Sponsored

"Surprise" PP2 Short comings for track use, not easy to remedy

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Is there a quick hack to turn the rad fans on and keep them on?
Roush supercharged cars have this feature - hold pedal brake and set+ button for 7-10sec at the same time and both fans kick off at full speed for about 5 minutes. As far as I know, there is no any mechanical device to do that, so it must be in the tune, which I guess you could do potentially as well.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Once I get done my attempt to not mow the grass on exit after my early apex/deep trail brake and start breathing again.. you bet.
Are you describing turn 5 or turn 7?

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Great, clear write-up on some interesting issues! You made me grateful I waited to buy my Mach 1 in 2021 instead of getting a PP2 a couple years earlier, heh... Although I still haven't gotten her to the track (I want to, but been having too much fun with my GT4).

I'm curious what seats you have and what solutions you have for holding yourself in place on track if they're factory seats. Although I'm sure this is another topic that's been beaten to death around here, haven't searched yet.
Check in on the tracking forum. For me I added Schroth quick fit harnesses. Adding a harness is going to solve the "smushed up against the door" issues.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
7 club course
Yeah, I get the trail-braking, but once the instructor coached me to early apex, and I promptly mowed the grass at T7 exit, and crossed over T8 to mow some more grass! LOL

Fortunately I scrubbed enough speed before bouncing.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The difference in heat generation running the car at 8/10's and 9.5/10's. Is exponential. The driver is a big x-factor to the cooling equation.

You'll see some wrap the exhaust around the diff, use 140Wt oil and have no issues.

I'm on my 2nd S550. On both, I've had to hack the hood, cut up the fan shroud, big radiator, monster oil cooler, rear diff cooler, water and water wetter, aluminum arts and crafts for radiator and oil cooler inlet ducting, open up the grill, etc. It's taken EVERYTHING to stay out of derate.
The way you drive the car make also a huge difference. You can be fast and gentle or fast and very hard on the carā€¦ or even not so fast and very, very hard on the car
As a matter of fact, usually the best drivers are gentle on the equipment

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
The way you drive the car make also a huge difference. You can be fast and gentle or fast and very hard on the carā€¦ or even not so fast and very, very hard on the car
As a matter of fact, usually the best drivers are gentle on the equipment
These temp issues have little to do with how ā€œhardā€ you are on the carā€¦ smooth driving fast still means high average load % on the engine = high temps.

Now wheel hubs, transmission, axle shafts, etc are definitely affected by how ā€œhardā€ you are.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Yeah, I get the trail-braking, but once the instructor coached me to early apex, and I promptly mowed the grass at T7 exit, and crossed over T8 to mow some more grass! LOL

Fortunately I scrubbed enough speed before bouncing.
You had a ballsy instructorā€” I never show anyone that line when my buttā€™s in the passenger seat.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
You had a ballsy instructorā€” I never show anyone that line when my buttā€™s in the passenger seat.
Since I didn't bounce I didn't mind. But it was a few seconds of pucker for sure. I was still learning the track for the first time which is why I had an instructor for about half the sessions.

He overestimated the turn in of my car for sure and I recall thinking "I don't know about this..."

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
These temp issues have little to do with how ā€œhardā€ you are on the carā€¦ smooth driving fast still means high average load % on the engine = high temps.

Now wheel hubs, transmission, axle shafts, etc are definitely affected by how ā€œhardā€ you are.
Funny why you don't have posted lap times in the lap times thread ?

I wanted to see what fast mean to you.

Regarding diff 75W140 is enough to keep mine cool but my track is short and technical so no real fast corners to work out the diff.

Regarding CHT temps yeah even if you are average fast both M1 and Regular GT will suffer in fact in 1 hot lap my GT has the same CHT temps as a M1 both driven by me in hot August day. The big difference that the cooling of the M1 is when in a cooldown lap which mean you will inevitably spend more time on track with an M1 compared to a PP1 car without cooling.

For me in fact the biggest thing that needs cooling is the brakes mine get really really hot so hot that after just a few laps the R12 front pads just don't want to work anymore and my pedal gets really hard.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

Every track has some places where you have a choice between staying in the gear you are in and basically flirting with the rev limiter until time to brake, or up shifting earlier and not revving the car as high. Why one do you think subject the cooling system, both oil and water, to a higher thermal load ?
Sponsored