Sponsored

Struts not centered in tower hole

khsonic03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP / 2016 F150 Lariat / 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Have you checked your ride height from one side to the other? Doubt it would cause that much of a difference, but worth checking.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Have you checked your ride height from one side to the other? Doubt it would cause that much of a difference, but worth checking.
Yes. They are only about 1/8" or less difference left and right. The driver side slightly higher.

JustDSM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
I have about 5mm difference between my left and right strut shafts in the tower hole. Both were identically aligned (zero side/side variance) and it was either 5mm or 5.5mm difference. The driver side on my car needed to be that 5(+)mm more inboard to get identical specs.

I think it's probably just tolerance stacking.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I have about 5mm difference between my left and right strut shafts in the tower hole. Both were identically aligned (zero side/side variance) and it was either 5mm or 5.5mm difference. The driver side on my car needed to be that 5(+)mm more inboard to get identical specs.

I think it's probably just tolerance stacking.
Interesting. Can you explain what you mean by tolerance stacking?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
One possibility is that you have some tilt in the chassis. If one side is low & the other high, that will make the situation you're seeing. If you measure ride height (subframe bolt heads are usually a good point to use on the car, but I'll have to look for a clear recommendation) from a flat surface, you should be able to see this.

All cars will have a certain amount of twist. If you can adjust the front ride height to be flat (with driver weight & 1/2 tank fuel) and take whatever twist that exists at the rear, that's about as good as you can get.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
One possibility is that you have some tilt in the chassis. If one side is low & the other high, that will make the situation you're seeing. If you measure ride height (subframe bolt heads are usually a good point to use on the car, but I'll have to look for a clear recommendation) from a flat surface, you should be able to see this.

All cars will have a certain amount of twist. If you can adjust the front ride height to be flat (with driver weight & 1/2 tank fuel) and take whatever twist that exists at the rear, that's about as good as you can get.
I would think it's got to be pretty close to even with me sitting in the car since the driver side is about 1/8" taller than passenger side without my weight. But this seems in line with typical lowering springs. You're not gonna get exactly equal ride heights on all 4 corners, at least I don't think. Unfortunately no way to adjust ride height let alone corner balance without coilovers.

DeepImpact89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2016 Mustang GT
I know this is an old thread, but did you guys ever figure this out? I am dealing with the same thing.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I know this is an old thread, but did you guys ever figure this out? I am dealing with the same thing.
I never figured this out. I gave up - car performs fine.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I never figured this out. I gave up - car performs fine.
Could be camber from the factory. I have similar problem last time on the rack where on one side I was getting like 1 degree of camber less than the other side. Turned out it was the eccentric bolt for the OEM camber adjustment that was not fit properly by the shop that install my Coilovers. Needed to take both wheels out and measure space between strut and brake disk in order to set the camber right and to change the eccentric bolt position. This is a 185 ft/lbs bolt. In the end it turned out ok and in maxed out position I have -3.22 on one side and -3.21 on the problem right side. Hope this helps.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Just saw this pop up. I'm on my second S550 chassis now and both have this same situation. I think it's just tolerance stacking.

So basically either don't worry about it if you're happy with your numbers. Or if you're feeling like it, you can shift the front subframe. Or install upper knuckle bolt eccentrics.
Sponsored