SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
It's not impossible to understand. Take your time and read few times you will get it. The OP spent a lot of time and money into this and just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you have to disrespect it. There might be a video coming soon to show the process and hope that would help you.
i found Hextall's thread very easy to understand.... just takes patience.....
Sponsored

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This F-ing article is impossible to understand, it's like opening an engineering manual somewhere in the middle with no back story or directions. That being said, it's free. :headbonk:
What more do you need?

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
What more do you need?
I'm new to the S550? i don't know what the parts are called, what's a MFT? It would be great if you put all the parts in one picture and labeled them. then did a step by step on the install. That's why my complaint was that it was like opening a engineering manual in the middle. first step is too big to use your article. sorry. But thanks for asking and making the article.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I'm new to the S550? i don't know what the parts are called, what's a MFT? It would be great if you put all the parts in one picture and labeled them. then did a step by step on the install. That's why my complaint was that it was like opening a engineering manual in the middle. first step is too big to use your article. sorry. But thanks for asking and making the article.
If your profile is correct and you have a 2017, MFT is "MyFord Touch" and it's not something your car could have been originally optioned with - it was 2015 only. It's the previous gen 8" screen Ford infotainment system and is also known as "Sync 2."

2017 cars either come with the 4.3" "Sync" non-touch system or the 8" "Sync 3" touch system.

Sponsored

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
Yeah, mine is a brand new Base GT with the 4.3. I would like the button set to activate the Track mode and the 8" display.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yeah, mine is a brand new Base GT with the 4.3. I would like the button set to activate the Track mode and the 8" display.
You *could* swap MFT into your car, but you wouldn't want to. Swapping Sync 3 is what this thread is about.

Reasons why you wouldn't want to swap MFT:

• There's more much involved in terms of changes to your harness wiring to make it work.
  • MFT is not well-regarded. I personally prefer Sync 3 even for simple stuff like listening to music.
  • You won't be able to use CarPlay or Android Auto with MFT.
  • If it matters to you, the MFT screen is a matte resistive touch (like an older standalone GPS) and the Sync 3 screen is glossy capacitive touch (like a smart phone.)

Reasons why you would want to swap MFT:

• It's cheaper.
  • The non-nav units can be hacked to enable nav for free.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Read the original post it has everything that you just asked for. I'm an engineer, I make this stuff as easy as possible.

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
Read the original post it has everything that you just asked for. I'm an engineer, I make this stuff as easy as possible.
Maybe that's the problem. are there any other articles on here written is a format that doesn't use undefined terms?

Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I am an engineer too. The irony is I work on infotainment but at GM ;) :D

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
It looks like Hexstalls550 and I won't be making a video after all. I will try my best to take pics and kind of document the install as I go through it. I'm a pretty technical guy myself and had to get clarification on multiple occasions as well. I think I understand everything and if I get this up and running, I'll send whatever pics I take to Hexstalls550 and maybe we can whip something up. I am worried I will screw something up, but as long as I mark wires, it should be pretty straight forward.

fsvec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost
What terminals are you referencing?
I guess it'd be the adapter for the new hub that you'd have to make? That's the part I'm confused about. You have to make that or you can get this part from ford (WPT1239)?

Also, do you really need the FR3Z-14D202-A and FR3Z-14D202-B cables for mft -> sync3? In the 4Dtech install video they didn't switch out any cables
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.