Sponsored

Swapping a 2016 GT driveshaft into a V6?

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
What are the specs on each driveshaft? The v6 driveshaft will shatter over 120 and I thought an easy solution would be to swap in an OEM GT driveshaft that is made for a manual with 3.55 gears. The manual is still the MT-82 so that seems simple enough. The only part I’m not sure of is if the v6 has a different differential from the GT, and any other components that may vary. I’m fine with doing any fabrication if it’s required.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
What are the specs on each driveshaft? The v6 driveshaft will shatter over 120 and I thought an easy solution would be to swap in an OEM GT driveshaft that is made for a manual with 3.55 gears. The manual is still the MT-82 so that seems simple enough. The only part I’m not sure of is if the v6 has a different differential from the GT, and any other components that may vary. I’m fine with doing any fabrication if it’s required.

The current V6 S550 is fine and very similar to the the V8 with minor changes in dimensions. It will not shatter at speed and is different from the previous generation. You can take it up to its 157mph top speed by disabling the speed governor. You should be more concerned about proper speed rated tires than the drive shaft.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The current V6 S550 is fine and very similar to the the V8 with minor changes in dimensions. It will not shatter at speed and is different from the previous generation. You can take it up to its 157mph top speed by disabling the speed governor. You should be more concerned about proper speed rated tires than the drive shaft.

Interesting. In that case what methods can I use to disable the speed limiter besides getting a tune?

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Interesting. In that case what methods can I use to disable the speed limiter besides getting a tune?
You can use a SCT tuner and disable it with the canned tune in the tuner itself. Since the V6 is EOL I bought one and got a couple of tunes from MPT just in case I got the itch after the warantee expired. That is how you disable it. But the current car goes 130 out the box so why bother - I know you want all the performance. So buy larger rims and speed rates tires and drive in Mexico...

When you are finished with that come back and I’ll tell you how to do a proper brake stand burnout in spite of traction control you can’t turn off. But that’s for another day...

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can use a SCT tuner and disable it with the canned tune in the tuner itself. Since the V6 is EOL I bought one and got a couple of tunes from MPT just in case I got the itch after the warantee expired. That is how you disable it. But the current car goes 130 out the box so why bother - I know you want all the performance. So buy larger rims and speed rates tires and drive in Mexico...

When you are finished with that come back and I’ll tell you how to do a proper brake stand burnout in spite of traction control you can’t turn off. But that’s for another day...
I’ve already installed new tires/rims. They’re 275 rears and 245 fronts, Nitto Invos. I also have Eibach lowering springs since I’m not set on getting a full suspension overhaul yet. I am used to the car after taking it to some track days, and the limiter is something I’ve wanted to get sorted. It’s nice to hear that the driveshaft is in fact better made.

I’m guessing the burnout issue requires you to disable advance trac. ?

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’ve already installed new tires/rims. They’re 275 rears and 245 fronts, Nitto Invos. I also have Eibach lowering springs since I’m not set on getting a full suspension overhaul yet. I am used to the car after taking it to some track days, and the limiter is something I’ve wanted to get sorted. It’s nice to hear that the driveshaft is in fact better made.

I’m guessing the burnout issue requires you to disable advance trac. ?

Man I’m just about to go to the local bar for a beer so I’m not going to find the detailed procedure. But basically you disable advance traction control but that still won’t let you do it as the computer will limit rpms. You then put it in sport mode, manually choose “3” and rev it to just under 3,000 and then manually paddle it down to “1” and the traction control won’t be able to stop it and there goes the tread on those speed rated tires... I’ll have to check to be sure but it goes like that.

Found it:

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Back from the bar:

I’ll add one more thing. You can take your V6 up to the platform design limits which is 575 horsepower. And that really is not some outlandish set up either. It’s a better car than was given credit for in the past but now that it’s gone it gets more respect. I have yet to race an Ecoboost as they aviod the V6 as we get almost our max horsepower on 87 and they don’t but gas is so expensive now that’s what usually is in their tank. On 93 we have 305-308 horsepower but some got 314 stock. Stock my car running on corn (an MPT tune) will give me 331 horsepower with no hardware changes at all. If you have the balls to race a GT the first couple of seconds it’s anyone’s race but then the 5.0 will pull ahead, but most exchanges at the “stop light Grand Prix” won’t go that long. I raced a Porsche Carrera 4 last year and the guy was half a car length in front of me at the standstill. He never gained in inch flat out and had to break and kiss my ass in the end due to parked cars in his lane. He was impressed!

Bottom line, I bought this car with few expectations as my former Mustangs were all 5.0s but I have been pleasantly surprised and I’m keeping this one!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back from the bar:

I’ll add one more thing. You can take your V6 up to the platform design limits which is 575 horsepower. And that really is not some outlandish set up either. It’s a better car than was given credit for in the past but now that it’s gone it gets more respect. I have yet to race an Ecoboost as they aviod the V6 as we get almost our max horsepower on 87 and they don’t but gas is so expensive now that’s what usually is in their tank. On 93 we have 305-308 horsepower but some got 314 stock. Stock my car running on corn (an MPT tune) will give me 331 horsepower with no hardware changes at all. If you have the balls to race a GT the first couple of seconds it’s anyone’s race but then the 5.0 will pull ahead, but most exchanges at the “stop light Grand Prix” won’t go that long. I raced a Porsche Carrera 4 last year and the guy was half a car length in front of me at the standstill. He never gained in inch flat out and had to break and kiss my ass in the end due to parked cars in his lane. He was impressed!

Bottom line, I bought this car with few expectations as my former Mustangs were all 5.0s but I have been pleasantly surprised and I’m keeping this one!
Oh, so using 92 or 93 without a tune is beneficial?
I forgot to mention that my car is a manual so I don’t need the cheat code to do a brake stand burnout, but thanks anyways!
My next real mod will be long tube headers. That’ll be prep for adding some forced induction, so I’m excited to start waking this car up!

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Man I’m just about to go to the local bar for a beer so I’m not going to find the detailed procedure. But basically you disable advance traction control but that still won’t let you do it as the computer will limit rpms. You then put it in sport mode, manually choose “3” and rev it to just under 3,000 and then manually paddle it down to “1” and the traction control won’t be able to stop it and there goes the tread on those speed rated tires... I’ll have to check to be sure but it goes like that.

Found it:

So just for curiosity sake, is it possible to change some parameters in forescan so we don't have to jump through hoops to fully turn off Advance Trac or have fun with some burn outs?

It'd be nice to be able to just hit the dash button to completely turn off the traction control, shift to sport mode, stab the gas pedal and smoke the tires :-D

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
So just for curiosity sake, is it possible to change some parameters in forescan so we don't have to jump through hoops to fully turn off Advance Trac or have fun with some burn outs?

It'd be nice to be able to just hit the dash button to completely turn off the traction control, shift to sport mode, stab the gas pedal and smoke the tires :-D

No idea but it should be possible. If possible I would buy a traditional line lock system and install that rather than burn up the rear brakes. But that opens up another can of worms. I would just turn off as much traction control as possible and do the third gear rev and drop to first gear thing. As I’m old school I would permanently disable ABS and traction control forever. But that’s just me...
Sponsored