Super Soft Paint on GT 2019

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Can’t believe some of are repainting these cars or certain areas of them. Although I have a huge paint flaw with a gouge from the factory that I’m going to repaint so hopefully it’ll look ok. Ford quality definitely sucks that for sure. I do enjoy the car and would consider another one. I thought dodge has bad build quality but I think ford might take the cake... and it’s all built right here in our beloved USA!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't think it's actually soft paint or even thin for that matter, but it's actually the opposite. Very hard paint. The problem with hard paint is that it's way more easily chipped. It's more resistant to scratches and swirlys though. I got my car new and even with the one free dealer "wash" with sandpaper my paint has pretty much no swirl marks at all and very few scratches.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I don't think it's actually soft paint or even thin for that matter, but it's actually the opposite. Very hard paint. The problem with hard paint is that it's way more easily chipped. It's more resistant to scratches and swirlys though. I got my car new and even with the one free dealer "wash" with sandpaper my paint has pretty much no swirl marks at all and very few scratches.
That's exactly what I read about the paint. Ford switched to a very hard clear coat that resists swirls and scratches. Downside: It chips a lot from stones. Can't win.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I have a black 18 and have only spray and wiped down the car for almost 2 years. People ask me frequently where I had the car ceramic coated (have not). Paint has hardly any marks, lines, nor swirls in it. Paint chips from road debris happens. Car was built only 30 days before I purchased it probably helped me paint condition wise. May 18 build date. Paint seems pretty solid to me.
I don't believe you.
I'd be a bit skeptical, having a several-car Black Mustang experiences. Under some ambient light conditions it's not easy to get a true reading on swirls and all that. I attended one of the Mequiars detail classes a few years back. One of the tools the presenter recommended was a kind of LED flashlight that really revealed the truth. The appliance was a bit expensive for the few times one might use it in a year, and I eventually developed a technique that utilized a piece of equipment already on hand: a point-and-shoot camera with close-up and flash capabilities. I learned to make a flash photo of the paint surface, with the center of focus/frame the flash location on the camera. The result was very disturbing when the camera was used on uncorrected paint surfaces, and very satisfying once the proper rejuvenation steps had been taken.
!Before_0081.jpg
!After_0082.jpg

OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Thanks for all the replies. The general consensus seems to be that the state of my paint is not that unusual.

To update on my original post.... I went back to the detailer and after some discussion he agreed to ceramic coat it after he had done the paint restoration. I picked the car up today and he has done a fantastic job and I am really pleased with the improvement. Let’s hope it stays this good for a while! Pics attached:
D6B0C824-3F17-448E-9AFF-6C7CCEC2A92C.jpeg
2F1ED7CC-22DB-4951-8C9D-C88E0904BE7A.jpeg
67340A36-1E83-4C8C-8F33-610CAC81D4AE.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
For those on Instagram you can see some before and after shots here to give some context to this thread.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That looks sensational!

I'm sure you're aware.......but it's now your responsibility to ensure you wash the car safely to minimize the risk of inflicting new holograms/spiderwebs/scratches. There's plenty of good information in the detailing section here. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs though!

In the meantime, enjoy that gorgeous shine :sunglasses:

OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
That looks sensational!

I'm sure you're aware.......but it's now your responsibility to ensure you wash the car safely to minimize the risk of inflicting new holograms/spiderwebs/scratches. There's plenty of good information in the detailing section here. Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs though!

In the meantime, enjoy that gorgeous shine :sunglasses:
Thanks. The detailer has actually sent me instructions on how to maintain it including not washing it at all for the first 10 days whilst the Ceramic cures!

I use it as my daily car so it will be a challenge to keep it looking this good but will certainly try.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I have 19 gt tri coat car.have a paint gauge.it measures 175 to 195 around car.had the ruby red metallic for a year and no chips etc.guess the extra money for tri coat was worth it.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Thanks. The detailer has actually sent me instructions on how to maintain it including not washing it at all for the first 10 days whilst the Ceramic cures!

I use it as my daily car so it will be a challenge to keep it looking this good but will certainly try.
I have a ceramic coated car which I maintain every 3rd or 4th wash with a SiO2 booster after washing so the hydrofobic properties will be at max. When I'm washing the car I always start with the snow foam gun on my pressure washer and most of the time it actually needs no further washing. When drying the car I use a airblower (VidaXL Blower) which has filtered air so it don't blow contaminated air on the car and it can be set with normal/warm/hot air. It results in a touchless and effective wash.

Since you're located in England you've having access to pretty much the same products as me in Denmark and I use Auto Finesse Avalanche in the snow foam gun and CarPro Reload or Valet Pro Snow Seal as the SiO2 coat booster

Sponsored
OP
OP
Totoro

Totoro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I have a ceramic coated car which I maintain every 3rd or 4th wash with a SiO2 booster after washing so the hydrofobic properties will be at max. When I'm washing the car I always start with the snow foam gun on my pressure washer and most of the time it actually needs no further washing. When drying the car I use a airblower (VidaXL Blower) which has filtered air so it don't blow contaminated air on the car and it can be set with normal/warm/hot air. It results in a touchless and effective wash.

Since you're located in England you've having access to pretty much the same products as me in Denmark and I use Auto Finesse Avalanche in the snow foam gun and CarPro Reload or Valet Pro Snow Seal as the SiO2 coat booster

Thanks for the recommendations

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I’m sorry, but there had to be something up with the previous wash / maintenance routines for it to get like it did in a relatively short timescale ... :crying:

Don’t take it as a criticism, please take it as a recommendation to look into a new / correct routine :like: :sunglasses:

WD :like:

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Unfortunately this isn't new. Ford"s had paint problems for a very long time. White full size cars (Crowm Vic, etc.) in the 80s were notorious for rust through like the old company vehicle. My 89 LX wore through the color coat on the front fender inner creases adjacent the hood just from ordinary polishing. The most recent Terminator hood looked like it went through a gravel tornado. Front bumper cover on the 16 isn't a whole lot better after only 41000 miles. I should never have let the ex keep the 64 1/2 coupe. It still looks freshly painted after 10 years.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I got my 2019 Black GT with 200 miles on the clock and have noticed since owning a lot of spiderwebs, swirls and light scratches. I decided to invest in getting it properly detailed and a ceramic coat applied to keep it looking better for longer.

My detailer called me today to advise not to ceramic coat it. In his opinion the paint is the softest he has ever worked with on a car. "super super soft" as he put it and very thin in places. He says he has to be extra careful in polishing it and suggests whilst he could ceramic it and it would look great for a while it would soon mark up and would then be much harder to sort with the ceramic on.

He says he has rung a few other detailers for their opinions too and he has effectively talked himself out of a couple of hundred quid so I am minded to believe him.

I am absolutely gutted. :crying: Has anybody else on here experienced issues with the paint like this? Is this a Ford Mustang thing? If you look at my first post on this forum someone commented then on how bad the paint looked. I have never seen black paint so bad on all my previous 10 black cars.

Not sure what I am going to do to be honest. I am sure it will look fantastic for the short term when I get it back but sounds like it will be so easy to mark up.
I noticed the same on my 19 Bullitt also the paint job is shit. It is my 5 mustang my 17 i burned through the paint easily compared to any other of my cars

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm, never heard of "thin" paint on the S550, at least not to the point where a detailer won't touch it. I know of dozens that have been successfully detailed

With all due respect to your detailer, if it was only "a couple of hundred quid" I'd be rather cautious. A reputable detailer is likely to charge at least £600 for a paint correction followed by a ceramic coating. In fact, £7-800 would be more like it.

If the paint really is thin, I'd be worried it suffered accident damage and been poorly repaired.

I'd get a second opinion. I can highly recommend a detailer near Newbury (Reading) if you're interested.
I noticed that you had to be extremely careful doing any buffing or corrections to the paint. I burned through my 17 mustang gt paint with ease. I am 54 and have painted cars and detailed hundreds of cars. I actually was fighting with my Ford dealer about defects in the front bumper and even the service writer pointed out a ton of defects in the paint. But of with 600mls it was my fault. I am done this my last mustang. Unless I restore a old one but my mind is made up it sickening especially when the dealership laughs.
Sponsored