FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I still support my statement I don’t see why you shouldn’t award the exceptional students over subpar.

just like sports since you guys like analogies. Losers shouldn’t receive trophies to make themselves feel equal. They compete and earn the trophy, not everyone gets one because it’s fair

:whew:
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I still support my statement I don’t see why you shouldn’t award the exceptional students over subpar.

just like sports since you guys like analogies. Losers shouldn’t receive trophies to make themselves feel equal. They compete and earn the trophy, not everyone gets one because it’s fair

:whew:
Hello; Well in some ways better students are already better rewarded, at least they use to be. There are numerous scholarships available for students who qualify. May be many are not government funded. I also suspect the admissions boards take into account the GPA's and test scores.

I think I used the example of how I had asked to have the trouble makers put into one class so the other five classes of well behaved students would be better served. The authorities would not allow this using discrimination as a reason.
I think the idea was since all parents paid taxes that students could not be segregated according to behavior. I argued that if an individuals behavior improved they could join the other classes, but that was not acceptable also.
I argued what about the rights of the well behaved students to get a decent chance for an education if the class was not being constantly disrupted, but the rights of the well behaved did not count.

And to your point about sports. That is one area carved out from the rules applied to the rest of society. Apparently sports are an exempted area. Let me tell another story. For some reason I was sent to watch the gym teachers physed class one day. When I got there I found the schools basket ball players were having a practice session and the non basketball players were sitting in the bleachers just watching.
The coach/physed teacher was also the assistant principal. He had arranged schedules so as to have all the basket ball team in one class. The team used the class as a practice session. Well I did not yet have enough time in for a pension so could not do anything effective. But for the times I had to watch his class all the students could be active. Might be why after a time I was no longer asked to watch his class. I also got my planning period back.
Side note- We teachers who had a home room had to make out lists of classes the students in our home rooms had. So when I would send the list of my home room students to that same coach I would add a couple of made up names to the list. Alfred E. Neuman always got an A same as the real students. Where it might take a day or two for the other teachers to get the grades back to me, but that guy had the list of all A's back in about fifteen minutes.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Why is the cost of college tuition so ridiculously overpriced is the overlooked question in public discourse? Having the kid who opts out of college pay for the kid who gets a useless degree in gender studies is abject stupidity. The government shouldn't be in the business of picking winners and losers but that shipped sailed years ago unfortunately.

It reminds me of the obvious answer (that never gets addressed) in the climate change debate. Going nuclear is the only way to significantly reduce harmful emissions, yet it is rarely mentioned in these debates.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Look at the bright side, at least now boys can compete with the girls in HS sports, so the guys have way better odds of getting a scholarship in basketball, volleyball, softball and track.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Oh look I missed this thread about school loans. sounds like mine....lol

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Don't you guys feel good that you're helping out your fellow man and children?
I don’t get enjoyment out of others running up debt and not paying it back, then having me foot their bill.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah.......without our education system where would we get the next generation of communists?
College people are really the only ones pushing for this, people with the debt and those who want to go everyone’s else is not happy they realize how stupid it is to pay for others college because they’ve done paid theirs off or aren’t going

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
A friend of mine has a AC business. Got a call to do a job and when he got to the house it was a 300k+ house and had a hummer and an escalade in the driveway. Single mom, 4 kids and no job. All free from the gov. and our pay checks. 300k house in my area is a damn nice house. Welcome to communist America. I wonder where and when the first concentration camp will show up?
Out of interest, how do you happen to know the circumstance of this persons income? Is it a possibility that they may have an inheritance or some other form of income that you don’t know about?

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I'm sure more would have went to college if they knew they wouldn't have to pay for it. I would have. LOL.. But they can pay my car off instead, I am fine with that. HAHA. Sh*t is out of control. On the other hand, I am about to unload some ammo and build an extra garage.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Of course I feel good helping my fellow man. I'm enlightened. Love helping out anyone who wants to take things from me by force to improve their lives whether it be muggers, thieves, kidnappers, etc.. Same for students who are also just victims of society.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
education pushes the nation forward.
Hello; These two posts reflect sentiments which could be valid under some circumstances but, in my opinion, not a good fit for student loan debt. Helping out my fellow man sounds good and there may be a few people who have student loan debt who are deserving of some sort of assistance. Say someone went to college and was hurt in an accident or got some serious illness and is in a bind trying to pay back the loans. If circumstances such at that were the reasons behind asking others to pay the debt, then I doubt so many would be against it.
From what I hear so far the debt forgiveness is not going to be restricted to only the genuine needy. The proposals are more the blanket sort for all with the debt from what I know so far. I do get that for some paying the loans is a chore and they have to do without to make the payments. Been there and done that myself. I will even venture a guess that some who can repay in comfort will qualify for the forgiveness. The details will make some difference in my attitude. I know this will be a side track but I would be more inclined to support government largess for the wounded vets than student loan debt.

Sure education can push a nation forward. In this thread this has been kicked around already. No point in going thru all that again. Perhaps the best way to address this is to take a look at the condition of K to 12 public education. Free in the sense of little to no cost to the students and the rest of a community pays for it. I am not going to pretend no one graduates from 12th grade with a sound basic education because some do in spite of the flaws in that system.
A number of students get a high school diploma each year and are illiterate. Why bring up that particular point? Thing is for some time already a college degree has been heading the same way. Take away the need to repay the loans will accelerate the demise in the value of a college degree.
Sponsored