on the FB groups who don't have an account here as well.

Sponsored

fordmustanglove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford mustang GT
PM sent. There are solutions to ALL of this being worked on. People needn't get worked up. Patience.
hey i appreciate your work man! i know one day a video will come or someone will make a cheap wire kit. till then ill keep it all in a box . :cheers:

Bswor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 coupe, 06 saleen clone, 15 gt
I have an early model 2015 gt and my screen has this female plug in the middle back of the screen where the mft apim plugged in. Do I need a different screen? Or did I get the incorrect sync 3 apim? It does not have a male plug on the other side.

Last edited:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Alright, so I was unable to find the part FR3Z-18842-D Non heated seats. I called AutoNation Ford WBL and Chris contacted United Radio. United Radio mentioned to Chris that it's currently out of stock and there's no ETA it could be a month or 6 months. Kind of disappointed that I got all the parts needed and waiting for this.

Can I use the FR3Z-18842-E heated seats bezel? I could find couple of used ones on eBay. Will they work fine? I don't care about the extra buttons.

Thanks

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
I have an early model 2015 gt and my screen has this female plug in the middle back of the screen where the mft apim plugged in. Do I need a different screen? Or did I get the incorrect sync 3 apim? It does not have a male plug on the other side.
You would need a sync 3 screen and APIM. The screens are different from MFT so they need to be switched out too.
swap.PNG

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Will the ACM with this number work? GR3T-19C107-CA (this is from a 2015/16 Mustang) It has both SAT and HD. Or does it also have to be FR3T-19C107-xx ?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.