Sponsored

Strong Oil Smell While Idling?

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Hey guys was just wondering if anyone else got a strong oil smell while idling with their modded stangs. I have a tune, but the only really mods that would could cause this I would assume would be my UPR Catch can and my Magnaflow Comp exhaust.

When I am in line waiting for a cash wash/ drive through I can smell the oil coming through the vents and all around. No smoking issue.

What should I check to make sure everything is running OK? I have the car sprayed with rust protection and it is a black car, so looking for oil spots is hard in the Engine Bay :(.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Since I don't know the mileage on your car, I will chime in here. Mine smelled of oil for a few hundred miles since new. I only have 1,600 on now and it doesn't smell now. I figured it was oil from manufacturing burning off.

OP
OP

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I have roughly 10,000 Miles on the car.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Hey guys was just wondering if anyone else got a strong oil smell while idling with their modded stangs. I have a tune, but the only really mods that would could cause this I would assume would be my UPR Catch can and my Magnaflow Comp exhaust.

When I am in line waiting for a cash wash/ drive through I can smell the oil coming through the vents and all around. No smoking issue.

What should I check to make sure everything is running OK? I have the car sprayed with rust protection and it is a black car, so looking for oil spots is hard in the Engine Bay :(.
Something else going on you don't want to tell us about? JK

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
But is the exhaust or the rust proofing or other parts newly installed? If so, give it a while. If not, then I don't know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope the mods have been on for 6 months+. I live in Canada, we have heavily salted roads. During the winter months its very normal to use the Touchless car washes to get all the snow and gunk off the underbody.

I generally dont like car washes, but given the choice of salt and grim on the body, I will take the touchless car wash twice a week over anything else. I winter prep the car, and I have ceramic pro nano coating on the paint btw.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Speaking of salted roads. I'm sitting here looking out my front window. It's 36° and raining. There ain't a drop of ice or snow on the road and this allegheny county salt truck is going up and down the road with his plow down.
Get a light and look around the car. Maybe you have something stuck to the exhaust. Maybe you hit a beaver and have beaver fat burning off.

OP
OP

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, I usually do a visual inspection after the car wash when I fill up to make sure the touchless wash didnt fuck anything up lol and if I hit a beaver something would have cracked or broke, those things are dense mothers, kinda like running a raccoon over. Those things are strong enough to crack your bumper or fender if hit straight on.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I get that too sometimes, check on the front of your block left side. More than a few of us have an oil spot there, no one knows what causes it, but I imagine it's the cause of the smell for me,

Sponsored
OP
OP

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that too sometimes, check on the front of your block left side. More than a few of us have an oil spot there, no one knows what causes it, but I imagine it's the cause of the smell for me,
I guess I'm happy I'm not the only one. But fcuk, if I idle for more than a few minutes I get light headed sometimes.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Besides deer, our road kills around here are kinda small. The first time I came across a dead raccoon while driving the Mustang, I had to cringe. I'm thinking about guts and shit all under the car. Obviously there was no way of getting around it or stopping. But the car cleared it just fine.
If you guys have an oil spot on the block. Is the oil coming from a gasketed bolt on part or is the block porous enough to leak?

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I just changed the oil in my car and now I also have an oil smell.

I noticed that when I unscrewed the oil filter the power steering wiring got soaked in oil. So I think that is the source of my oil smell even though I wiped off as much as possible

Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I had a similar issue and the fix for me was a new oil filter. The oil filter I removed had a warped seal. It was leaking oil which was hitting the exhaust manifold and cats. Worth checking.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Besides deer, our road kills around here are kinda small. The first time I came across a dead raccoon while driving the Mustang, I had to cringe. I'm thinking about guts and shit all under the car. Obviously there was no way of getting around it or stopping. But the car cleared it just fine.
If you guys have an oil spot on the block. Is the oil coming from a gasketed bolt on part or is the block porous enough to leak?

It's not the block itself, it's coming from a gasket of sorts, though I can't pinpoint where. I was hoping my dealership cared enough to take my concern seriously, but no.
Sponsored