Sponsored

Is the paint on these cars super thin? I got my first rock chips.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
My 2004 Honda Accord has far and away more durable paint.
Must be the newer cars. We have a 2020 Mazda with paint comparable to the Mustang. In fact, it might be worse.
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
My 2004 Honda Accord has far and away more durable paint.
Must be the newer cars. We have a 2020 Mazda with paint comparable to the Mustang. In fact, it might be worse.
I think it varies. I had a 2014 Mercedes that chipped and got messed up in the front like nobody's business.

A 2016 BMW had almost nothing after 3 years.

Mustang chips in the first year + many other paint issues to boot. (my first pony the paint was so bad Ford bought it back)

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I think it varies. I had a 2014 Mercedes that chipped and got messed up in the front like nobody's business.

A 2016 BMW had almost nothing after 3 years.

Mustang chips in the first year + many other paint issues to boot. (my first pony the paint was so bad Ford bought it back)
Part of it might be prep and also the robotic painting process. Me and a friend of mine had almost identical Toyotas (same color, same model). Both cars had a spot on the roof in the same location that was sprayed thin enough to see.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
My '06 BMW had more chips than a family sized bag of Lays :) I swear that if I looked at it too hard it would get a chip in the hood and the area right behind the rear wheels looked like it had been sandblasted.

If you drive your care regularly, sooner or later you will pick up some road rash. No paint is immune and ceramic sealants might help some, but will never totally protect you from a rock that hits you at highway speeds.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Part of it might be prep and also the robotic painting process. Me and a friend of mine had almost identical Toyotas (same color, same model). Both cars had a spot on the roof in the same location that was sprayed thin enough to see.
My '19 pony was missing paint on all the edges of the car, UNDER the clear coat. Check out the attached photo!

So I can believe you when it comes to these robots.

Paint-Issue-1-closeup.jpg

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
You do realize it’s not the thickness of the paint but the clear coat. It is what it is so protection is key. PPF is required, ceramic is optional.

When I say paint I am including the thickness of the clear coat. I still stand by my statement. Having owned a Mustang now for over 2 years and the amount of chips I have vs. my E92 M3 that I had for 7 years. I did do PPF, right in front of the rear wheels. When I went to 19X10 ET35 wheels that rear quarter panel was eating rocks. I already had a couple, touched them up and went with the PPF. I wish I had done it since new.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Waterborne Paint, great for reduced carbon footprint is about it.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The paint is not durable at all. These cars are disposable tin cans with water colors for pigmentation and hairspray as a clear coat.
so true….

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Coming up on 4 years of ownership, have far more paint chips on the car than the 2010 Sonata I traded in at 9 years, and more than on our 2015 Rogue.

I refer to the Mustang as my "chip magnet".

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Ok, so i reached out to a place called TintWorld (a chain sort of) that has a local location. They can do the vinyl stripes that I want from BigWorm but they can also do proper Ceramic Coating. They said the stuff that comes from the dealership they can literally buff off.

Apparently, they can do a 2 layer of nano-ceramic coating. WHich sounds good?

My one question is what about the one chip on the air pillar already there? Does that have to be repainted or can they just ceramic over top of it?

2022-06-10_08h50_46.png

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Ok, so i reached out to a place called TintWorld (a chain sort of) that has a local location. They can do the vinyl stripes that I want from BigWorm but they can also do proper Ceramic Coating. They said the stuff that comes from the dealership they can literally buff off.

Apparently, they can do a 2 layer of nano-ceramic coating. WHich sounds good?

My one question is what about the one chip on the air pillar already there? Does that have to be repainted or can they just ceramic over top of it?

2022-06-10_08h50_46.png
Use Dr. Colorchip in multiple layers it fill in the chip. Once it’s level do the ceramic. You will never know it’s there.

Reactions: MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Use Dr. Colorchip in multiple layers it fill in the chip. Once it’s level do the ceramic. You will never know it’s there.
Now I have to find my color and see if they sell on Amazon or if I have to order direct LOL

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Thanks for the tip. Shipping is almost as much as the damn paint LOL but might as well get it and put it in the area with all the other detailing stuff.

2022-06-10_09h30_07.png

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
You can look into some different ways to apply the paint filler too. I like using tiny syringes and dropping a drop at a time. Has helped my chip repairs look neater.

Reactions: MCS