xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
My thoughts on the key points from the reviews of the GT - PP

Suspension - mixed opinions on handling
Handling - Most say As good or just about as good as Boss 302, though there is disagreement on that point, a step up from old GT track pack is universal
Ride comfort - universally much better
Steering - universally thought of as very good, at or near boss 302

Gearbox - seems to be universally better, especially noted a few times that it loves fast shifts

5.0 - torqueier across a broader powerband
Sounds - good but most say too refined (quiet)
Sponsored

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
In my opinion, I didn't feel much excitement from any of the reviews I just read. Based on that I'd say the new Mustang is going to have a hard time competing with the Camaro or Challenger for new customers.

I feel like I just had a blowout cruising down the interstate.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
I have to agree, the initial reviews don't seem very positive at all to me. The positive stuff being mentioned is mostly the looks, interior and ride comfort on regular roads. I'm just not sure that equates to a must upgrade for me any longer.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I feel let down....now my interest in the next gen camaro has started to pick up.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I received wildly mixed vibes, but there was some consistency in the overall message:

1) the weight makes itself apparent on the track at 10/10ths driving.

2) it's far more capable and confidence-inspiring on back roads.

3) the 5.0 needs an aftermarket exhaust.

Some editors seemed ecstatic about wanting one to own or drive again in the future. Others seemed completely non-phased by the whole thing. There were very few neutral opinions.

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I agree it's weak porridge here. Given the way new versions of iconic sports/performance cars are typically praised in the first drive reviews above and beyond their merits (which get more fully revealed in later comparison tests), if we discount an "inflation factor" from these first assessments we're left with pretty lukewarm stuff - compared to say the raves for the C7 on its release for example.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
There were a couple impressions from R&T's staff that were very positive, but most of the reviews overall could be described as a bit tepid and measured.

The handling improvement doesn't seem to be the home run people were expecting, especially on the Ecoboost, which MT said handled a bit sloppy considering its better weight distribution.

I know I might get slammed, but I'm not going to be in any hurry to buy one after reading these initial reviews. Maybe more detailed ones will change my mind later.

The Ecoboost performance times are disappointing, and the GT got slower.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Not a disaster of Mustang II proportions, but not good either.

HalfMoon

Brand Agnostic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06/Z07 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Based on the previews I am less certain about taking delivery now.

I need some good detailed unbiased reviews before I decide anything though.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
There were a couple impressions from R&T's staff that were very positive, but most of the reviews overall could be described as a bit tepid and measured.

The handling improvement doesn't seem to be the home run people were expecting, especially on the Ecoboost, which MT said handled a bit sloppy considering its better weight distribution.

I know I might get slammed, but I'm not going to be in any hurry to buy one after reading these initial reviews. Maybe more detailed ones will change my mind later.

For some reason I got a very similar feeling reading these as I did with the MY10 S197 first drives. It'll come down to a test drive. I'll be buying one either way. If they introduced that Avalanche Gray my spark might be re-lit.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

I'm with you entirely. I wasn't planning on purchasing until around April so I had the advantage to see the truth about the car. I'm definitely feeling more cautious about it now and am interested to hear some information about the GT350. If it comes in with similar pricing as the Boss that might be enough motivation to spend a bit more, but I can't drop over $50k if that's the pricing. In that case I'm not sure what I'd end up doing.

Definitely want to read and hear more reviews.

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's a bit surprising to me given the resources Ford had to work with and the major changes it's made to the Mustang's design that more progress wasn't evident to the reviewers. A cash-strapped GM did a fantastic job with the C7, what will they accomplish with the new Camaro...

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I think what we are seeing, is reviewers thinking their getting into a Pony car. And coming out with a subtle refined experience... bewildered.

Coincidentally, almost all reviewers thus far have mentioned needing a new exhaust... but that is not what they mean. They wanted a more visceral experience & are use to a shaking Pony. So far, the car is deemed too diminutive & lacking emotion... (refined?)

Honestly, when the last time you heard anyone herald a Mustang for back roads driving..?

Lastly, to frame the new Mustang up.. I want to see the GT PP vs a BMW M235i..!

Chris22888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 400a guard 50th appearance
What I got out of the reviews is same 0-60 better stopping with the Brembo break package .1 seconds slower worse gas mileage but handles better and is a better driving experience. The car is going to have to sale on looks and handling alone because it is not the fastest or most fuel efficient
Sponsored