Sponsored

Is the paint on these cars super thin? I got my first rock chips.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
You can look into some different ways to apply the paint filler too. I like using tiny syringes and dropping a drop at a time. Has helped my chip repairs look neater.
On my Mercedes, I used to use a toothpick. One little tiny drop at a time.
Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Waterborne Paint, great for reduced carbon footprint is about it.
So I am not sure what non-water based modern paints there are to compare to, but I have to say that most modern paints seem to be much, much harder than the old enamels that were commonplace back in the '80's. Clear coated catalyzed enamels from that time period were somewhat better, but even those seemed to be much more prone to scratch and swirls than most modern paints.

Are there other options that are superior?

Also, I am not sure if how Ford's Mustang paint compares yet (I have not had my Mustang long enough), but I was pretty impressed with the paint on my last two Volvos (an '10 and an '18), I was not all impressed with the paint durability on my '06 BMW, though.

Grayghostcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10r80
I have the same issue ... 5500 miles on my 2021 and I have chips on the hood from rocks already and a few chips on the wheels ...

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
My body shop owner friend told me that the factories are under very strict VOC/Environmental regulations and that is the main reason for the thinner paint. He also stated that both Red and Black have pigments that are very expensive and this further drives those coatings a bit thinner than other colors.

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
My first little chip showed up around 800 miles. Right by a headlight. I guess I need to get me a bottle of Dr. Color Chip.

Sponsored

Jay4424

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaspal
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
I personally wouldn’t bother with ppf. Sure it may protect the paint (some chips can still get through) however you’ll be driving around the place with marks in the ppf where the rocks have hit it. You’ll have a car with pristine paintwork but marred ppf. How nice will that look?? Plus the ppf may require changing when it gets very bad. Kind of defeats the purpose.
Just touch it up if you know how or worst case every once in a while get a mobile paint repair which can be be cheaper than ppf.

J.R. Mosher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 300A Grabber Blue
Took delivery of my grabber blue 2.3 on Friday. Got my first chip on the front of the hood Saturday. Had my 20 fusion for 2 years not a mark. Paint has gotten alot thinner in the last couple years plus the stang is more susceptible to road debris because it sits so low. Was gonna do touch up but that just makes the blemish more noticeable. Wraps are too expensive. Unless you plan on paying at least 6 grand for a halfway decent wrap for the whole car its not worth it cause over time the paint fades. The wrapped part will be darker than the unwrapped. It's a stang. "It's meant to be driven hard" as ford says. With it comes damage. Im ocd myself but a good way to look at it is it wouldn't be a true mustang if it didn't have blemishes.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My 28 yr old 1994 Cobra has less paint chips than any S550 I've seen... LOL... there's definitely a difference in Ford's paint quality from a "then" to "now" perspective.

I wonder how those new Broncos with same paint process are holding up for those who use them off-roading...
Sponsored