Sponsored

Swapping rear end gears on a PP?

Casey

Threads
Reaction score
I agree that 3.73's and an MT-82 suck. My '11 Brembo GT came from the factory with 3.73's. I thought the gearing was too tall, so I had 4.56's installed. Liked the 4.56's much better! Car launched much better at the drag strip with 4.56's. 3.73's just didn't have enough low end.
3.73's too tall? Opinions. Everyone's got them. 4.56s is lunacy.
Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
I agree that 3.73's and an MT-82 suck. My '11 Brembo GT came from the factory with 3.73's. I thought the gearing was too tall, so I had 4.56's installed. Liked the 4.56's much better! Car launched much better at the drag strip with 4.56's. 3.73's just didn't have enough low end.
pretty sure squidd is talking about the opposite direction.. my guess is that the 3.55 would be the ticket for a road course with a tire that is as tall as the mustang.

beers

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Different strokes for different folks

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
pretty sure squidd is talking about the opposite direction.. my guess is that the 3.08's would be the ticket for a road course, any back country road or daily driving with a tire that is as tall as the mustang.

beers
Fixed:)

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
Different strokes for different folks
The problem is that the sheeple will parrot the "more gear is better" thing without having any clue as to why things should be geared certain ways for certain things.

There have been two people to post in this thread that understand gearing, what impacts it has, what the pro's and con's are and have had a extremely wide range of experience setting up and gearing cars for a combined 70 odd years yet they have been ignored because then masses have been brainwashed with the "the shorter the gearing, the better".

There is only one situation where a gear shorter than a 3.31 is suited and that is at the drag strip with a car running tall drag radials/slicks.

How many people will be taking their car to the strip regularly? I'm guessing less than 1%.

The MT-82 3.73 combo is just plain stupid in 99% of situations. I find it amusing that PP buyers get the 3.73 and that is the last gear you want for going around corners. People are buying the PP to go around corners right?

Sponsored

OP
OP
analogman

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

sqidd, what do you think would be a good rear end gear ratio for a GT stick for street driving? I like "spirited" driving from time to time, but I'm not going to 'track' the car. What are you going to put in your car?

Thanks again!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I agree that the PP cars should not get short gears, as these cars are meant for cornering. And you are correct that short gears are best suited for drag racing with taller tires (I run 28" tall drag radials, for example). However, I also like shorter gears for daily driving as it makes these cars much more entertaining, IMO. And, I should point out that I have over 30 years experience with gear swaps. The factory gearing is always some sort of compromise, so I always swap gears to better suite my needs & preferences.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I would much rather have the 3.55s as a balance on fun peppy acceleration. And dd benefits. As for the comments on cornering, well that depends on the course. Some courses ya want different hearing than others. Gti has some insane gear ratios lol

OP
OP
analogman

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Does anyone have a favorite supplier of rear end gears? I'm guessing aftermarket will be less expensive (and maybe even higher quality) than buying from Ford.

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

sqidd, what do you think would be a good rear end gear ratio for a GT stick for street driving? I like "spirited" driving from time to time, but I'm not going to 'track' the car. What are you going to put in your car?

Thanks again!
If I were sticking with the MT-82 I would run 3.08's.

I would rather just switch over to a T-56 Magnum with a 2.66 1st/.50 OD or a TR-6060 with a 2.66 1st/.50 OD though and keep the 3.73's.

And this wouldn't be "track" gearing. Just daily driver/back road gearing.

Sponsored

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
As for the comments on cornering, well that depends on the course. Some courses ya want different hearing than others. Gti has some insane gear ratios lol
If the course is any longer than a AutoX the gearing is too short.

I'm constantly finding myself having to shift in the corner with 3.31's..............on the street! It's annoying and counter productive.

And having to get up into 5th to cruise at 50mph is just plain stupid. If I wanted a drag car with drag gearing......I would build a drag car.

Jimdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado and R32 GTR
...I'm constantly finding myself having to shift in the corner with 3.31's..............on the street!...

And having to get up into 5th to cruise at 50mph is just plain stupid...
These are honest questions so don't blast me.

Can you explain the situation in which you're required to shift in a corner? I'm having hard time wrapping my head around that statement. I could take a guess but I don't want to put words into your mouth.

If 5th is not good. Which gear is best for cruising at 50mph?

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
These are honest questions so don't blast me.

Can you explain the situation in which you're required to shift in a corner? I'm having hard time wrapping my head around that statement. I could take a guess but I don't want to put words into your mouth.
When accelerating through a corner you can run out of gear and have to shift. This upsets the chassis, it doesn't matter how good the driver is.

If 5th is not good. Which gear is best for cruising at 50mph?
It's not that 5th gear is bad for cruising. It's that I don't want to have to throw the lever all the way up over there to go 50mph. Especially when it's geared so low that it buzzes the tires through the first two gears with only 400ish hp.

And having to row it all the way up to 5th to go 50mph is just stupid.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Does anyone have a favorite supplier of rear end gears? I'm guessing aftermarket will be less expensive (and maybe even higher quality) than buying from Ford.
You want Ford gears. Richmond seem to be fine, too. But Ford is the gold standard.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I would much rather have the 3.55s as a balance on fun peppy acceleration. And dd benefits. As for the comments on cornering, well that depends on the course. Some courses ya want different hearing than others. Gti has some insane gear ratios lol
See my post above. With the new tall tires, the 3.73s will behave like 3.50s used to. So you get your wish!
Sponsored