Stripped screw under hood for engine cover

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
After an oil change it was late at night I was trying to hurry up and I guess stripped a screw for my engine cover what could be done to fix/repair this?
2DC39277-2BB8-41F7-8914-BCD841FAB30D.jpeg
76315ECF-D8F6-4444-A23F-5437E845C9E8.png
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Why not get a new screw? Or you could do a ghetto fix like I've had to in an emergency and dremel a flat spot so that you can tighten/loosen it with a flat head screwdriver.

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Why not get a new screw? Or you could do a ghetto fix like I've had to in an emergency and dremel a flat spot so that you can tighten/loosen it with a flat head screwdriver.
There is a portion of the screw still in place lol I don’t know how to remove it

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Like he mentioned. Use a dremel tool with a grinder / cut off wheel and carefully grind a slot in the broken off screw, then screw it out with a flathead screwdriver.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Oh my bad, that's a broken screw not stripped. I didn't see the pics clearly enough I guess.

You'll need to use a screw extractor. First, go get a carbide drill that's small enough to make a small hole in the center of the screw. Then you get a screw extractor that's about the same size and slowly twist it in until it bites into the broken screw. Then it should start taking the screw out.

I used this method to get a stripped screw out of a SCAR's barrel. Tiny screw that had a ton of carbon buildup. If it worked well in my application, it'll work great for you.

Here's an example video

OP
OP

Oxford white 10r80 gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Oh my bad, that's a broken screw not stripped. I didn't see the pics clearly enough I guess.

You'll need to use a screw extractor. First, go get a carbide drill that's small enough to make a small hole in the center of the screw. Then you get a screw extractor that's about the same size and slowly twist it in until it bites into the broken screw. Then it should start taking the screw out.

I used this method to get a stripped screw out of a SCAR's barrel. Tiny screw that had a ton of carbon buildup. If it worked well in my application, it'll work great for you.

Here's an example video

Is this costly?
Sponsored